Pda/blackberry Questions

INTJ

Hi,

My samsung Dwhatever is fast approaching the end of its duty cycle, and I need a new phone.

Wandering through MBK last week, I noticed many of these PDA type devices. For some reason I would like one.

Now I know nothing about these at all, and would welcome some buying advice and general information.

One I was looking at was a Dopod and it had GPS for 11,900 baht. Will this GPS work just like a Garmin system in a car ?

Also, can I have full access to the internet on these phones, not rubbish WAP sites ?

What else can I do ? What is a Blackberry etc..............?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

My samsung Dwhatever is fast approaching the end of its duty cycle, and I need a new phone.

Wandering through MBK last week, I noticed many of these PDA type devices. For some reason I would like one.

Now I know nothing about these at all, and would welcome some buying advice and general information.

One I was looking at was a Dopod and it had GPS for 11,900 baht. Will this GPS work just like a Garmin system in a car ?

Also, can I have full access to the internet on these phones, not rubbish WAP sites ?

What else can I do ? What is a Blackberry etc..............?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My favorate is the Asus P535 PDA/Phone... has GPS, Wifi, Windows 6 mobile, Internet, Mobile Office, MP3 and Video players with a 2gb card, and so much more. Like have a PC in a phone.

Blackberry is just another brand of device, though what made it so popular is its "push" email facility which other brands can now use also. You can only buy Blackberry from AIS itself (i think True also now supply them) and they arent widely supported.

Its also a massive intruder into your life. Mine never stops making noise, and i would love to be able to leave it at home sometimes, but alas cannot for work.

The Dopod type PDAs are fun to play with though.

Step one. Figure out WHY you need the device (aka. what you would use it for).

Step two. Find devices matching your criteria. HTC, iPhone, Blackberry, ASUS, HP, etc.

Step three. Compare devices and select based on price and performance.

Optional step four. If you are still in need of advice. PM me.

I would mainly like the device to impress my son who thinks his Dad is a dinosaur :o

Seriously, just something to play around with, the ability to surf the net and check emails "on the go" would be good, and GPS is pretty cool.

The Asus device mentioned above looks pretty good.

Cheers

I received my new HTC TyTNII (aka AT&T Tilt, aka AT&T 8925, aka HTC Kaiser) last week. Bought it through AT&T (I have a postpaid account with them), they shipped it to our admin (in USA). She shipped it here, it sat in Customs for a week, but it was delivered with no duty. It was a hassle, but worth it price wise...I ended up paying 199 USD vs. the Thai retail price of 32,900 THB (about 968 USD) :o . I am not sure about the shipping, as it came in my twice-monthly "mail pouch".

So far I like it. I have been tweaking it, getting it set up with True GPRS/EDGE and working with my WiFi at home. I have the email set up to pull from my work email...though we use Outlook for work, I did not set up the phone mail as "Outlook", just plain ol' email. I use the ActivSync software to keep my address book and calendar updated from my laptop.

My next mission is to get the GPRS/EDGE working with AIS, then getting the modem functionality configured for both carriers. And then getting the various apps to work seamlessly with my WiFi and GPRS/EDGE.