Kuala Lumpur Restaurant Recommendations

Chuckler

Not too far from KLCC - There are some decent restaurants in Bukit Bintang - French - Le Bouchez (I think), and a good Italian up the hill a little.

Star Hill Shopping gallery (KL's equivalent of Gaysorn Plaza but bigger) has some good eateries in the basement.

For the Visa Runners with a few hours - day to kill: Bukit Bintang is also a reasonable shopping area... Sun Gai Wang Plaza is KL's answer to MBK...

KLCC area is a rather slack...

Edited by richard_smith237

I like Sungei Wang because that's where the cute ethnic Chinese Malaysian girls go and dress sexy and show off skin...

Not "all covered up" like the rest of the Malaysians.

:o

Well the Malay Malaysian woman I knew quite well "dressed sexy and shoed skin" and she liked a glass of wine or two and she was Muslim, obviously not devout, so don't generalise.

To the OP. The food courts in Suria KLCC are crap as are most in that area. As said above get yourself over to Jalan Bukit Bintang are around the intersection with Jalan Sultan Ismail. If you head down Bukit Bintang away from the Maccy Dees you'll come across a small road Jalan Changkat Bukit Bintang (KFC on corner). Turn down there and about 100 metres or so, just as it starts to run down hill, there is a pretty good Thai restaurant if you don't fancy curry or any of the other foods. Whatever you do avoid either of the two Ship restaurants "The Best Steak in Town" as they are utter <deleted>.

KL is a great city with lots to offer if you have time to hunt them out.

I like Sungei Wang because that's where the cute ethnic Chinese Malaysian girls go and dress sexy and show off skin...

Not "all covered up" like the rest of the Malaysians.

:D

Well the Malay Malaysian woman I knew quite well "dressed sexy and shoed skin" and she liked a glass of wine or two and she was Muslim, obviously not devout, so don't generalise.

Gee why didn't I think about that? :o

And while we're at it:

Don't say Thais have a hard time in English coz there are some who speak

English well. That'd be generalizing!

Don't say Americans are more confrontational than Asians, coz I know some Asians who are confrontational and Americans who are not. I'd be generalizing!

Don't say that...

(List goes on and on, yea?)

I'm in KL right now and one thing to look forward to here, which I have never had in Thailand, is the McDonald's Quarter Pounder.

(To McD bashers: Okay, okay! We know you have sophisticated tastes. Happy? :o )

Nestle Ice cream in 7-11 also has an excellent Ice Cream Bar called "Trophy". The chocolate is very thick and the ice cream is very creamy... almost like a Haagen Dasz and it's only 20 Baht (2 MYR)! Nestle Trophy is also available in Bangkok but for some reason, it sucks! (Chocolate is thin, tastless, and ice cream is thin as well).

There are many low-end restaurants right off the main roads (not on the main roads themselves) with really good lamb/chicken curry, etc for about 70 baht; similar to what you'd find deep inside Nana for 150-200 baht; much cheaper in KL.

Latest update for KL foodtrip:

Very near the embassy (about 1 km down the road on Ampang) is the Roadhouse Grill (charbroiled steaks).

I had the sizzling mixed platter of beef, chicken, and lamb with baked potato for about 550 baht, 600 baht including my coke.

Not superb but not bad either. Certainly wouldn't be that cheap in Bkk for the same thing.

On a narrow street parallel to Bukit Bintang, somewhere behind Low Yat plaza and Sungei Wang, are Chinese food laid out to choose and order at a very low price. You can eat either on the street or inside their cheap restaurant, your choice.

I had sweet'n'sour pork, lemon chicken, morning glory with garlic, stir fried noodles, salted fish fried rice, and a diet pepsi... all for 145 baht. In Thailand, for that selection of (cantonese) chinese food, you'd have to sit down and order in a semi-pricey restaurant and spend about 150 baht PER dish. Thai-chinese food is available on the street in yaowarat and the like; but aside from duck noodles, the thai-chinese food is just that... thai-chinese. Not the yummy cantonese food like sweet-sour pork and lemon chicken, etc. that we can eat in Panda Express in the States.

*Okay Hongkies, maybe it's not "authentic" cantonese food; but I must've heard it somewhere that this type of chinese cuisine is cantonese inspired... ? Unlike thai-chinese food which is taichew inspired...?

Enjoy yourself in KL when you do go... :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

if you like lebanese food, Tarbush is great.

also Crystal Jade if you like chinese dumplings...

my 2 favourites in KL.

i dont care for malay food much, they put some shrimp/dried clam paste in everything....awful.

I find the food in KL particularly uninspiring but did have a couple of really good (and expensive) meals at the Renaissance hotel (some of the best Chinese food I ever had) and at the Crowne Plaza (Japanese).

• 5 months later...
preferably near KLCC?

Pelita has good nasi kandar, about a five minute walk on Jln Ampang from KLCC (heading towards Ampang Park).

As mentioned above, Jln Alor in the evening for Chinese food. Tarbush on Bukit Bintang for great Lebanese.

• 2 weeks later...
preferably near KLCC?

Pelita has good nasi kandar, about a five minute walk on Jln Ampang from KLCC (heading towards Ampang Park).

As mentioned above, Jln Alor in the evening for Chinese food. Tarbush on Bukit Bintang for great Lebanese.

U can't miss the Pelita's "ayam madu" (honey chicken),one of the best malay dish i ever had :o

as for chinese food u really need to go with the local msian,they know all the hidden gem