O Frabjous Day!

lannarebirth

Now, there have been some recent threads here at Thai Visa asking whether or not Thailand is a Third World country, whether some of us might be too optimistic about Thailands future, and if Thailand "can recover". Well, I've got breaking news folks. Thailand has now joined that elite group of nations that have real shovels for sale. No, not the beige enameled ones that fall apart when you look at them. No, not those gold metallic ones that bend then crack when "steel" meets soil. No, I'm talking about a genuine, hardened steel, curved blade, drop forged shovel folks. Did I mention it's got a full length handle? Well it does!

Apparently. news hasn't got out yet, because when I was at the HomePro Hang Dong, I was the only one in the store with the 50 or so employees. Of course thee mai mee what I went there for, but I've already forgotten what that was, because they've got shovels! I'm calling this "The Great Leap Forward". Can fuel cell automobiles be far behind? I think not!

Now, there have been some recent threads here at Thai Visa asking whether or not Thailand is a Third World country, whether some of us might be too optimistic about Thailands future, and if Thailand "can recover". Well, I've got breaking news folks. Thailand has now joined that elite group of nations that have real shovels for sale. No, not the beige enameled ones that fall apart when you look at them. No, not those gold metallic ones that bend then crack when "steel" meets soil. No, I'm talking about a genuine, hardened steel, curved blade, drop forged shovel folks. Did I mention it's got a full length handle? Well it does!

Apparently. news hasn't got out yet, because when I was at the HomePro Hang Dong, I was the only one in the store with the 50 or so employees. Of course thee mai mee what I went there for, but I've already forgotten what that was, because they've got shovels! I'm calling this "The Great Leap Forward". Can fuel cell automobiles be far behind? I think not!

Are you from Yorkshire perchance?

What does 'o frabjous day' mean, and what the f%$k are you on about? They sell shovels in a home improvement store?

Wow.

Fascinating.

I haven't got time to visit the other posts but....

1. It isn't raining.

2. rice soup with fish and fried fish with vegetables (It's Friday)

By the way - There's a good reason why Homepro Hang Dong isn't busy on a Friday night - good quality spades or not . If you can't figure it out let me know.

Edited by KevinHUNT

Are you from Yorkshire perchance?

What does 'o frabjous day' mean, and what the f%$k are you on about? They sell shovels in a home improvement store?

Wow.

Fascinating.

I haven't got time to visit the other posts but....

1. It isn't raining.

2. rice soup with fish and fried fish with vegetables (It's Friday)

By the way - There's a good reason why Homepro Hang Dong isn't busy on a Friday night - good quality spades or not . If you can't figure it out let me know.

No, I'm not from Yorkshire. Thanks for pointing out my mis spelling. Yes, that "thee" should read "they". I can see how that might be impossible to decipher, especially if shitfaced.

To your points. O frabjous day is an expression of joy. On the shovel front. this is the first REAL shovel I've found in 5.5 years here. I've had many of the worthless variety however. Perhaps that's the kind you like, but as I say, they're worthless.

OK, about the rain. I really don't care. Same goes for your meal.

Thanks for this important bulletin - are we talking shovels or spades here? Moving earth or digging it up?

You should check that garden supply area of Home Pro a bit more often. They have had good quality stuff there for years but not always in stock because it sells fast.

Well, I must admit, I stopped going to HomePro when Global House opened. They never seemed to have anything I really needed, like shovels.

Thanks for this important bulletin - are we talking shovels or spades here? Moving earth or digging it up?

It was similar to this, only better:

post-25601-1218861739_thumb.jpg

An American would call this a "round tip, curved blade shovel". A spade would have a flatter blade and no vertical side to the blade, useless for digging, but good for making a staright edge.

Edited by lannarebirth

You should check that garden supply area of Home Pro a bit more often. They have had good quality stuff there for years but not always in stock because it sells fast.

Well, I must admit, I stopped going to HomePro when Global House opened. They never seemed to have anything I really needed, like shovels.

It can be hit and miss but they do occasionally have some high end stuff of interest. I think my shovel from Home Pro, like the one you found, is about 4 years old now. I like it but Thai workers mostly don't.

lannarebirth, congratulations for shovelling the shit.Hardware was not the subject of my Ph.D. dissertation.I never did a Ph.D.It would never have been about garden tools.I do not come from a gardening heritage.To the manor born, where the gardeners did shovels.

It can be hit and miss but they do occasionally have some high end stuff of interest. I think my shovel from Home Pro, like the one you found, is about 4 years old now. I like it but Thai workers mostly don't.

I'm fascinated. Did you find out why?

I mean, a good spade* is a good spade in any language, surely?

I'd have thought that most people know a good spade when they see one. I know I do.

As do you and Lanna.

I assume you know eachother - fellow spade lovers, and all.

It may sound like a stupid question but is there such a thing as a 'spade/shovel' enthusiaist magazine? If so are they available in chiang Mai or can you order over the internet.

Lanna - nice picture of the shovel, but as you said - yours is better.

Any chance of a photo?

* (or, if you like, 'shovel')

It may sound like a stupid question but is there such a thing as a 'spade/shovel' enthusiaist magazine?

http://wordpress.com/tag/spade-magazine/

Very disappointing - not a spade in sight.

I found a Spade Magazine website

http://www.spademagazine.ca/

but it's all about interior design!!!

Maybe, you didn't see my previous posts but I must tell you I'm married and I'm not that way inclined.

Don't take it personally.

It may sound like a stupid question but is there such a thing as a 'spade/shovel' enthusiaist magazine?

Maybe, you didn't see my previous posts but I must tell you I'm married and I'm not that way inclined.

I'm looking for a new hoe, the one at home is very dirty but old and over used now. Anyone seen any good hoes in town? I'm willing to spend up to 3k but it would need to be a professional one that could potentially stay with me a long time..

Any help appreciated :o

I'm fascinated. Did you find out why?

I mean, a good spade* is a good spade in any language, surely?

I'd have thought that most people know a good spade when they see one. I know I do.

As do you and Lanna.

I assume you know eachother - fellow spade lovers, and all.

It may sound like a stupid question but is there such a thing as a 'spade/shovel' enthusiaist magazine? If so are they available in chiang Mai or can you order over the internet.

Lanna - nice picture of the shovel, but as you said - yours is better.

Any chance of a photo?

* (or, if you like, 'shovel')

Yeh, Lanna and I are great buddies. We always sit together at the Shovel Club monthly meetings at the Four Seasons Hotel. You should join us, the second Tuesday of every month for lunch.

Why Thai workers do not like long handled shovels is under study by the research group of the club in association with the CMU Faculty of Agriculture and a report will be published before year end. Preliminary indications are that the tool is unfamiliar (they are more comfortable with the familiar hoe they have used for decades) and it is heavy(heavy to force into the ground and heavy to lift with a load), heavy being the most common reason given. We too find this fascinating and look forward to seeing you at the next meeting.

Anyhoo, I'm glad I was able to offer you a reason to go on living another day. I've heard more than a few people lament the dearth of a good shovel in these parts and I just thought I'd spread the good news. Little did I know, that they've been available now for some time. Ah, live and learn

Gotta run as the mailman's just brought the most recent issue of Ditchdiggers Quarterly and I want to see if they've included my Letter To The Editor.

Edited by lannarebirth

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe."

The last two stanzas of Lewis Carrol's Jabberwocky poem, as I'm sure Chef would have pointed out if he got here first!

To your points. O frabjous day is an expression of joy.

I believe this definition may be more suited to some of our CM members. :o

-------------------------------------

Frabjous

A posh word which can be used in a bogan sense.

"MATE! How'z da beer?"

"Very unfrabjous mate."