Wheel Clamped

honeyen

wheel was clamped and a 500-baht ticket was issued.

Since the ticket was all in Thai and I had absolutely no idea which police station to go to to pay for the fine. So happened that there was a motorbike taxi driver there and with my poor thai I asked him what should I do. He mentioned there was a police station nearby (it's in Chatuchak) but still I was unable to figure out where exactly it was. He then said that he could help by going to the police station and asked the officer to come to where my car was parked.

One uniformed officer came by after a while, he showed me his ID(?), which was all in Thai. He first asked for my driving license and passport, I showed, and then said that he could unclamp the wheel and 'settle' the case if I paid 500baht on the spot. I did. I didn't get any receipt from him though.

So, is this case considered close? Would my case be recorded?

wheel was clamped and a 500-baht ticket was issued.

Since the ticket was all in Thai and I had absolutely no idea which police station to go to to pay for the fine. So happened that there was a motorbike taxi driver there and with my poor thai I asked him what should I do. He mentioned there was a police station nearby (it's in Chatuchak) but still I was unable to figure out where exactly it was. He then said that he could help by going to the police station and asked the officer to come to where my car was parked.

One uniformed officer came by after a while, he showed me his ID(?), which was all in Thai. He first asked for my driving license and passport, I showed, and then said that he could unclamp the wheel and 'settle' the case if I paid 500baht on the spot. I did. I didn't get any receipt from him though.

My guess is that the cop and the motorbike taxi guy had a little deal, and the cop waited for the guy to call to get him. That'll be the end of it IMHO

My guess is that it was never recorded in the first place.

In a Western-style country (ie. a place where they are aware of the existence of database software), you might have to worry about an unpaid parking ticket coming back to haunt you.

But here?

I don't think they even have a point system to track serious traffic violations like DUI or vehicular manslaughter. So I don't they'd give a ###### about a parking ticket.

Just guessing though, no idea for sure.

as long as you pay the cop everything should be fine, no record is being taking so no worry, i live in bangkok and got a few of those car lock, i just stand around for 1/2hr or so the cop usually come back to where they lock the car and wait for the owner to pay.

The clamps i've seen here on cars are pretty shit in comparison to the Uk. Carry a hacksaw with you. I reckon you could probably get it off easy. But then again. I might be wrong. And would you want the cop to catch you in the act. Just a thought!

I don't think they even have a point system to track serious traffic violations like DUI or vehicular manslaughter. So I don't they'd give a ###### about a parking ticket.

Unfortunately I believe that a point system has been introduced. Just makes paying the "on the spot fine" all that much more attractive an option.