Avg Problem

Bangyai

When I turned on the computer this morning there was a red exclamation mark over the AVG icon. Investigation informed me that a ' .bin ' file is missing. So now I can't update my AVG 8 with the latest anti virus and anti spyware. Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

The missing .bin file is a part of the set of update files sent everyday...it's just that the .AVG update servers didn't distribute the .bin file along with the other files that make up the virus database update, so the AVG program rejected todays update and is still using yesterday's virus database. That means that you're still protected and the program is working. AVG updates the program everyday, so at the very least the missing .bin file problem will be corrected within 24 hours.

DO NOT REINSTALL the program. When you do that you actually put your PC at greater risk because the AVG install file on the website will not include the most recent virus database - you will end up using a database that may be as much as a week old, maybe more. Just leave the program as is and the .bin problem will go away within the next 24 hours.

The missing .bin file is a part of the set of update files sent everyday...it's just that the .AVG update servers didn't distribute the .bin file along with the other files that make up the virus database update, so the AVG program rejected todays update and is still using yesterday's virus database. That means that you're still protected and the program is working. AVG updates the program everyday, so at the very least the missing .bin file problem will be corrected within 24 hours.

DO NOT REINSTALL the program. When you do that you actually put your PC at greater risk because the AVG install file on the website will not include the most recent virus database - you will end up using a database that may be as much as a week old, maybe more. Just leave the program as is and the .bin problem will go away within the next 24 hours.

Thanks for that westerner. A friend in the U.K. confirms what you've said. Unfortunatley , I already tried the reinstall as grantbkk suggested , actually, it was the first thing I tried this morning before posting the topic. Never mind, I'll surf on tip toe for a couple of days until I get all the updates. Thanks anyway both of you.

Thanks for that westerner. A friend in the U.K. confirms what you've said. Unfortunatley , I already tried the reinstall as grantbkk suggested , actually, it was the first thing I tried this morning before posting the topic. Never mind, I'll surf on tip toe for a couple of days until I get all the updates. Thanks anyway both of you.

I had the same problem and AVG told me do nothing it is an error on there site and it is fixed now