Internet Access

wilson steer

ADSL: If there is coverage in your area, this would be your best bet. The speeds aren't spectacular, but usually better than dial-up. Charges vary from provider to provider, but are usually more reasonable than other options.

Mobile: Speeds depend on your area, from really bad to acceptable. If you use it a lot, expect to pay a lot.

Satellite: Downloads are fast, uploads are slow, lots of latency. Connection depends on the weather, just like UBC satellite installations. Can be costly if you use it for downloads, since you get billed according to the amount of data transferred.

Don't you just love people who quote a lot only to reply with a single word?

ADSL: If there is coverage in your area, this would be your best bet.  The speeds aren't spectacular, but usually better than dial-up.  Charges vary from provider to provider, but are usually more reasonable than other options.

Mobile: Speeds depend on your area, from really bad to acceptable.  If you use it a lot, expect to pay a lot.

Satellite: Downloads are fast, uploads are slow, lots of latency.  Connection depends on the weather, just like UBC satellite installations.  Can be costly if you use it for downloads, since you get billed according to the amount of data transferred.

Don't you just love people who quote a lot only to reply with a single word?

yes!

I live in samui...are there any alternatives for landlines

here?..I won't hold my breath

iPStar. I have had it for a year now and am very happy. Go to http://www.csloxinfo.com/broadband/ipstar4_en.asp#1

It is worth it in that I am running about 480kbps down and 98kbps upload. :o

If you have a post paid mobile you could consider GPRS or EDGE.

I live in the sticks up North and I use AIS and GPRS.

Price depends on the package you buy, speed is a bit like a landline and if you don't do a lot of big downloads, it is OK.

if you have a landline already, the first thing I would recommend is make sure that your telephone line from the street to your wall socket is in perfect condition.

most installations I have seen have many twisted together wires with years worth of corrosion which will cause many problems. for about 4-5 baht per meter you can buy telephone cable so it can be quite cheap just to replace the whole lot.

check that out first and see if your problems diminish. if this solves problems, then think about getting ADSL as it is now very affordable.