Luang Prabang: Best Currency

WaldoPepper

I dont know if others find this overkill but generally when i go to Laos, I use dollars for big things such as my room rental, baht for food/shopping/everyday use, but have a few small Laos notes for things like the fruit vendor.

LP is not Vientiane on the Thai border. On my trip, dollars were what they wanted everywhere, for everything. Kip for small things like transport rides. If you bring in a pile of small US change, you won't regret it. And yes bigger bills to pay for bigger things like hotel rooms.

Edited by Jingthing

I too will be going to Laos soon, thanks for the advice. I have a bunch of big one dollar bills, do you know where I could change them to the small one dollar bills you recommend ?

Don't worry about it. Take baht & US in whatever size denomination you like. It's not a problem.

Edited by davidgtr

QUOTE (mongoose @ 2008-08-24 09:44:18) post_snapback.gifI too will be going to Laos soon, thanks for the advice. I have a bunch of big one dollar bills, do you know where I could change them to the small one dollar bills you recommend ?

i can give you the phone nr of my shrink :o

Thanks for the offer but I will pass. If you want to help, ask Jingthing <deleted> he/she means by "small one dollar bills". Have you ever seen one? How much smaller is it than the normal or big ones?