Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Assuming we get through we will face St Patricks Ath or Legia Warsaw in the next qualifying round. In 1998 St Pats got a draw 1-1 I think or maybe 0-0 in the 1st leg at Parkhead but Celtic won the 2nd leg 2-0 in Dublin. Pats got a 1-1 draw in the first leg in Warsaw. The Poles equalized in the last minute of injury time. Hopefully Pats will get through and ensure a big occasion for the Dublin leg.

Why do you support a scottish team?????, or am i reading into this too much

Why Not? Many Irish people support Liverpool, Man Utd and City, Chelsea etc.

On the face of it a straight enough answer to an oddly worded question, but in classing celtic alongside Liverpool, Man Utd and City, Chelsea etc., Sallty old son is being a trifle disingenuous. They are normal football clubs, celtic are not. Liverpool, Man Utd and City, Chelsea etc., do not fly the Irish flag, do not have pro-IRA chanting, do not sing pro-IRA songs etc.

Assuming we get through we will face St Patricks Ath or Legia Warsaw in the next qualifying round. In 1998 St Pats got a draw 1-1 I think or maybe 0-0 in the 1st leg at Parkhead but Celtic won the 2nd leg 2-0 in Dublin. Pats got a 1-1 draw in the first leg in Warsaw. The Poles equalized in the last minute of injury time. Hopefully Pats will get through and ensure a big occasion for the Dublin leg.

Why do you support a scottish team?????, or am i reading into this too much

Why Not? Many Irish people support Liverpool, Man Utd and City, Chelsea etc.

On the face of it a straight enough answer to an oddly worded question, but in classing celtic alongside Liverpool, Man Utd and City, Chelsea etc., Sallty old son is being a trifle disingenuous. They are normal football clubs, celtic are not. Liverpool, Man Utd and City, Chelsea etc., do not fly the Irish flag, do not have pro-IRA chanting, do not sing pro-IRA songs etc.
firgetting the politics of a minority celtic and that the prem lge have isolated themselves from the rest of football in the uk. celtic are a huge football club with aproud history and have a huge following ,why shouldnt an irishman follow them? and if you knew much bout football in a weird sort of way fans sort of have little choice in who they support inate vocation, pier pressure, maybe who knows,, but it grabs u and sort of dictates.rather than the other way around. Edited by rijit

....Celtic were handed a 3-0 ‘walkover’ win to take the tie on away goals and are slated to play Maribor of Slovenia in the play-off round.

But in an open letter, signed by chairman Dariusz Mioduski, Legia have asked to meet Celtic in a one-off match in either Warsaw or Glasgow to conclude matters on the field.

After recalling proud moments in Celtic’s history, such as their 1967 European Cup win, the letter read: “I appeal to men, that you have established to the best traditions of honour and integrity… the 126 years were characterised by your great club.

“Do not destroy the beautiful heritage that you have left in the care of previous generations, ‘The Bhoys’.

I challenge you, would you in the spirit of the game and fair play, and on the basis of Article 34 paragraph 5 of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations… meet in Warsaw or in Glasgow and let’s settle this matter honourably.”

What a chancer!

cheesy.gif

Edited by Chicog

Article 21, paragraph 2, of the Uefa Disciplinary Regulations state, “A match is declared forfeit if a player who has been suspended following a disciplinary decision participates in the match.” There is no ambiguity or lateral for the Disciplinary Body to exercise a different reprimand.

Legia’s appeals can carry on all the way to the Court of Arbitration for Sport but Celtic will not be involved in any future issues. NK Maribor represent a vastly, vastly, greater risk to their Champions League aspirations.

Fine report, Salty old son.

Don't despair . . . a long way to go.

Thought you were a misguided straw-clutcher when i first read this after yer miserable Polish outing. Now i know you to be the true Messiahlaugh.png

A 3-0 win at St Johnstone in our opening League game tonight. I woke up and caught the 2nd half on streaming. Celtic looked far from assured and St Johnstone looked just as likely to score. Craig Gordon blocked a shot around the post more by luck than anything else. The opening goal came in 55 minutes when Commons won the ball with a sliding tackle and it set Stokes free. He took it round the keeper and scored from a tight angle. Slapstick defending by Celtic almost conceded a penalty but it looked as if the ref got it right. Soon after Celtic got a penalty when Boerighter on a sub showed good anticipation to race onto the ball in the area. St Johnstone defender behind him caught him and was sent off. Biton scored from the penalty. The 3rd from McGregor which Mannus in the Saints goal should have saved.

There was a shot of a gentlemen in the stand with his laptop open no doubt from Maribor. He won't have seen anything to cause him sleepless nights.

• Like 1

A 3-0 win at St Johnstone in our opening League game tonight. I woke up and caught the 2nd half on streaming. Celtic looked far from assured and St Johnstone looked just as likely to score. Craig Gordon blocked a shot around the post more by luck than anything else. The opening goal came in 55 minutes when Commons won the ball with a sliding tackle and it set Stokes free. He took it round the keeper and scored from a tight angle. Slapstick defending by Celtic almost conceded a penalty but it looked as if the ref got it right. Soon after Celtic got a penalty when Boerighter on a sub showed good anticipation to race onto the ball in the area. St Johnstone defender behind him caught him and was sent off. Biton scored from the penalty. The 3rd from McGregor which Mannus in the Saints goal should have saved.

There was a shot of a gentlemen in the stand with his laptop open no doubt from Maribor. He won't have seen anything to cause him sleepless nights.

In one more year Rangers should be back in the mix. Bet you are all looking forward to having the big games back eh.

UEFA have booted out Legia Warsaw’s appeal against their Champions League exit meaning Celtic WILL face Maribor in the Champions League play-off round.

The Poles had appealed the severity of their punishment for fielding an ineligible player in the second leg of their 6-1 aggregate win over the Scottish champions.

European football’s governing body heard their case yesterday but today agreed not to overturn last week’s decision.

Legia forfeited their 2-0 win at Murrayfield after bringing on defender Bartosz Bereszynski in the 86th minute in the belief that he had served a three-match European ban.

UEFA’s punishment saw Celtic handed a 3-0 ‘walkover’ victory which handed them an aggregate win on away goals.

A 6-1 win for the Bhoys on the return to Parkhead and after Fergus McCann unfurled the flag. Celtic ahead after 4 minutes through loan signing Denayer after a corner. Bad defending by Dundee Utd and they were caught again when Commons headed in from another corner in 27 minutes. Soon after Johansen robbed a DU defender who dawdled and easily beat the keeper. 3-0 HT.

A Stokes free kick made it 4 in 54 minutes and Berget got 2 more in 62 and 90 minutes. Rabkin scored for DU in 72 minutes.

While it was an easy victory Jackie McNamara will be far from happy with his defense. Celtic looked shaky in defense and Gordon made a few good saves. Van Dyjk made a few good blocks at cruical stages. The gentleman from Maribor took in this game also and no doubt is on his way back to Bucharest with his notes.

Difficult to know whether Celtic can avail of their luck against Maribor. Better today but aided by some awful defending by the opposition. The Romanians are unlikely to be so generous and I would be concerned about our own defense.

As I watched the game I kept one eye on Man U Swansea on at the same time. One of our former players Ki gave Swansea the lead with a well placed finish and the Swans went on to win 2-1.

Difficult to know whether Celtic can avail of their luck against Maribor. Better today but aided by some awful defending by the opposition. The Romanians are unlikely to be so generous and I would be concerned about our own defense.

Here Salty old son, aren't these Maribor fellows from Slovenia?

Maribor 1 Celtic 1

A draw gives Celtic a decent chance of qualifying for the CL proper. It has to be said that Maribor are far inferior to Legia and the Poles must be livid watching this. They surely would have wiped the floor with Maribor.

As in Warsaw Celtic went ahead early through McGregor. Berget freed near the end line put in a harmless shot straight at the goalie who blocked it with his feet. The ball rebounded to McGregor who fired it in. Celtic were comfortable then Stokes who was at his most irritating all night had a dreadful pass back to put Celtic under pressure. After 13 minutes a Maribor goal. Celtic asleep for a through ball Gordon could have been quicker off his line and Bohar fired past him. Maribor defense also very dodgy. Mulgrew had a header taken off the line from one of a few Celtic corners. Gordon had a good save to concede a corner. Stokes going offside as per trademark when he should be holding it up Then Van Dyjk headed in a corner which Johansen standing on the line blocked from going in. I could have strangled him. Celtic had about 60% possession but towards half time Maribor came more into it. Gordon made another decent block and the rebound was fired over.

Maribor started the 2nd half on top. A good effort over the bar and then a good tackle from Denager. Celtic began to get on top again but Stokes gave a poor pass in a promising position. Izaguirre who was also poor had a terrible pass which had Celtic back peddling. McGregor who was playing well made a good break and crossed for Stokes who was appealing for a penalty after a header but did not look conclusive on replay. Stokes then had a terrible shot and shortly after wide. Commons did not start and I felt he should have been brought on as a 2nd for Celtic would have us in a very strong position. In 71 minutes Johansen was right through but instead of shooting took a dreadful touch which removed the danger. A minute later Kayal was taken in the area which should have been a Celtic penalty which was not given. Right in front of the goal line official but as usual you could shoot someone and these spares would just stand there. Van Dyjk had a good shot shortly after . Celtic well on top in term of chances and you were hoping for a 2nd goal. In the closing stages Maribor began to press consistently. Celtic gave away a few stupid free kicks and Ambrose on with about 15 minutes to go gave it away needlessly. Knowing the frailties of our defense it was still very anxious. Celtic got a corner in injury time but instead of getting it across started playing silly buggers to waste time.

I suppose we will be favorites to go through now but with our defensive frailties you can never be certain. They could easily score in Parkhead which would lead to some very anxious moments. I hope Commons plays for most of the match and it would be good to have Matthews back as well.

• Like 2

Comedy moment heading your own players goal-bound volley away, while standing on the goal line between the posts. Second only so far this season to the ref spraying vanishing marker into Cazorla's face.

Only saw the highlights from last night - your forward line up looks useful in the air from set pieces. 1-1 away - job done surely? The Parkhead faithful are capable of intimidating little Maribor into submission, or has it all gone too civilised up there since everything went seated? Went there in the 70's and the place frightened the $hit out of me - and I wasn't an away supporter!