Polish Or Wax For Leather Sofas

ChiangMaiFurnishedApts

I wanted to apply a wax or polish to some of our leather sofas to prevent sun damage as well as minor scuffs and scratches. The only stuff I have seen for sale in Chiang Mai is in places like Tesco and its an imported spray more geared to car seats. This leather is usually a tougher/harder grade of leather.

Has anyone seen a decent wax that is exclusive for furniture application.

I'd be careful about using a wax in this climate. Better to use a leather care cream/liquid. If you can't find a commercial brand in any of the stores, here's a recipe from an advice site I found [http://www.bhg.com/decorating/lessons/furniture-guide/leather-furniture-care/].

1 teaspoon of household ammonia 4 teaspoons of white vinegar 2 cups water Mix ingredients together. Apply mixture, dry with a soft cloth, and then wipe on castor oil, using a soft cloth. Rub on leather shoe cream in the appropriate color. Buff well.

One thing about leather, it doesn't start to look worse for a long time - just different as it ages and wears naturally. If you're really concerned about caring for it, look for a place that stocks horse saddle care materials for cleaning/conditioning the leather.

I'd be careful about using a wax in this climate. Better to use a leather care cream/liquid. If you can't find a commercial brand in any of the stores, here's a recipe from an advice site I found [http://www.bhg.com/decorating/lessons/furniture-guide/leather-furniture-care/].

1 teaspoon of household ammonia 4 teaspoons of white vinegar 2 cups water Mix ingredients together. Apply mixture, dry with a soft cloth, and then wipe on castor oil, using a soft cloth. Rub on leather shoe cream in the appropriate color. Buff well.

One thing about leather, it doesn't start to look worse for a long time - just different as it ages and wears naturally. If you're really concerned about caring for it, look for a place that stocks horse saddle care materials for cleaning/conditioning the leather.

if shoe polish is dark check whether properly buffed by sitting on it wearing white trousers.

saddle soap

Agreed. I wouldn't use anything else for quality leather.

... and not just 'any saddle soap.' Use "Belvoir Glycerine Soap" for all your really good leather gear. A natural sea sponge, a bar of Belvoir, and a bucket of water, and a LOT of elbow grease. Work up a good lather with the sponge on the bar, and rub like crazy into the leather. After the cleaning, let the leather dry and give a light coat with Lexol leather conditioner. Don't use neatsfoot oil in Thailand. The little critters will have a picnic!

You can order both products over the net from dozens of sources.

• 7 months later...
I wanted to apply a wax or polish to some of our leather sofas to prevent sun damage as well as minor scuffs and scratches. The only stuff I have seen for sale in Chiang Mai is in places like Tesco and its an imported spray more geared to car seats. This leather is usually a tougher/harder grade of leather.

You could try "Pledge" I have used it with favourable results.

We always used to say "put pledge on yer dusters" gives a real shine (though not a shine on your dusters :o )

I am now waiting for your response BB :D

You could try "Pledge" I have used it with favourable results.

We always used to say "put pledge on yer dusters" gives a real shine (though not a shine on your dusters :o )

I am now waiting for your response BB :D

It does say on the pledge can that you can use it on leather. I haven't seen saddle soap here. I get white mold on my soft leather sofa during the rainy season. vinegar water gets rid of it.....natural disinfectant....then polish. I did buy some liquid in the car dept. that seems to work pretty well...it's thin as water though. you don't want to get the leather too wet. I used to use liquid gold leather cleaner/polisher in the states, but not likely to find it here.

Four things my Haleys Hints cleaning book says about leather:

1. Some say to restore lustre to leather try wiping with a cloth dampened with milk.

2. To remove unsightly grease stains from leather, try dabbing a little stiffened egg white to the leather and then rub with a soft cloth.

3. For a leather softener, several drops of olive oil wiped on with a soft cloth may help soften hardened leather.

4. Leather Preserver...Some say to preserve your leather after cleaning it, rub on a layer of petroleum jell, leave on for 3-4 hours. Wipe off with a soft cloth.

REMEMBER: always test on an inconspicous area of your leather item first.

For cleaning, saddle soap is still probably the easiest.....if you can find it.

Beachbunny

• 8 months later...