Epiphone Guitars In Bkk ?

Pdaz

Can anyone recommend a decent guitar shop in BKK ? I know there are a couple of places in Siam Paragon but was hoping to find a shop in a more normal shopping mall or center.. I wanted to find an Epiphone (by Gibson) dealer or reseller..

Not interested in Chinese copies or Thai knock offs.. Just genuine Epi or other quality brand.. (Guessing Gibson's are paeng gern bai)

cheers PD..

I've had a look in a guitar shop in Fortune Tower (MRT Rama 9) which had a decent selection, though I can't guarantee they sell Epiphone.

Shop located on the basement floor.

The esplanade has one also, and this shop sold real strats, gibsons, taylor acoustics etc, so may be worth a look. (MRT thailand cultural centre) Ground floor.

:o

Can anyone recommend a decent guitar shop in BKK ? I know there are a couple of places in Siam Paragon but was hoping to find a shop in a more normal shopping mall or center.. I wanted to find an Epiphone (by Gibson) dealer or reseller..

Not interested in Chinese copies or Thai knock offs.. Just genuine Epi or other quality brand.. (Guessing Gibson's are paeng gern bai)

Petchsiam Music...02-622-6099, 02-203-1123. Two locations in Bangkok. I purchased two real Epiphone guitars here and I think they are the exclusive dealers for Gibson and Epiphone in Thailand. Price and service was good.

Good luck

cheers PD..

The best place to look for guitars is Bangkoks own ' Tin Pan Alley ' on Atsadang Road. That is very near Sanam Luang. Get a taxi to the Rattana Kosin hotel on Ratchadamnern. ( Taxi Drivers might know it by its old name...The Royal ) From the hotel head south, over a small bridge, past a 7/11 store and after about 50 metres you come to a row of musical instrument shops, mostly guitars. Probably the best prices and biggest range in town

Petchsiam Music...02-622-6099, 02-203-1123. Two locations in Bangkok. I purchased two real Epiphone guitars here and I think they are the exclusive dealers for Gibson and Epiphone in Thailand. Price and service was good.

Good luck

cheers PD..

Good luck

cheers PD..

I once came across a guitar shop in central world that is a dealer of Fender and Gibson guitars. They had a very wide selection of guitars, most of the current production models with the prices around 20% more than the stateside prices.

I don't remember where it is though. Central World is confusing and big.

cheers PD..

check out the guitar shop located at central world, they have a lot of fenders and stuff, cant remember if they have Gibsons though, also around Ratchatewi they have a good guitar shop, lots of Ibanez, Fenders etc, and also around china town, they have a lot of guitar shops just around the corner of yawalla, a lot of fender, Ibanez, Gibson etc..

Thanks for all the great info guys.. Looks like I have a bit of leg work to do in BKK. Glad to see that there may not be a huge price premium to pay compared to the States.. Only a couple of music shops in Pattaya but they don't carry much stock other than Yamaha and a few cheaper Chinese/Indo guitars.. They say they can order whatever brand I want Epi/Fender etc. But been in Asia long enought to know they will only buy from their BKK contact and pad the price to me for the service.. Don't mind paying for their time so much but not being able to play before I buy means once ordered I'm kinda stuck if I don't like the tone or feel..

Cheers again .. Any more info for other locations still appreciated

Pd

Better than Atsadang Rd, IMHO, is the area in Chinatown known as Woeng Nakhon Kasem. The head distributors for most major brands, eg, Fender, Marshall, Gibson, Laney, Boss, Epi, etc are located there along with plenty of retail. They seem to be a little friendlier and more willing to let you play the instruments awhile than the places on Atsadang, in my opinion. They're fairly close to each other, these two areas, so check 'em both out.

Music Concept in CWP, as mentioned, is also good and if you bargain you can get prices almost as low as at Woeng Nakhon Kasem.

I forgot to mention Lucky Music. It's about three buildings wide on the main road and across from Pantip Plaza and behind in the parking lot there is a shop selling gray market and used guitars.

I myself have never gone into Lucky. I went with my friend to have our guitars' actions reset at ratchathewi late at night and went to see if Lucky was open; it wasn't but the shop behind was (~11:30 PM).

The shop behind lucky is Second Music and I would recommend you check out there gear before you buy a new guitar....I bought a Marshall jcm 2000 half stack, a gibson les paul custom and a fender telecaster american at Second....all new at cheaper prices then other places.....another shop with good second hand gear is on cocowalk area...down on payatai/new pet'buri intersection take a left going towards MBK...great shop and rehearsal studios. The guys at Music Concept are cool too and you can knock off a good 10-20% on some items....Kasem area is great but a pain to get into and out of....Petchsiam is no longer wholesaler for Gibson...Music concept is...they have a special room in the back with gibbos and epis....check it out!

Better than Atsadang Rd, IMHO, is the area in Chinatown known as Woeng Nakhon Kasem. The head distributors for most major brands, eg, Fender, Marshall, Gibson, Laney, Boss, Epi, etc are located there along with plenty of retail. They seem to be a little friendlier and more willing to let you play the instruments awhile than the places on Atsadang, in my opinion. They're fairly close to each other, these two areas, so check 'em both out.

Music Concept in CWP, as mentioned, is also good and if you bargain you can get prices almost as low as at Woeng Nakhon Kasem.

Thanks...will check it out.

Forget about all the Central World malls....the importers are all in China Town (the Tin pan alley referred to by someone earlier) and they sell in there in their own shops.

For used equipment Panthip Plaza for convenience and Kasem for good deals.

Just an update and a thanks to you guys for all your input on BKK Guitar shops.. I did alot of trudging around over the weekend.. A lot more available than I expected and good prices compared to the UK online stores.. Lots of Gibson and Fender lookalikes plus some good deals on Washburn.. But I ended up back at Music Concept in Central World.. Got a great deal on a Epi Les Paul with EMG pickups.. Sounds great .. Worked out around 15k baht cheaper than UK and about the same as discounted US price.. Guys in the store were cool and more than happy to let me pick away and check out their stock.

Now I just need to get playing again..

Anyhow.. Can recomend Music Concept and the Thai ''tin pan alley'' was well worth a look too.. Especially if looking for a good second hand deal or if you really know you guitars you could find some great buys down there..

I'm no expert so felt happier buying from authorised dealer.. At least I'm certain I got a genuine Epi..

cheers again :o

Just an update and a thanks to you guys for all your input on BKK Guitar shops.. I did alot of trudging around over the weekend.. A lot more available than I expected and good prices compared to the UK online stores.. Lots of Gibson and Fender lookalikes plus some good deals on Washburn.. But I ended up back at Music Concept in Central World.. Got a great deal on a Epi Les Paul with EMG pickups.. Sounds great .. Worked out around 15k baht cheaper than UK and about the same as discounted US price.. Guys in the store were cool and more than happy to let me pick away and check out their stock.

Now I just need to get playing again..

Anyhow.. Can recomend Music Concept and the Thai ''tin pan alley'' was well worth a look too.. Especially if looking for a good second hand deal or if you really know you guitars you could find some great buys down there..

I'm no expert so felt happier buying from authorised dealer.. At least I'm certain I got a genuine Epi..

cheers again :o

Hey man, congrats on the purchase. Did you run across any Gibson Les Paul Customs or mostly studios. What were the price ranges for the customs and studios? Did you see any prices on small Marshall solid state amps around 50 watts or so. I am debating whether to bring a guitar or just pick one up while I am over there. Thank you.

Hey man, congrats on the purchase. Did you run across any Gibson Les Paul Customs or mostly studios. What were the price ranges for the customs and studios? Did you see any prices on small Marshall solid state amps around 50 watts or so. I am debating whether to bring a guitar or just pick one up while I am over there. Thank you.

Yes Music concept had a range of Gibson Les Pauls and their Epi relatives too.. To be honest I was suprised at the prices.. Much better value than the UK but as usual not as cheap as the States.. I didn't look too hard at the Gibbo's prices but the seemed to start (believe it was a standard) around 26K ... My girlfriend was kinda shocked to see one with a 90K baht price tag :o .. Guess if you have a fav guitar that you don't mind bringing that would be the way to go.. But if the price of a new guitar doesn't bother you too much it may be easier to buy a new one.. Not sure where you are from but although there are quite a few shops they are all comparatively small and for Gibson/Epi they don't have the huge selection you'd expect in a USA style 'guitar warehouse' but there are heaps of other brands and plenty of good priced fender/Gibbo reps.. I was hoping to find one of the Les Paul Prophecy range or the Zakk Wylde 'Buzzsaw' editions but there were none in stock.. However I'm real happy with the tone of the axe I bought .

Yes Music concept had a range of Gibson Les Pauls and their Epi relatives too.. To be honest I was suprised at the prices.. Much better value than the UK but as usual not as cheap as the States.. I didn't look too hard at the Gibbo's prices but the seemed to start (believe it was a standard) around 26K ... My girlfriend was kinda shocked to see one with a 90K baht price tag :o .. Guess if you have a fav guitar that you don't mind bringing that would be the way to go.. But if the price of a new guitar doesn't bother you too much it may be easier to buy a new one.. Not sure where you are from but although there are quite a few shops they are all comparatively small and for Gibson/Epi they don't have the huge selection you'd expect in a USA style 'guitar warehouse' but there are heaps of other brands and plenty of good priced fender/Gibbo reps.. I was hoping to find one of the Les Paul Prophecy range or the Zakk Wylde 'Buzzsaw' editions but there were none in stock.. However I'm real happy with the tone of the axe I bought .

Was the 90K a sunburst, new or used? Did you happen to see prices on a small 50 Marshall solid state with a 10 or 12 inch driver. Thank you.

I didn't pay a great deal of attention to the Gibson's they seemed to have about 20+ guitars.. In a variety of finishes.. As for amps.. huge selection in the shops I looked at but as I already have a 20W Laney I didn't check them out.. Seemed to be Marshalls and VOX as well as other brands.. Sorry can't be more help :o

• 10 months later...

cheers PD..

I once came across a guitar shop in central world that is a dealer of Fender and Gibson guitars. They had a very wide selection of guitars, most of the current production models with the prices around 20% more than the stateside prices.

I don't remember where it is though. Central World is confusing and big.

I bought my fender can amp from their predecessor who had the franchise - still the same manageress. However, the current ship 'Music Concept' really let me down here. I took the amp back to fix some disconectted wiring that course some strong static when plugged in. Of course, after ten years of onwership, I was happy to pay a reasonable price. On return, we tested the amp and found that their outsourcing amp tech hadn't done the job properly so they sent it back. When I picked it up again it appeared alright but (I just can't believe fender would stand for this) they would only give a week's guarrantee. I pushed and pushed but they would only increase the period to a month! Finally, the manager (who was in London at the time) agreed to extend it to 6 months but explained that this would be a special one off for me!

I caution anyone purchasing from Music Concept - given the prices. They obviously have no faith in their workmanship. Oh, and my amp? It's started playing up with the same old problem again - 3 months into the guarrantee! :)

woeng is the best place for branded music instruments. a lot of these guys have been in the business for decades, and you'll see their shops have been frequented by legends in music and they have photographs taken with them. i bought my bass a few years back from this place, it is the best place for instruments. places like music concept are ripoffs.