Atm Done It Gain

srisatch

You can move this to somewhere boring like Banking, if you want, but actually it is a cultural question!

I have lived in Thailand, on and off, for 25 years. I have done it more than once!!

How often have you done this?

In the UK the ATM sequence is PIN number,Transaction, Card, Money. In Thailand it is PIN number, Transaction, Money, Card.

What idiot reprogrammed Thai ATMs to this sequence.? Maybe it is in other countries..but not the EU........I know it is a q? of habit......

I use ATM `s world wide and very often it is different. Some let you have your pass back as soon as you entered the pin number, some at the end of the whole thing, some in the middle, while the machine is counting.

But.. they always produce the money ! :o

And yes, if not used to the sequence where the pass comes out last, a lot of people forget them. :D

good topic to bring up, as when i visit the UK and come back to Thailand, i have actually left my card in the ATM because of this order ( please note this is when i am a little drunk :o )

Edited by Boater

I did it once - got distracted while I was putting the cash in my wallet and forgot about the card. I think the machine's beeper must've been broken (silenced?) too or it would've reminded me to take the card.

Maybe silencing a machine's beeper is a new trick to get people's cards?

Siam Commercial bank now makes you go through 4 or 5 screens just to get everything in English. It used to be an option on the main page.

Many people don't clearly think through whether they are withdrawing from savings or checking. Instant cash takes from checking. If you want a different account then you'll have to select that.

Once the money pops out of the flaps, it is instinct to collect and walk.

In Thailand the card comes back last which means you have to have your wits about you.

I am sure though, that in the UK it was the same about 7-10 years ago, and then they (wisely) changed it.

Always check the flaps carefully for clingfilm or a 'Lebanese Loop' and be wary of box-hole cameras or motorcycle bandits.

I've used ATMs in the States that do it both of these ways, but my favorites are those that do: CARD, PIN, Transaction, money. You only swipe the card through a slot, instead of the machine holding on to it while you do your transaction. With this method, the card never leaves your hand, so you are not likely to forget it. And since you are at the ATM to get cash, you are not likely to forget that either. However, since the receipt is the last thing out of the machine, you might forget that.

The interesting thing that got me in HK recently was that the numbers go the other way, ie here in Thailand the 1-2-3 sequence starts at the top left, but in HK it starts at the bottom left!

Our muscle memory (especially for PIN numbers) is pretty strong.

You can move this to somewhere boring like Banking, if you want, but actually it is a cultural question!

I have lived in Thailand, on and off, for 25 years. I have done it more than once!!

How often have you done this?

In the UK the ATM sequence is PIN number,Transaction, Card, Money. In Thailand it is PIN number, Transaction, Money, Card.

What idiot reprogrammed Thai ATMs to this sequence.? Maybe it is in other countries..but not the EU........I know it is a q? of habit......

ATM's in Burma aahhhhh Myanmar are the best!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

I really don't see what the problem. In Oz we have many varieties of ATM. Some give you your card then the money while others give you the money then card; Others you put you card in and remove it before you enter your PIN and proceed with the transaction. Some of them even eat your cards.

It is tough but sometimes you just have to adapt to these huge challenges that life throws you :o

Indonesian ATMs have eaten my card twice and most of the guys at work have lost cards at the ATM too, after collecting your cash you then need to hit 'no' to signal that your transaction is finished and then your card pops out.

I was using the machine once at 11am reminding myself not to leave the card and still left it. That final 'no' is what gets me.

I understand why they ask if you want another transaction though, if you kept on having to insert your card to withdraw $500 worth of Rupiah (5,000,000) you would be there forever. Thankfully you still need to insert your PIN each time, even though the machine still havs your card.

Some Indonesian ATM's are also printing your account balance on the ATM receipt in Rupiah, even if it's a foreign account. Makes one feel super wealthy with so many digits. :D

You gotta love it don't ya? :o

And yes, if not used to the sequence where the pass comes out last, a lot of people forget them. :o

Been there, done that. What a nightmare. It was an overseas bank ATM card and they wouldn't send the replacement ATM card to Thailand. I had to pull money off my VISA card for 6 weeks with outrageous cash advance fees.

The local Thailand bank staff were no help at all.

Some Indonesian ATM's are also printing your account balance on the ATM receipt in Rupiah, even if it's a foreign account. Makes one feel super wealthy with so many digits. :D

You gotta love it don't ya? :D

I hate it! Some ATMs fill the whole bloomin' screen with your balance in 72 point font so people across the bl00dy road can read it! :D

Why not have an arm come out and paint a bulls-eye on your back at the same time? :o

I hate it! Some ATMs fill the whole bloomin' screen with your balance in 72 point font so people across the bl00dy road can read it! :D

Why not have an arm come out and paint a bulls-eye on your back at the same time? :D

I have never felt threatened by my balance - unfortunately :o