Thailand-parallel Universe

Lancelot

Whilst I agree with you that attitude can be changed IMO human nature cannot, we can only take so much before something snaps. The only question is how much of what we can take and what snaps.

The immigration officer may have just dealt with an unshaven, beer and armpits reeking slob bawling into his mobile whilst shoving his passport and other documents over in an untidy, crumpled heap. Next customer tried to be nice and civil and he snapped.

Maybe the girl in the shop had just had five customers in a row handing over 1000 Baht notes for small purchases. The OP was the sixth and she snapped.

How many of us have never snapped at a family member or colleague only to think later "what an ar5ehole I was"?

But I also agree with bina that society worldwide is getting harder, unfortunately adopting the worst side of western culture. I guess this is the attitude you refer to and, while you are correct in that it doesn't cost nor hurt to be nice, attitude is perceived to be cool.

Years and years back home, running a pub, we always had enough change, that we could easily change a few 1000 Notes, it was a sport after they have been newly issued... nobody ever phux me, attitude, be smarter, not aggresive, keep your cool and give 'em a bright smile when their faces fold, because you can come up with the change, a smart remark, make the officer flutter, a nice comment to the girl, in my local 7/11, market stalls, petrol station, i am welcomed like a VIP customer, simply because I always try to be polite, friendly, if the greet me I smile back and greet them!

Now, that's really COOL!

The officer is like the bus driver, the conductor, very much exposed... but still NO reason to snap - if one does understand the mechanics of it - with snapping one makes things worse instead of relieve!

I try to not get involved - get the job done - it's 99,9 % of the time an overblown ego-cramp, something...

I think I stick to it because it's my background, catering, service and hospitality industry, since many years also training human resources... I tell them they all have a choice, they want to cooperate they're in, not, out - clear cut!

Just happens to have some trainees from India, they are very different, very... it is an ethnic, fabric of society, attitude phenomena!

Well with the globalization problem and trying to be cool, worst of "western society" ... I don't know.. I think many are simply too busy polishing the wrong impression about "themselves" their Ego, then really trying to work on themselves for their own benefits... well many will die before they know.. but then who cares - certainly not me... I try hard to avoid confrontations with the "evil"!

Much, much healthier, stress free and happier way of life!