I Need A Small Translation...

Ier

Hi, I'm new around here and I'd like to know if someone would be so kind to translate this words for me. I'm getting a tattoo and I don't want to end up with the wrong words.

I protect my family and my family protects me

and also

Beyond time.

Beyond space.

Beyond life.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and just for curiousity, my name: Javier

Ps.: I posted this on the tattoos forum but no-one replies and I see daily replies on "this side" of the forum, so I thought it would be worth giving it a try.

Hi, I'm new around here and I'd like to know if someone would be so kind to translate this words for me. I'm getting a tattoo and I don't want to end up with the wrong words.

and also

Beyond time.

Beyond space.

Beyond life.

Thanks in advance.

Ps.: I posted this on the tattoos forum but no-one replies and I see daily replies on "this side" of the forum, so I thought it would be worth giving it a try.

You might want to put "beyond" into context. It could be translated a number of ways. :o

and also

Beyond time.

Beyond space.

Beyond life.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to put "beyond" into context. It could be translated a number of ways. :o

I meant something that is beyond time (lasts longer than time), beyond space (is farder than what can be seen) and beyond life (it lasts longer than life itself)... Something eternal that never ends and that is bigger then eveything. That's what I mean with "Beyond"

Eternal (Adverb) - นิตย์

Eternal (Adjective) - นิรันดร

Beyond life? You mean after death (as in afterlife)? The issue is, I think, that these terms are emotive terms in English that do not really carry in Thai, so even translations would be unhelpful (as no one would understand why you have Ghost tattooed on your arm).

สัจธรรม is a good term - it means 'the eternal truth' (not word for word literally of course) - Dharmic truth.

Also when you say 'protect' do you mean 'care for', 'look after', 'defend', 'shelter', 'control'...Thai language has a lot of words for our one 'protect' that carries different connotations. Can you explain a little more what you actually mean (I have an idea - but that would be my take, not yours).

Javier - Is that pronounced 'Jay-vee-er' or 'jav-ee-er' or 'jav-ee-ay'?

Edited by wolf5370

For these flighty, faux-ethereal tattoo requests, the posters here can't possibly know what you're trying to convey. And if you ask 10 Thai people you might get 10 different answers, or more likely, 10 blank looks...

If you already know what you want to convey in English, why not just get it in English?

Or perhaps an ornate image of Indra, or some such thing...

But if you want a genuine Thai tattoo, go to Isan and get your entire back etched - using bamboo spikes and a mallet, the Thai way. You won't know what it says, but then neither will the people you are intent on impressing with feigned knowledge of Thai, so you can just tell them anything you want to. Up to you.

Eternal (Adverb) - นิตย์

Eternal (Adjective) - นิรันดร

Beyond life? You mean after death (as in afterlife)? The issue is, I think, that these terms are emotive terms in English that do not really carry in Thai, so even translations would be unhelpful (as no one would understand why you have Ghost tattooed on your arm).

สัจธรรม is a good term - it means 'the eternal truth' (not word for word literally of course) - Dharmic truth.

Also when you say 'protect' do you mean 'care for', 'look after', 'defend', 'shelter', 'control'...Thai language has a lot of words for our one 'protect' that carries different connotations. Can you explain a little more what you actually mean (I have an idea - but that would be my take, not yours).

Javier - Is that pronounced 'Jay-vee-er' or 'jav-ee-er' or 'jav-ee-ay'?

it's like

ja-beer

or

halloween - to be - emergency

When I say protect I mean "care for" and "look after". What I mean with that words is that I keep my family protected from everything and they keep me protected too because we're that: a family, and we protect ourselves as one.

Thanks for your help. and thanks mangkorn too.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Could someone please translate this word into english ลอตเตอร์

Thank you so much for the help!

Nik

It's "lottery" The correct spelling is ล๊อตเตอรี่ though. In this case, the Thai and English pronunciation are the same

Tywais could be right, but my own first guess is that it could be an attempt to transcribe the Danish/German names "Lotte", "Lotta" or "Lothar" into Thai.   Many Thais will transcribe Western names as if they were all English, because that is the only language using Roman script many Thais are familiar with.   Nordic, Northern European, Slavic, Romance and South American names do not fit this mold, so the spontaneous transcriptions attempts can appear a bit strange, you may see added ร์ or ส, even though there is no such letter in the original word.

Having thought about it I think it is probably the way a Thai person has tried to transcribe your last name, 'Lota', isn't it?

A quick note to the modz known as “Tywais” and “meadish_sweetball” the poster known as “niklota” actually wants his surname spelled out in thai.

Right now he’s got about 5+ posts going in the T/V Language Sub-forum, (having hi-jacked other topics about engrish-thai translations.)

On the surface it would appear like they originally misspelled the engrish word lottery in thai. I think they'd be upset if they got lottery tattooed on their arm versus a thai pronunciation of their real surname which they spelled “Lotter” I gleaned this from reading their posting history. (Either they’re more than a little insecure about it, or they just wanna make sure and are covering their bases with multiple posts in the forum)

FWIW: This poster also asked the same question in the pinned “thai tattoo thread” as well. Peppy gave them a pretty close rendition. Just imagine if they took "Tywais" advice and did get a tattoo which said lottery 555+!

These engrish words in thai tattoo threads always "wobble my mind"! However, being a kinder gentler tod-daniels and reining in my errant posting penchants, I don't usually post on them.

ฉันปกป้องครอบครัว และครอบครัวปกป้องฉัน

เหนือกาลเวลา

เหนือปริภูมิ

เหนือชีวี

Beyond time.

Beyond space.

Beyond life.

ฮาเวียร์

Javier

Comments/suggestions appreciated. smile.gif

Edited by Peppy

Having thought about it I think it is probably the way a Thai person has tried to transcribe your last name, 'Lota', isn't it?

I didn't pay enough attention to the members nick and that makes more sense then the significant misspelling of lottery. The text was so small that I didn't notice it was a garund which is a giveaway that it was probably a name being transliterated. Hurried too much posting as I was rushing to work. ;)

เหนือกาลเวลา

เหนือปริภูมิ

เหนือชีวี

Beyond time.

Beyond space.

Beyond life.

ฮาเวียร์

Javier

I am Thai and all I can say is "perfect". Your translations are excellent. Every word is so nice. This is the first time in my life I see the word "ปริภูมิ"

Two thumbs up Peppy :)

Purely out of curiosity, I would like to ask, why would you want your own name written on your body?

Some of my friends have their childrens names tattooed on them, I can kind of understand that, but why your own last name?

As they say 'up to you' of course, I was just curious :)

Interesting new vocab for me too Peppy, but the OP should be aware that Javier spelled ฮาเวียร์ will not be pronounced in the way that he pronounces it:

ja-beer or halloween - to be - emergency
The 'b' sound will be said like a 'w' Edited by AjarnPasa

Interesting new vocab for me too Peppy, but the OP should be aware that Javier spelled ฮาเวียร์ will not be pronounced in the way that he pronounces it:

ja-beer or halloween - to be - emergency
The 'b' sound will be said like a 'w'

Yes, you're quite correct--but ฮาเวียร์ seems to be the commonly accepted Thai spelling for the name "Javier".

I've just noticed this thread's over two years old and was only just resurrected by our friend Niklota here, so I suppose the OP's no longer with us. sad.gif

Regarding the ongoing debate about the tattooing of names, etc. in Thai script, I say, why the heck not? I don't understand the point of getting anything permanently written on one's body in the first place, so I don't see how getting one's own name done is any better or worse than any of the alternatives. If somebody wants to do it, well, hey, go right ahead!biggrin.gif

เหนือกาลเวลา

เหนือปริภูมิ

เหนือชีวี

Beyond time.

Beyond space.

Beyond life.

ฮาเวียร์

Javier

I am Thai and all I can say is "perfect". Your translations are excellent. Every word is so nice. This is the first time in my life I see the word "ปริภูมิ"

Two thumbs up Peppy :)

Peppy, is that a typo? Surely it should be เหนือชีวิต?

Hi Guys,

Sorry to disturb everyone.

I got this message from a guy named Tgeezer in a similar forum.

"Lotter is the name but how is it said? how do you say it? noone knows. If your name sounds like the English word Lottery without the Y then you don't spell it ลอตเตอรี.

The consonent ต is DT In English we don't say Lodtdtery Thais do.

You need ท T ลอทเทอร์ The ร ์ has that little symbol over the top because it is pronounced N at the end of a syllable and you don't want that. Your name will sound like Lotter without the R ending.

I hope that helps, to confirm quote ลอทเทอร์ in your next post."

My name is said like Lottery WITHOUT the Y.

What do guys think?

I went to Thailand and got my name written in Henna and it looked amazing.

I love Thailand and the people are incredible. Thai writting is beautiful and different from any other!

I am the last male in my generation to carry out my family name so it really means alot to me!!!

Much Appreciated