U.s.embassy Requirement

Anyone have experience with the US embassy proof of income affidavit needed for qualifying for a retirement visa.What they DEMAND to see as proof that you have an income ofd 65,000 Baht or more per month.

I ask because I have had several people ,over the last couple of years,tell me that they were not asked for any proof of their income.They all said that they ONLY stated their income on the form submitted and received the affidavit after paying the $50 fee.

I have always kept over 800,000 Baht in TFB that was transferred from the USA because although I have the necessary income(65,000B monthly) from 2 pensions(SSA &CA.PERS),I don't want to get a show of proof from PERS because I believe they made a mistake 5 years ago and are paying me to much.Without the extra they are paying ,I would not qualify plus I would lose money if they find the mistake.Dishonest,yes,but I can live with it.Hope that doesn't deter anyone from sharing their knowledge,hopefully without judgements.Unless you have to judge,then by all means ,go head on.Thanks. :o

I believe it is just the paper that you state that your income is such and such that is required.  No backup paperwork that I have heard of.  But I do not go this route myself.  Also believe notary price is now less, maybe $35?

U.S. Embassy requires you to Swear to the truth, in front of a notary, of the form. Plus pay the fee.

I have always kept over 800,000 Baht in TFB that was transferred from the USA

Then, I'm not sure why you want a notarized proof of income? It's my understanding it's 'either/or' with extensions based on retirement. However, for extensions based on support (marriage), some, I believe, have been asked for proof of income even tho' they met the deposit requirement.

Having to trek to the Embassy every year to pay to have statements verified doesn't seem too productive -- if not needed.

Have you heard something to the contrary?

Here is a direct quote from another poster on a different board:

"OK, I has to go to the embassy in Bangkok. Went there, did that. This was my first time at the embassy so did not know my way around. Had to check my cellphone and digital camera at the guard gate, was given a plastic number to get them back"

"Inside the embassy grounds were two long lines of mostly Thai people presumably waiting to apply or pick up US visas or take care of other matters. To the right I found a pathway leading to another small building and a sign directing one to US Citizens Services. Stepping inside the door I initially saw about a half dozen people sitting in chairs before three service windows. Inside that, were a much larger number of people in chairs in a larger room with 13 service windows. The embassy performs a lot of other services besides guaranteeing income statements. I saw no information desk so did not know which place to go first. Stepping back toward the entrance I went right up to one of the first three windows and was greeted cherrily. The lady handed me a form to fill in and sign, that simply stated the amount in dollars that I recieved in retirement income,

(and other sources) per month. Filling in this information took only a couple minutes. I included my social security pension plus the amount of employers pension I will recieve.I then proceeded to to the payment window to pay the $30 fee for the service. Returning to the initial window, a clerk took the form and asked me to wait. Five minutes later I was asked, 'can you verify the information you entered ?'. I said 'yes'...Without asking to see the documentation (which I had with me), the form was duly stamped, and I was out the door. 45 minutes in the embassy. 2 1/2 hour bus ride each way, Pattaya/Bkk/Ptya..."

"Returning to Pattaya, I put off the task of assembling all the visa extension documentation and making two copies until the next morning."

"The next day, Friday, I took all the documentation to the Pattaya Immigration office. The same guy who had given me the application forms and previous information recieved my documents with little fanfare. Going through each package he removed all documents concerning my USA bank account and anything else he felt was extraneous, aked me to sign each page in each set, took my 1900 baht, handed it over to a Thai lady in uniform and asked me to wait. No more than five minutes later the uniformed lady called me over and handed me a tag and said to come back 3 pm ti pick up you passport with new NI-O-A one year extension. Total time in immigration office - 15 minutes.....WOW...!"

I hope this helps someone.....it's sure gonna help me. Chok Dee...ErnieK

I have always kept over 800,000 Baht in TFB that was transferred from the USA

Then, I'm not sure why you want a notarized proof of income? It's my understanding it's 'either/or' with extensions based on retirement. However, for extensions based on support (marriage), some, I believe, have been asked for proof of income even tho' they met the deposit requirement.

Having to trek to the Embassy every year to pay to have statements verified doesn't seem too productive -- if not needed.

Have you heard something to the contrary?

Believe that it is always required on first application as the whole purpose is to prove you have funds to support yourself - not a one time 800k bank deposit. This may not be required later but have no experience.

I can tell you from my experience at Thai Immigration in Chiang Mai that they prefer seeing money in the bank over 65K coming in every month. I'm sure this is another example of the gray area that exists in every form here in Thailand. I had less than 800K in the bank this time and had to bring the form from my Consulate verifying my monthly pension income. Previously I showed the quarterly wire transfer reciepts and bankbook but no verification from the Consulate and never experienced a problem. Then again I always had more than 800K in the bank. I think you simply have to be prepared for anything and then roll with the punches.

Here is a direct quote from another poster on a different board:

"OK, I has to go to the embassy in Bangkok. Went there, did that. This was my first time at the embassy so did not know my way around. Had to check my cellphone and digital camera at the guard gate, was given a plastic number to get them back"

"Inside the embassy grounds were two long lines of mostly Thai people presumably waiting to apply or pick up US visas or take care of other matters. To the right I found a pathway leading to another small building and a sign directing one to US Citizens Services. Stepping inside the door I initially saw about a half dozen people sitting in chairs before three service windows. Inside that, were a much larger number of people in chairs in a larger room with 13 service windows. The embassy performs a lot of other services besides guaranteeing income statements. I saw no information desk so did not know which place to go first. Stepping back toward the entrance I went right up to one of the first three windows and was greeted cherrily. The lady handed me a form to fill in and sign, that simply stated the amount in dollars that I recieved in retirement income,

(and other sources) per month. Filling in this information took only a couple minutes. I included my social security pension plus the amount of employers pension I will recieve.I then proceeded to to the payment window to pay the $30 fee for the service. Returning to the initial window, a clerk took the form and asked me to wait. Five minutes later I was asked, 'can you verify the information you entered ?'. I said 'yes'...Without asking to see the documentation (which I had with me), the form was duly stamped, and I was out the door. 45 minutes in the embassy. 2 1/2 hour bus ride each way, Pattaya/Bkk/Ptya..."

"Returning to Pattaya, I put off the task of assembling all the visa extension documentation and making two copies until the next morning."

"The next day, Friday, I took all the documentation to the Pattaya Immigration office. The same guy who had given me the application forms and previous information recieved my documents with little fanfare. Going through each package he removed all documents concerning my USA bank account and anything else he felt was extraneous, aked me to sign each page in each set, took my 1900 baht, handed it over to a Thai lady in uniform and asked me to wait. No more than five minutes later the uniformed lady called me over and handed me a tag and said to come back 3 pm ti pick up you passport with new NI-O-A one year extension. Total time in immigration office - 15 minutes.....WOW...!"

I hope this helps someone.....it's sure gonna help me. Chok Dee...ErnieK

Thankyou, great report.

Now would some of the aussies out there please advise of their experience regarding obtaining proof of income from the australian embassy ???? Sure would appreciate any help. The "letter of certification" of income, is required for extending a support (marriage) visa if you are 50 yo or older & not working ie on top of 400kb. Anyone had the experience of obtaining that letter at oz embassy????

Previously I showed the quarterly wire transfer reciepts and bankbook but no verification from the Consulate and never experienced a problem.
Sojourner,

Was this true with your initial application -- i.e.,have you never had to show proof of iincome whenever you had 800k in the bank?

Believe that it is always required on first application as the whole purpose is to prove you have funds to support yourself - not a one time 800k bank deposit.

Lop,

I wonder if I could get by just showing my US Govt pension printout, without having it notarized, if this is in conjunction with 800k in bank? Seem to recall that you go the marriage extension route, with applicable funds in bank, but do show a non notarized statement of income as back-up?

I'll be doing the retirement drill in Chiang Mai soon, with 800k in the bank (maybe a lot more if the dollar contiinues south :o ). Can others share their recent (and initial) experiences on this subject with Chiang Mai Immigration?

Thanx.

Lop,

I wonder if I could get by just showing my US Govt  pension printout, without having it notarized, if this is in conjunction with 800k in bank? Seem to recall that you go the marriage extension route, with applicable funds in bank, but do show a non notarized statement of income as back-up?

I'll be doing the retirement drill in Chiang Mai soon, with 800k in the bank (maybe a lot more if the dollar contiinues south :o ). Can others share their recent (and initial) experiences on this subject with Chiang Mai Immigration?

Thanx.

That is what I do and have never had to obtain anything from Consulate on the support visa but believe the long stay may require the letter. But no experience with Chiang Mai.

Jimgant,

Yes, this is the first time since 1999 that I had to provide the doc from the Consulate. I was told by the Pol. Lt. Colonel, while visiting her office, that the document from the Consulate was required this time because my funds were below 800K. There's only one person there higher than her, so I have to take it as gospel.

The trip to the Consulate was painless. Within an hour and 1200 baht lighter, I had the document. Didn't have to show any supporting docs to the govt. official, just swear that the amount I declared was the truth. I was told by Thai Immigration that I can re-use the same doc every year. That remains to be seen :o .

By the way, the only times you can get this document or do any other personal (non-USA visa) business is Tuesdays and Thursdays.

It should be 800K in the bank OR 65K a month income, OR a combination of the two giving a total of 800K a year.

Those of you who already have the 800K may be wasting money with the embassies un-necessarily.

Does anyone have experience of the income letter from the British

Embassy? I would like to change from the lump sum to the income approach.

I went to the US Embassy, Bangkok, in May of this year and did the sworn statement. Though I presented a copy of my pension statement and my bank account statement, the consular officer paid no attention to them and asked no questions of me .... very easy. They are only taking a sworn statement from you and notarizing it and they are not doing any verification of your paperwork at all. The same applies for the marriage affidavit which is used to state that you are free to marry. There is no verification of your actual marriage status whatsoever. Kinda wonder now if I should have stated a higher monthly income instead! I believe the fee was $32 first sworn statement, $20 for each additional statement.

I went to the US Embassy, Bangkok, in May of this year and did the sworn statement. Though I presented a copy of my pension statement and my bank account statement, the consular officer paid no attention to them and asked no questions of me .... very easy. They are only taking a sworn statement from you and notarizing it and they are not doing any verification of your paperwork at all.  The same applies for the marriage affidavit which is used to state that you are free to marry. There is no verification of your actual marriage status whatsoever. Kinda wonder now if I should have stated a higher monthly income instead! I believe the fee was $32 first sworn statement, $20 for each additional statement.

When presenting the letter in your visa application process,did you have to show proof that the funds were deposited into a Thai bank?Or does the affidavit from the Embassy satify Immigration's requirements?

It should be 800K in the bank OR 65K a month income, OR a combination of the two giving a total of 800K a year.

Those of you who already have the 800K may be wasting money with the embassies un-necessarily.

Does anyone have experience of the income letter from the British

Embassy? I would like to change from the lump sum to the income approach.

I went to the UK embassey 2 weeks ago for the income letter. I took with me the letter I received from my company who pay me my pension, some statements of income ( I don't always get one each month, but only when my pension varies by more than 1 pound, so I had just a few of these ) and also the P60 I received in April to show my previous years income. Beware of one thing, they average out your payments over the previous year and this may not be as much as 12x your present pension. I presented these papers at the desk along with my passport, the girl asked me some questions and told me to come back next day after 9.00am. The cost is 1600 baht. The letter is in English with the amount of pension in GBP, but this was acceptable at Immigration ( they did a quick conversion of currency on a calculator to make sure it was 40,000 baht ) Hope this helps.

Lop,

I wonder if I could get by just showing my US Govt  pension printout, without having it notarized, if this is in conjunction with 800k in bank? Seem to recall that you go the marriage extension route, with applicable funds in bank, but do show a non notarized statement of income as back-up?

Thanx.

That is what I do and have never had to obtain anything from Consulate on the support visa but believe the long stay may require the letter. But no experience with Chiang Mai.

On Nov 2, I applied for my first extension of my one year O-A at Soi 8. I tried to test them and slip by with only 680K in my Bangkok Bank account since my account showed I had already brought in several million baht so far this year. Nothing doing. Deposit another 120K and come back tomorrow, which I did. This might have had something to do with the fact that Pattaya Soi 8 immigration office had just recently had a new head guy come in, and they wanted to do everything by the book for a while, no exceptions.

I was polite, well dressed, had all documents in order, and spoke fluent Thai, but the first two guys had real attitude. The third guy, the big Captain, was quite friendly, but took my Thai speaking right in stride without even mentioning it, as if every farang applicant he saw could speak Thai fluently.

No evidence of income was asked for, or any declaration from the US embassy, and no evidence of foreign transfer of funds to my account was asked for, but all of the deposits except the first one were clearly coded as incoming foreign transfers in the bank book.