Crime/violence Question

Enjibenji

Hi,

What is the crime/violence like in Bangkok? I've never been there before, and i'm coming very soon, so I would like to know.

I read a bit on here about some problems such muggings and people having their wallets stolen, etc. It got me thinking that if something happened to me, would I be able to do anything without getting in trouble?

e.g. If it did happen to you, and you didn't quite like it and 'sorted' out the person that was trying to take your wallet, what would happen? (serious question). Would you be facing any charges from the police if they got involved? Or would the police 'understand' you, and no trouble after that? I know that in some places of the world, the police wouldn't take lightly to some foreigner doing something like that to someone of their country.

Also, what's it like with guns and knives?

Just some questions that I would like to know, not looking to come to cause trouble, but just want to be prepared if anything does happen (I for one wouldn't like anybody to take my wallet, or anything i own :o ). Just read some bad(ish) stuff on this forum and want to make sure.

thanks for any answers

(i've never had any problems like this happen to me before).

Edited by Enjibenji

Hi,

What is the crime/violence like in Bangkok? I've never been there before, and i'm coming very soon, so I would like to know.

I read a bit on here about some problems such muggings and people having their wallets stolen, etc. It got me thinking that if something happened to me, would I be able to do anything without getting in trouble?

e.g. If it did happen to you, and you didn't quite like it and 'sorted' out the person that was trying to take your wallet, what would happen? (serious question). Would you be facing any charges from the police if they got involved? Or would the police 'understand' you, and no trouble after that? I know that in some places of the world, the police wouldn't take lightly to some foreigner doing something like that to someone of their country.

Also, what's it like with guns and knives?

Just some questions that I would like to know, not looking to come to cause trouble, but just want to be prepared if anything does happen (I for one wouldn't like anybody to take my wallet, or anything i own :o ). Just read some bad(ish) stuff on this forum and want to make sure.

thanks for any answers

(i've never had any problems like this happen to me before).

There is crime in Thailand like there is in any other country in the world, so its no different. Treat the local people with respect and try to learn a few Thai words while your here, enjoy your holiday and you will be fine.

Cheers, Rick

I would tend to agree with the previous posts, anywhere in Thailand is alot safer than anywhere in the UK/ US/ Europe IMHO, but the petty crimes are reported alot more here as they don't have any news.

As to the question of defending yourself, I would do the same BUT you need to understand some Thai logic. You are very unlikely to be attacked, but if you are it will not be one on one, and they will generally be armed with anything from rocks to guns.

If you do manage to fight your way out of it, you will probably have the rest of the neighbourhood descend on you, or if you seriously hurt one of them you will have a world of sh1t descend on you.

Statistically you are more likely to get run over by a bus. Be polite and courteous and you will be very unlikely to have a problem. Be a drunken western arse and you will have problems in spades.

Don't worry, and don't believe the media hype you might have read. Thai's are generally cowards, and would rather rob one of their own as they are smaller and easier to intimidate. I've been here 3 years and never had a problem, I feel alot safer here than I ever did in the UK. Just relax, don't draw attention to yourself and you will have a great time.

I would tend to agree with the previous posts, anywhere in Thailand is alot safer than anywhere in the UK/ US/ Europe IMHO, but the petty crimes are reported alot more here as they don't have any news.

As to the question of defending yourself, I would do the same BUT you need to understand some Thai logic. You are very unlikely to be attacked, but if you are it will not be one on one, and they will generally be armed with anything from rocks to guns.

If you do manage to fight your way out of it, you will probably have the rest of the neighbourhood descend on you, or if you seriously hurt one of them you will have a world of sh1t descend on you.

Statistically you are more likely to get run over by a bus. Be polite and courteous and you will be very unlikely to have a problem. Be a drunken western arse and you will have problems in spades.

Don't worry, and don't believe the media hype you might have read. Thai's are generally cowards, and would rather rob one of their own as they are smaller and easier to intimidate. I've been here 3 years and never had a problem, I feel alot safer here than I ever did in the UK. Just relax, don't draw attention to yourself and you will have a great time.

thanks very much for this answer :o

just about a point you made:

"If you do manage to fight your way out of it, you will probably have the rest of the neighbourhood descend on you, or if you seriously hurt one of them you will have a world of sh1t descend on you."

So, even if they try to take your wallet or something, and you defend yourself, it's not looking good? Even if it's some scummy thief, Thai people will help that person should you try defend yourself? (help, such as a few punches to your face).

Also, what would the average police take be on this situation?

Thanks again :D

edit: Just another question. Been hearing a lot about the ladyboys. If one of them tried to take your wallet/took your wallet and you knew, what would you do? I know my boundaries here in Scotland, but Thailand is another matter

edit2: sorry - in fact, if a 'normal' Thai person/Thai group of people took your wallet, what would you do?

Sorry if it sounds obvious (if it is), but I really have no idea about how this kind of thing works in foreign places like Thailand. I've heard a lot so I'm just curious.

Edited by Enjibenji

If you pay your lady boy what you owed her then she wouldn't chase you down the street grabbing your wallet :o There are enough weapons on sale on the streets to start a war and could you imagine having these available street side in the states? Just come over and spend a few nights in BKK after midnight it really is an eye opener

If you pay your lady boy what you owed her then she wouldn't chase you down the street grabbing your wallet :o There are enough weapons on sale on the streets to start a war and could you imagine having these available street side in the states? Just come over and spend a few nights in BKK after midnight it really is an eye opener

i've read a few posts on here about ladyboys groping some guys crotches and stuff - first of all, why? second of all, i wouldn't be too happy about someone doing that to me. :D

thanks very much for this answer :o

"If you do manage to fight your way out of it, you will probably have the rest of the neighbourhood descend on you, or if you seriously hurt one of them you will have a world of sh1t descend on you."

So, even if they try to take your wallet or something, and you defend yourself, it's not looking good? Even if it's some scummy thief, Thai people will help that person should you try defend yourself? (help, such as a few punches to your face).

edit: Just another question. Been hearing a lot about the ladyboys. If one of them tried to take your wallet/took your wallet and you knew, what would you do? I know my boundaries here in Scotland, but Thailand is another matter

edit2: sorry - in fact, if a 'normal' Thai person/Thai group of people took your wallet, what would you do?

Sorry if it sounds obvious (if it is), but I really have no idea about how this kind of thing works in foreign places like Thailand. I've heard a lot so I'm just curious.

If some Thais saw you fighting with a Thai they would pile in with sticks and rocks, regardless of the reasons. Their logic is slightly distorted from ours, and they see 10 on 1 as wholly acceptable, especially if the 1 is a farang.

If you did manage to get in a 1 on 1 situation, which is unlikely, and the Thai for example fell and hurt his head, then the police would take you for everything they could. It's a bit like having a car/ motorbike accident over here, even if a Thai rams you up the arse you will still be liable as you are a foreigner.

A ladyboy will never try to take your wallet unless you try and shag them. All the 'innocent' victims on beach road were never quite as innocent as they like to make out. If one did try to take my wallet i would probably just hold them in a headlock until help arrived - these 'ladies of the 2nd class' are not too popular amongst the Thais in Pattaya as they know they are all druggies and thieves.

If a 'normal' Thai took my wallet, then he would probably have a gun pointed at me, or 10 mates stood with him. This just doesn't happen in the real world - the 'victims' have normally put thereselves in jeopardy either through their behaviour or actions.

My advice is firstly to stop worrying about it, don't get uncontrollably p1ssed, don't ever be offensive to any Thai however much they might have wound you up, don't put yourself in potentially dangerous situations (dark deserted alleys, motorbike taxis to Nakon Nowhere), and just be polite.

Hope this helps.

thanks very much for this answer :D

If some Thais saw you fighting with a Thai they would pile in with sticks and rocks, regardless of the reasons. Their logic is slightly distorted from ours, and they see 10 on 1 as wholly acceptable, especially if the 1 is a farang.

If you did manage to get in a 1 on 1 situation, which is unlikely, and the Thai for example fell and hurt his head, then the police would take you for everything they could. It's a bit like having a car/ motorbike accident over here, even if a Thai rams you up the arse you will still be liable as you are a foreigner.

A ladyboy will never try to take your wallet unless you try and shag them. All the 'innocent' victims on beach road were never quite as innocent as they like to make out. If one did try to take my wallet i would probably just hold them in a headlock until help arrived - these 'ladies of the 2nd class' are not too popular amongst the Thais in Pattaya as they know they are all druggies and thieves.

If a 'normal' Thai took my wallet, then he would probably have a gun pointed at me, or 10 mates stood with him. This just doesn't happen in the real world - the 'victims' have normally put thereselves in jeopardy either through their behaviour or actions.

My advice is firstly to stop worrying about it, don't get uncontrollably p1ssed, don't ever be offensive to any Thai however much they might have wound you up, don't put yourself in potentially dangerous situations (dark deserted alleys, motorbike taxis to Nakon Nowhere), and just be polite.

Hope this helps.

thanks very much again, all questions in my head explained :o

wasn't really worried at all, just something i thought about. I'm coming to Thailand, i'm 18 years old, I do know someone there so I will be with her pretty much all the time, but just incase this one situation did pop up when i'm on my own.. i'm sure a young looking foreigner who looks like he isn't the poorest of people would have some people think that he is an easy target. I do know how to take care of myself, and if something like that happened, I know I would flip out and take a rage fit

anyway, thanks again :D

wasn't really worried at all, just something i thought about. I'm coming to Thailand, i'm 18 years old, I do know someone there so I will be with her pretty much all the time, but just incase this one situation did pop up when i'm on my own.. i'm sure a young looking foreigner who looks like he isn't the poorest of people would have some people think that he is an easy target. I do know how to take care of myself, and if something like that happened, I know I would flip out and take a rage fit

You haven't been listening have you. Last resort mate, seriously.

nono, i have been listening. I meant to say that if something like that happened to me here, I'd take a rage fit. Didn't know what would happen if I done that in Thailand though. Now you answered some of my questions, so I won't do that :D

I'll definately be a good boy. Anyway, nothing like that has ever happened to me, lets hope it never will :D

thanks again

nono, i have been listening. I meant to say that if something like that happened to me here, I'd take a rage fit. Didn't know what would happen if I done that in Thailand though. Now you answered some of my questions, so I won't do that :D

I'll definately be a good boy. Anyway, nothing like that has ever happened to me, lets hope it never will :D

thanks again

Glad to hear it mate, it's usually people of your age or a little older who get into problems here, as they are so used to the confrontational bar scene in the west (I'm guessing you are English?).

Take a chill pill, and don't even put the place in the same mental box as England (or your home country). 99% of the problems here are self generated by guys who still have their home country heads on.

Have a good one, I fear that coming to Thailand at such a young age may taint you for life, but in a good way :D

thanks very much again, all questions in my head explained :D

Let's put it this way. I would sooner be walking down a street in Bangkok late at night than one in London or Edinburgh/Glasgee

I suggest that rather than coming to Bangkok, you check yourself into some therapy with a special leaning towards anger management. You're way too much of a hot head to come here and spoil the peace and quiet.

:o

Yeah, from Edinburgh.

haha, but I definately don't have any anger problems - just if someone tried to mess about with me here, i would take it seriously.

jeez, I don't even drink :o (or if i do, very little - my skin doesn't take kindly to alcohol, have rosacea).

A ladyboy will never try to take your wallet unless you try and shag them. All the 'innocent' victims on beach road were never quite as innocent as they like to make out.

Well, i have never ever had the urge to "shag" a ladyboy, but still they robbed me near the Asok station, i was though, very drunk, i was fortunate enough to not have too much money on me, just a few 100 bills.

But still i get a little pissed when i am thinking about it.

Hope this helps.

It would be even simpler to say, act politely.

Dont start a fist fight, don´t use a gun, just like any place else in the world its usually a bad idea.

Almost zero chance of any violence happening to you unless you initiate it. Thais generally get money from tourists through scams or by overcharging them, they get them to hand over the money voluntarily, not by bashing them over the head and taking their wallet. If any 'friendly' strangers approach you on the street and start talking to you, you can be pretty sure they're trying to con you. I personally feel much safer in Bangkok than in any large American city.

Let's put it this way...I'll be applying for a retirement visa within the next 6 months. I have no apprehension about moving to Thailand because of crime, although, I realize that like any place, crime does happen. I've traveled to Thailand for up to 2 months at a time almost every year since the mid-80's. I've never hesitated to go anywhere I wanted to go...often alone...walking and sometimes even driving out "in the sticks". The biggest problem is probably the scammers in particularly touristy places, although I don't find that to be dangerous, just annoying. But, just because scammers usually start off with a friendly conversation, I don't hesitate to have friendly conversations with strangers...most are just friendly people who like chatting with westerners. I ride the public buses and have never had a problem even with pickpocketing. I often carry a very expensive 35mm camera...and never worry. Yes, something could happen...but it sure hasn't in a very long time.

Friends here in the Washington, D.C. area often express their worry about my safety when I am in Thailand. As I tell them, "I'll make a deal with you. I will walk any place you choose in Bangkok at 3 in the morning, if you will walk any place I choose in Washington, D.C. at 3 in the afternoon." So far, I've had no takers. I've walked in slums in Bangkok and felt "okay"...along the railraod tracks north of Hualamphong and felt "okay". Somehow I have never gotten to Klong Toey yet.

I guess the closest call was in a bar in Patpong years ago. I hated the sleeze and told my two Thai friends I wanted to leave. They tried to bargain down an outrageous bill for 3 drinks. It was clear that the bouncers were not going to allow any bargaining even by Thais. I paid, we left, end of story. Had we not paid...well, there would have been trouble.

And, I have met a couple of agressive scammers in the area of the Grand Palace. Without being agressive, I stood my ground. You'd be surprised how aggressive girls with bread crumbs for the birds can be! :-) Of course, once I yelled "Kamoy, kamoy," they ran like hel_l.

And then there was the taxi driver who, every day when I walked past a particular hotel, offered me "girls", "boys", and even children. Everyday I angrily said, "No," but he didn't stop. Finally, after about a week, I said, "No, I want your wife." He blew up...but it was a very public place...so after I stood my ground he simply walked away...and never bothered me again. Actually, that little episode was probably the stupidest thing I ever did in Bangkok...but it seemed fun at the time.

Like you, on my first visit to Bangkok back in 1985 I had the same worries you have expressed. I got over it. I am vigilent, but I also don't worry.

• 2 months later...
And, I have met a couple of agressive scammers in the area of the Grand Palace. Without being agressive, I stood my ground. You'd be surprised how aggressive girls with bread crumbs for the birds can be! :-) Of course, once I yelled "Kamoy, kamoy," they ran like hel_l.

And then there was the taxi driver who, every day when I walked past a particular hotel, offered me "girls", "boys", and even children. Everyday I angrily said, "No," but he didn't stop. Finally, after about a week, I said, "No, I want your wife." He blew up...but it was a very public place...so after I stood my ground he simply walked away...and never bothered me again. Actually, that little episode was probably the stupidest thing I ever did in Bangkok...but it seemed fun at the time.

Like you, on my first visit to Bangkok back in 1985 I had the same worries you have expressed. I got over it. I am vigilent, but I also don't worry.

I was by myself in Bangkok for a month (around in South East Asia for five). As a blonde, 20-year old girl with no friends, a passion for "un-touristy" places and a pretty rough drinking habit I guess anyone would have thought I'd get into trouble. But, apart from losing my digital camera (which I might as well have forgotten on a restaurant table than someone stealing it) I was fine. So, I can just join the choir - show respect and people will respect you.

And, sweetchariot, now you have to tell me: just what does this "kamoy" mean? :o