Motorbike With Sidecar Road Accident On The

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya One News: August 14th 2008

Motorbike with sidecar road accident on the Sukumvit Road.

Sidecars attached to Motorbikes are accepted as roadworthy here in Thailand, however they are extremely dangerous and passengers in the sidecars normally do not wear safety helmets and are not belted in to the sidecar.

Accidents involving these sidecars often result in serious injury or even death. In the early hours of Thursday Morning, Police and rescue units were called to an accident on the Sukumvit Road in Central Pattaya involving two motorbikes, one with a sidecar. The motorbike thought to have caused the crash, decided not to remain at the scene, following the crash.

The driver and passenger on the motorbike with sidecar, Khun Wiraiwan aged 26 and Khun Prai aged 49 were both injured after the other bike clipped the sidecar, causing the vehicle to loose control and clip the curb. CCTV images are now being analyzed as Police hunt for the offending vehicle and its driver.

I like the motorbike's and sidecafe's best!

Now there's an idea. Have motorbikes with cafes on the side so the rider can mix up a cup of Joe any time he wants.

But seriously, contrary to PON's opinion, I would've thought that a side car would serve to balance the motorbike much like a four-wheeled, all terrain vehicle, making it safer.

I don't hear about many accidents involving sidecars.

But then again, I don't see them much either.

I drove a sidecar rig for years, a 1952 Zundapp with Steib sidecar. They take a lot of getting used to and are in fact quite dangerous. Probably the most common offense is that motorcycles are not really designed for the added weight. There is a real tendency to overdrive the brakes. Thankfully adding a side cafe to a 110cc rocket limits the top end to about 4KMH as best I can tell. That probably keeps a lot of fried grasshopper vendors alive.

• 2 weeks later...
I ride a sidecar (Ural) and consider it safer than a two-wheeler. However, they do need getting used to as they are larger and heavy.

Hanno, Where is your Ural? I have been trying to figure out how to bring a CJ 750 into Thailand.

Thank you

When I left Thailand a couple of years back I gave one of my motorbikes to my brother-in-law, who put a sidecar on it to transport supplies from the markets to his shop. It was a 100CC Honda Dream. Later when the time came to renew the rego, he had to get a certificate from the guy who welded up the frame - 380b, IIRC.

When I left Thailand a couple of years back I gave one of my motorbikes to my brother-in-law, who put a sidecar on it to transport supplies from the markets to his shop. It was a 100CC Honda Dream. Later when the time came to renew the rego, he had to get a certificate from the guy who welded up the frame - 380b, IIRC.

we had one in Chiang Mai and all we needed was the receipt from the shop that made it and it was registered with no problem.

Back to an earler reply re stability here is a test you can do yourself. Put a bike with side car outside your house and wait until it falls over. Do the same thing with any two wheeled motorcycle and spot the difference in stability. This is called a stability test. What you are talking about or more to the point what you should be talking about is the difference between turning right and left with a side car. Nothing to do with stability but a lot to do with technique and varies with load and direction.

btw I would really like to see the people who claimed that a side car is illegal in Thailand post the relevant piece of legislation from the traffic code because it is apparently not known by the dept. of motor vehicles in the rest of Thailand including Chiang Mai where mine was registered as a three wheeled vehicle.

btw the rules do state that a motorcycle helmet is required for rider but apparently not passenger of the side car. This seems to mean that if my g/f rides pillion she must wear a helmet but in the side car it is not required. And for those wondering she wears a helmet in either case .

CB

I read it in the paper I think, if I visit a bar I don't normally chat about motorcycle sidecars.

When I go out for a drink it intrigues me the range of subjects and how much we know about many of them, that we discuss. Maybe I need to find some friends more focussed :o

I must say I am dubious of a lot of stuff reported in papers, especially the local ones.

CB