Motorbike Spot Fines

Wanraya

I got collared last night (9:30pm) riding out of Soi Post Office onto Beach Road for going the wrong way down a one way Soi.

I had travelleld all of 10 yards but the jobsworth s.o.b insisted on giving me a ticket and confiscating my bike keys until I went to the Police Station to pay the fine which has now gone up to 400 baht rather than the previous 200 baht.

I've noticed driving along Beach Road that there are a lot of police on the wrong way junctions pulling over any farang driving on to Beach Road.

Learn from my mistake - take the extra two minutes to drive up the Soi and down the next one rather than get stuck with a 400 baht fine and a one hour wait in Pattaya police station.

I've noticed driving along Beach Road that there are a lot of police on the wrong way junctions pulling over any farang driving on to Beach Road.

Learn from my mistake - take the extra two minutes to drive up the Soi and down the next one rather than get stuck with a  400 baht fine and a one hour wait in Pattaya police station.

Many Thai people also get fined in this way, not just farangs, and what was you doing driving down a one way street the wrong way?

AndFarangs call Thai drivers bad. :o

Lucky you did not hit another motorcycle or a pedestrian on your trip down the one way street the wrong way.

He was not a jobsworth at all, you was dumb. :D

Aye it cant be that difficult to drive 1 Soi along and go down Soi Yamoto can it? Was sat in the wonderful bar and the police were collaring everyone coming up Soi Yamoto (towards 2nd road) about a week ago.........they must of made some money that night, entertaining viewing anyways. :o

I got collared last night (9:30pm) riding out of Soi Post Office onto Beach Road for going the wrong way down a one way Soi. 

I had travelleld all of 10 yards but the jobsworth s.o.b insisted on giving me a ticket and confiscating my bike keys until I went to the Police Station to pay the fine which has now gone up to 400 baht rather than the previous 200 baht.

Learn from my mistake - take the extra two minutes to drive up the Soi and down the next one rather than get stuck with a  400 baht fine and a one hour wait in Pattaya police station.

Thanks for the warning. I think most of us get lazy and go the wrong way on sois. We see the Thais do it daily and give it go. Now I won't.

[We see the Thais do it daily and give it go.

And the ###### BIB as well. I am working in Soi 5 at present and every day one ot two cops ride down that soi the wrong way, even saw a police car do it last week. Still its like riding without a crash helmet, if your a cop in uniform its ok.

[We see the Thais do it daily and give it go.

And the ###### BIB as well. I am working in Soi 5 at present and every day one ot two cops ride down that soi the wrong way, even saw a police car do it last week. Still its like riding without a crash helmet, if your a cop in uniform its ok.

And you WCR, being an ex UK cop NEVER broke the law back home? Yeah right.

The point is anyway, its a real p*ss off, especially in the morning when driving to work, (talking about Bangers now) I have to drive through a area with around 10 tower blocks and at times it resembles a disaster movie with motorcycles coming towards me from all angles. It becomes a major problem when I'm suffering from a serious bout of Heineken poisoning. And If/When one of them does hit me, I guess it will be my fault!

Going back to the original poster, I have to say, one of the many reasons I do love this country is the way the MIB work, $00 baht fine and its all over, back in the UK, Points off your license, Court, out of touch but I guess a fine of 50 quid???? Nah, don't complain!

Happy days!

going the wrong way down a one way Soi.

I sympathise with you - but, it is very frustrating when you are turning into a one way street the correct way in the pick-up and you have someone is coming the wrong way, normally at high speed......

I cannot sympathize with anyone who endangers others. For some reason Farangs imitate the Thais here and think it's OK to drive in any direction at any time from anywhere as long you have a motorbike. It's downright crazy!

As a pedestrian, I can't tell how many times a motorbike came at me from a direction I never expected! The whole idea of traffic laws is to protect people from crazy guys like you who think it's OK to go the wrong way to save two minutes.

I think it would be appropriate to make the fine 5,000 baht. Perhaps that would knock a little sense into people like you who have no concern whatever for others.

I think Pattaya [and Thailand] is changing. When I first started coming here almost no-one wore helmets, and center lines, one way signs were treated as mere suggestions - a lot more than now. In fact the first couple of years I came here I never bothered with a helmet myself at all, until I got fined in Phuket in 2001.

For quite a while it was only farangs and obvious bargirls and katoys that got fined for such minor infingements - but now I see even motorbike taxis and songtaew drivers getting pulled over.

going the wrong way down a one way Soi.

I sympathise with you - but, it is very frustrating when you are turning into a one way street the correct way in the pick-up and you have someone is coming the wrong way, normally at high speed......

Don't worry about it.

If they hit you they can bankrupt their entire family paying the repair bill!!

Oh yeah....UK cops are not bent........yeah right, forgot that.

At least the MIB are honest about their corruptness unlike some 'good ol British bobbies'

Harry you're a ######. Less than 0.5% of UK police officers are bent, compare that to 99.5% here. Get real.

Thanks WCR...I'm sure I have been called worse.

First of all its really stupid pulling stats out like that when they are totally unfounded. However, it serves no purpose in getting into a Flame war as the topic will go off from Thai Cops onto crooked Brit Cops which is unrelated to Thailand and we don't need a Mod coming involved.

I will agree to disagree with you!

Feel free to PM if you want to continue the matter privately.

maybe they should start fining bikers upcountry who persist in riding on the wrong side of the road.

how many times have i had to swerve to avoid some dumb kid who just left school who was belting along on the nearside of my lane .

so many nearly headons

I am all for the police enforcing traffic laws...not just grabbing folks for no helmets but for wrong turns, SPEEDING, improper lane changes, etc. This would make the Thai roads of death a bit safer and would bring in revenue...would the increased revenue help raise police wages and less corruption...maybe not but the increased safety on the roads would make life here a bit nicer. By the way, several weeks ago my Thai wife pointed out signs along the road, in Thai, that warned about the increase in fines...some penalties carry a 1000 baht penalty. :o:D:D

Oh yeah....UK cops are not bent........yeah right, forgot that.

At least the MIB are honest about their corruptness unlike some 'good ol British bobbies'

Harry you're a ######. Less than 0.5% of UK police officers are bent, compare that to 99.5% here. Get real.

Thanks WCR...I'm sure I have been called worse.

First of all its really stupid pulling stats out like that when they are totally unfounded. However, it serves no purpose in getting into a Flame war as the topic will go off from Thai Cops onto crooked Brit Cops which is unrelated to Thailand and we don't need a Mod coming involved.

I will agree to disagree with you!

Feel free to PM if you want to continue the matter privately.

I think u will find WRC is infact very bent, of the fudge nudging category! :o

42000 people will die on Roads in The USA this year, Huge big wide roads, well policed, they must be lousy drivers.

Maybe, but what is the population of the USA?

Thailand manages 13,000 deaths from only 60+ million people!! :o

300M in the US (I think) so about five times the population of LoS. Scale up 13,000 and you get 65,000 deaths. Not much more than the US, all things considered.

The soapies, however, appear to be sorted.

3,508 people were killed on Britain’s roads in 2003, 2 per cent more than in 2002. The number of people seriously injured fell to 33,707, 6 per cent lower than in 2002. Total casualties in 2003 were 290,607, 4 percent fewer than in 2002;

Source of information

About 60M live in the UK so even scaling that number up it's still one third of the US figure. Maybe the seppos really do have a driving problem?

Source of information

About 60M live in the UK so even scaling that number up it's still one third of the US figure. Maybe the seppos really do have a driving problem?

We dodgers have an annual brakes test.... :o

Though we're rapidly running out of old grannies to throw in front of the cars being tested. Could cause a problem in the foreseeable future. :D

Just got fined B200 for doing an illigal turn,no complaints,the cops where stopping everyone,Thais and farangs.

Its the turn when you come out at the top of Theppasit on to Suk,and want to go to Soi Khoa Talo.

Only problem was I just came from Jomtien,and had to go all the way back to pay the fine.

Excepted my UK licence without a problem,kept till I returned with the paid up ticket.