Was Planning On Going To Vientiane For New Visa This Week, What Should I Do?

Hey visa gurus and people who live close to the Mekong,

I was all excited to go on a trip to Vientiane to get a new tourist visa at the end of this week, and eat croissants :-), but I hear there are big floods up in Nong Khai and Vientiane.

(Sorry for sounding a bit self-centered about this -- obviously, the floods are causing problems for Laos and Thai people much bigger than my little visa issues. Still, I need to do *someting* about my visa :-P

1) What's the current flood situation? I heard the waters are receading? Am I crazy to think of taking a train up to NK this weekend?

2) Is the Thai consulate open in Vientiane? I don't mind sticking arund if it opens only on Monday.

3) I've had 3 tourist visas already, is it possible they might refuse me a new tourist visa? I'm not a criminal and I look presentable. I take Thai lessons and in principle I can get a 3 months student visa through my Thai school, but if I could get another tourist visa, that is simpler for me.

thank you for all your information.

cg

Hi

I am in similar position to you. Planned to go on the 27th and have flights booked to Udon Thani (from BKK).

If it is impossible to go to Vientiene I will do a border run to Poipet for a 30 days stamp.

Maybe thats an option for you too.

There are 2 or 3 threads about the floods. 1 is in the Issan forum and 1 is in this forum. Also I think 1 in news clippings

Maybe they can give more info. Off there now to check them out!!

With regards to you having 3 tourist visas already, I have read here that there is no limit on number of Tourist visas so you should be ok.

All the best and good luck :o

Hi

I am in similar position to you. Planned to go on the 27th and have flights booked to Udon Thani (from BKK).

If it is impossible to go to Vientiene I will do a border run to Poipet for a 30 days stamp.

Maybe thats an option for you too.

There are 2 or 3 threads about the floods. 1 is in the Issan forum and 1 is in this forum. Also I think 1 in news clippings

Maybe they can give more info. Off there now to check them out!!

With regards to you having 3 tourist visas already, I have read here that there is no limit on number of Tourist visas so you should be ok.

All the best and good luck :o

Things looking better, see below.  I'm also headed up to Vientiane early next week.

Mac

http://www.mrcmekong.org/

Mekong River Water Levels (Warning)

General observation for Tuesday August 19 shows that between the Chiang Saen and Savannakhet stations the level of the Mekong River has decreased greatly in upstream areas, and slightly downstream. Levels have increased between Pakse and Chau Doc stations, with the exception of at the Koh Khel station on the Bassac River, where the level has been stable for the last three days. The river level at Vientiane has dropped below flood stage but remains above alarm stage. At Nongkhai station measurements are still above flood stage. It is predicted that levels will recede from alarm stage in Vientiane and flood stage in Nongkhai in the next two to three days. The water level at Paksan station has dropped to below flood stage but remains above alarm stage. At Nakhon Phanom the Mekong has dipped to just below alarm stage although it remains above alarm stage at nearby Thakhek. The water level at Mukdahan remains above flood stage but should drop below that stage tomorrow. The water level will also drop at Savannakhet, where neither alarm stage nor flood stage has been reached. The water level at Pakse seems to have stabilised, but remains above alarm stage. While Koh Khel station shows stable levels today, it is forecast that the river there will rise and approach alarm stage in the coming days. At the most downstream station of Tan Chau, where the water has already passed alarm stage, it is expected forecast that the level will gradually increase over the next few days. Similarly the river level at Chau Doc station reached alarm stage today and will continue to rise over the next few days. 

Currently water levels at all stations from Luang Prabang to Kompong Cham are still higher than the levels at the same period of 2000. 

(updated 19-Aug-08, 11:50)

Flood Report - Latest News