Malaysian Border - Sungai Kolok

As this area is under military law and very disrupted would not be planning any travel there myself - especially travel that can be avoided. Do not know border hours but expect they may have been shortened with the current conditions and lack of visitors crossing. It may also be hard to find transportation but, again, I don't know. What I do know is that I would not stop in any border bars/restaurants without keeping very alert. Be careful.

As this area is under military law and very disrupted would not be planning any travel there myself - especially travel that can be avoided.  Do not know border hours but expect they may have been shortened with the current conditions and lack of visitors crossing.  It may also be hard to find transportation but, again, I don't know.  What I do know is that I would not stop in any border bars/restaurants without keeping very alert.    Be careful.

Appreciate the concern lopburi. Last time I went there I got a minibus directly from Hat Yai to the border, out the minibus walk straight over into Malaysia without stopping. The border is a fairly quiet place away from town.

I'll let you know how I get on.....

Crystaldive, I went to Khota Baru over a year ago and had all my documents to apply for a Multi Non-Imm 'O' but was only given a Double Entry.

I was told that they had a PC problem and so couldn't change the info printed on the visas (ie type of visa, number of entries etc.)

This was shortly after the prices of visas skyrocketed and it made me wonder if it was to get me to go back to the embassy more or less every 6 months or so.

Have you ever had any problems before with Khota Baru?

If i were you, i would follow lopburi3's advice. Things are still unstable in that area. Even the Malaysian Govt are telling their malaysian people to stay away from that border especially now coz it is the moslim festive season.

But for hadyai - sadao, so far no problem from what i have seen.

Anyway, if you still prefer a speedy visa than a safe one. I wish you luck and please becareful.

And do avoid going on a Friday, most riots or anything violent action by the moslim will happen after their friday prayers in the afternoon.

Explorer :o

If i were you, i would follow lopburi3's advice. Things are still unstable in that area. Even the Malaysian Govt are telling their malaysian people to stay away from that border especially now coz it is the moslim festive season.

Anyway, if you still prefer a speedy visa than a safe one. I wish you luck and please becareful.

And do avoid going on a Friday, most riots or anything violent action by the moslim will happen after their friday prayers in the afternoon.

Explorer  :o

The unrest in the Deep South still continues. There is one western guy killed this year while he was walking around. The Muslim insurgents do kill anyone, anywhere and anytime when they have a chance. So I advise you exercise precaution if you like to get through there.

Appreciate all the concern chaps. My thoughts had turned to going elsewhere but the main problem is that I'm re-locating to LOS full time and am in the process of opening up a new company, closing down in UK etc.

Me and my lawyer have already drawn up necessary paperwork/letters for me to go down and get my non-imm from Kota Bharu.

If it wasn't for the problems in the south, I would recommend this consulate to anyone. Get you application in before 11am and pick it up the next morning. The consul guy down there is really friendly too. I have always gotten my visas from there, non-imms and tourist. I reckon it helps speaking Thai as well though!

I'm leaving tomorrow (Tuesday) Flight to Hat Yai, minibus straight to the border and into Malaysia. No more than 10 mins in Sungai Kolok!

I'll give a full report when (and if) I return.....

• 2 weeks later...

Explorer  :o

The unrest in the Deep South still continues. There is one western guy killed this year while he was walking around. The Muslim insurgents do kill anyone, anywhere and anytime when they have a chance. So I advise you exercise precaution if you like to get through there.

I'm very intrested to know the precise source of that information. Much obliged.