Msg

Dorry

Hi all,

a friend of mine has an allergy against msg, but she loves Thai food.

This ผงชูรส is msg in Thai, right? Can anybody tell me, how I ask for msg free food in Thai?

Thanks a lot!

Dorry

Yah sai Pong Chua Rot na ka ! ( Yah means don't .... Mai means not ) :o

That's correct, but a little closer to "Yah sai pong choo (oo as in boot) rot na kha" อย่าใส่ผงชูรสนะคะ .

From my experience asking this is only going to be of value if the food is being prepared to order. Lots of pre-prepared items particularly noodle soups like gwaytiow or bamee naam from street vendors and small shops are already loaded with MSG, so if your friend is allergic to MSG it is probably better to have her avoid these items altogether.

The major problem your friend will have is that if the waiter/waitress doesn't know or isn't sure or couldn't be bothered or if they cant read will just shake their head anyway. Im gluten intolerant and even with my thai g/f translating its still hit and miss.

Thanks, all.

I'm not surprised about msg being used so much in street food and small places, but thanks for reminding me.

Zorro, exactly, I am afraid it will work just like that. But she had already quite a bit of Thai food and is still fine - so, I am not sure if she is really allergic or just uneasy when she knows that it's in her food.

Thanks for your comments!

The major problem your friend will have is that if the waiter/waitress doesn't know or isn't sure or couldn't be bothered or if they cant read will just shake their head anyway. Im gluten intolerant and even with my thai g/f translating its still hit and miss.

Not quite sure what you are getting at here Zorro. Whenever i order my food i tell them i don't want them to add sugar or MSG and it's always easily understood.

Not quite sure what you are getting at here Zorro. Whenever i order my food i tell them i don't want them to add sugar or MSG and it's always easily understood.

If msg or sugar makes you extremely ill then you would have known what Im getting at. If its just because you don't like msg then you will never really know if its in there. For example if I'm eating in a Thai kitchen mom and pop style and I get served by a bored little tubby thing that looks like shes 14 with a thousand yard stare, my G/F will translate and the girl will without a second thought and instantly shakes her head. How would she know? she needs to ask the cook.

If msg or sugar makes you extremely ill then you would have known what Im getting at. If its just because you don't like msg then you will never really know if its in there. For example if I'm eating in a Thai kitchen mom and pop style and I get served by a bored little tubby thing that looks like shes 14 with a thousand yard stare, my G/F will translate and the girl will without a second thought and instantly shakes her head. How would she know? she needs to ask the cook.

Still not following you mate. Just because MSG and sugar doesn't make me ill, it doesn't mean i don't know when it's in the food. Admittedly, the consequences aren't so grave, but the point is i still usually know.

As for encountering the distant-looking waitress, i guess i must be lucky. Don't come across that often and if i am in doubt about my order getting cooked correctly, i find it's usually easy enough to just go and order directly with the person who is cooking.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, all.

I'm not surprised about msg being used so much in street food and small places, but thanks for reminding me.

Zorro, exactly, I am afraid it will work just like that. But she had already quite a bit of Thai food and is still fine - so, I am not sure if she is really allergic or just uneasy when she knows that it's in her food.

Thanks for your comments!

In my vast experience of the food here in Thailand, particularly the overpriced garbage they serve up in the so-called 'upmarket' restaurants here on Phuket, it is not the 'street food and small places' which use the most msg. And you'd be wasting your time trying to explain not to put msg in the food in whatever restaurant anyway. Where do you lot think you are? Luton?!!

Edited by jitagon