Where To Buy Bulk Whole Grains In Thailand

rjj04

I've looked and looked, no luck. Anybody know where to get whole grains? Also millet, amaranth, buckwheat, etc. ???? I am not talking about flour, I mean the grains with the husks still on as they come from the fields, and not after processing the heck out of them to remove all the fiber.

I went on a diet a decade or so ago, and lost 20kg, and felt great. Diet is in a book called Long Life Now. Anyway, now in Thailand, I'd like to try it again for a year or two, but can''t find any whole grains. Also, need legumes/beans back they seem easier to come by.

• 1 month later...

Villa Markets in BKK have both bagged legumes and whole grains, though their supply varies by store and what day you go looking. I buy oats and millet there regularly, and see split peas, chick peas and a few others.

They have Hahne oats from Australia, Arrowhead Mills brand millet, barley and a few others from the U.S., and the various legumes usually in just bulk plastic bags...I presume because the latter get bought/used for local Indian food cooking.

The prices, however, seem pretty high compared to what I was accustomed to in the U.S.

Hyper... I shop regularly at Tesco and/or Carrefour, usually at On Nut... But I've never noticed Hahne oats there....

Which location are you finding them... and what section of the stores... cereals.... or grains/pasta???

PS - I got the brand wrong earlier... Villa at Soi 11 and Ploenchit Center are stocking 1 kg bags of Lowan-brand oats for 130 baht. That's what I've been buying. They do, however, stock a variety of other Hahne brand products. Both brands from Australia.

By the way, something good that Villa also has been stocking lately (for 149 baht per package) is Nairns rough oatmeal oatcakes, which basically are a thin, round-shape oatmeal cracker made with wholegrain oats and no sugar or gluten. Actually very tasty, pleasant and satisfying. They go great with a spread of peanut butter on top, very good for a healthy snack...

Thanks....