PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

Please, moderators, is it possible for you to set up a news clippings area where only the news reports are posted on breaking news topics?

This thread is a good example of how difficult it is to seperate the news from many pages of political debate...being 29 pages long already.

Yes -- please do this. It's hard to keep track of what's going on. A single thread we could check for news only would be wonderful.

Mods:

Would it be possible to have one thread for published news reports and another for opinions?

It's quite hard to sort through 30+ pages to filter out the various discussions from the published reports.

Edit.

Wow, someone already beat me to the thought.

This subject has been raised a number of times in the past on ThaiVisa, and the consensus has always been that ThaiVisa is first and foremost a discussion forum, not a news feed service.

Point noted however, and I will raise it again with Admin for further consideration.

Would be nice if mods could somehow "tag" posts and users could filter topics based on tags...?

One for the Invision folks...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting item in one of The Nation's articles posted on their web site this morning.... This is the first reference I've seen to this kind of involvement in the situation....

"I was granted an audience with His Majesty the King. His Majesty asked me to enforce the law with extreme caution, to be soft and gentle. I beg all of you to understand and sympathise with me," Samak was quoted by an official source as telling the Cabinet.

"Soft and gentle" were the words Samak used yesterday in his news conference with foreign media... They seemed very uncharacteristic for him to use, given his style and history... Wonder if that direction came from a different source...

Sure seems to me that given the stalemate we are now down to having democracy decided by the vote of one person !!

PAD is a rabid and trained dog set forth by its hidden master to accomplish an express purpose.

make no mistakes, the actions of PAD are in perfect harmony with the will of its Master.

after the objective is completed, then the dog will be rilled in and put back in its underground cage.

We don't know how many people support the latest move.

That doesn't really matter - PAD will not simply disappear and Samak should resign for not being able to bring reconciliation to the country.

He can postpone it for some time, but the country is becoming ungovernable, and there's zero chance of Sondhi and Co telling their supporters to pack up, go home, and never come back again. It's a huge problem that will never go away.

Talks of Parlament dissolution as a possible way out are not that far off.

Realistically, with Thaksin out of the picture, isn't it the time to have another elections where he doesn't run as a puppet master?

Well, Plus you could be right . If the Pad don't back down, and Sondhi has vowed they won't, and there is a dissolution of parlament I don't think there will be any enthusiasm for another election among a majority of the Thai population outside Bangkok. Democracy is supposed to mean freedom of choice. Any future election will not grant that to the people. The only candidates who would be allowed to run would be friends of the military and PAD. In fact it would be an insult to the people to even hold sham elections in such an environment. Like it or not, Thai politics is likely to go into reverse gear until it arrives at a point where the adverage Joe has no say whatsoever in politics except at choosing the village headman.

18,000 PAD protesters remain outside government house

Deputy spokesman for the National Police, Police Major General Surapol Tuanthong (สุรพล ทวนทอง) revealed that there are still some 18,000 People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters stationed at the Government House. The protesters have been in the area since the mass rally began yesterday and have continually tried to impeded government work by closing off entrances. The deputy spokesman said that their demonstration tactic resembles that of the Makkhawan bridge rally but said that it has been deemed illegal as it is not on a public road.

Police have rotated shifts and beefed up presence in the area to affirm their grasp on the rally and they have done their best to make sure the protest remains in order. Police Major General Surapol said that all police have been instructed to monitor the rally in a peaceful manner as to not escalate the situation.

PAD leaders have not issued any clear stance on how long the rally will last and have only stated that they will end the gathering once the Prime Minister resigns. Nonetheless, police are attempting to review the situation to allow government workers to be able to continue their duties.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 August 2008

Police to seek warrants for PAD leaders and protestors

Deputy Spokesman for the National Police, Police Major General Surapol Tuanthong (ีสุรพล ทวนทอง) indicated that police are preparing to request courts to issue warrants for the 5 leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) as well as 7-8 other protesters.

The deputy spokesman said that police have had to beef up their presence at the Government House rally to many 100 troops as the location does not allow public forum or rallies, but assured that the expulsion of the PAD would be conducted in a sensitive manner.

He affirmed that legal warrants would be sought by using evidence collected since the 25th of this month, mostly concerning infringement of national security and treason. The deputy spokesman said the situation would not digress.

Samak's response to all this has been exemplary. It must be driving Sondhi mad, that he cant send his sheep to slaughter.

The PAD has shot themselves in the foot, lost the respect of the international media (and made Samak look great) and lost the support of anyone who happened to be "on the fence" in terms of their backing of the PAD.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sondhi shoots one or more of his own in a desperate attempt to lay blame on the administration (away from cameras of course)

Police Commander affirms the expedition of warrants for PAD leaders

National Police Commander, Police General Patcharawat Wongsuwan (พัชรวาท วงษ์สุวรรณ) has ordered investigative officers to expedite their efforts in acquiring arrest warrants for the People's Alliance for Democracy's (PAD) leaders and demonstrators. He said that the entire rally is illegal as it is a gathering of more than 10 people with the intent to overthrow the government as well as causing public disturbance. The police commander admitted that the Secretary-General of the Prime Minister's Office may seek a court injunction to bar the PAD from the area.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Police General Kowit Watana, who is also a high ranking police officer is set to attend a meeting to follow the situation at the Metropolitan Police Headquarters today.

This subject has been raised a number of times in the past on ThaiVisa, and the consensus has always been that ThaiVisa is first and foremost a discussion forum, not a news feed service.

Point noted however, and I will raise it again with Admin for further consideration.

Thanks, Jai Dee. In certain circumstances, though, surely an exception might be made ?

News is coming from so many sources. It would seem a good use of the wide TV membership monitoring those sources.

On the plus side, at least another election will drain money from the 'elites' into the hands of the poor as more votes get bought.. These elections aint cheap ya know :o

And if you can't do some Mega-Projects they make a minus.

Police rule out chaos

BANGKOK: -- Police on Wednesday played down the fear for chaos triggered by the People's Alliance for Democracy-led protests.

"It is expected that the PAD-led protesters would not break any laws today nor try to provoke the authorities," police deputy spokesman Maj General Suraphol Thuanthong said.

Suraphol said police would work in accordance with prescribed procedures in order to clear protesters from the grounds of Government House.

Police will today seek the court approval to issue the arrest warrants for the five PAD leaders and will see to it for protesters to gradually moving out of the government compound, he said.

-- The Nation 2008-08-27

Samak's response to all this has been exemplary. It must be driving Sondhi mad, that he cant send his sheep to slaughter.

The PAD has shot themselves in the foot, lost the respect of the international media (and made Samak look great) and lost the support of anyone who happened to be "on the fence" in terms of their backing of the PAD.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sondhi shoots one or more of his own in a desperate attempt to lay blame on the administration (away from cameras of course)

Good point. The government is only benefiting from the PAD's latest antics. Its just showing what PAD really wants. (Destroy the freedom of the press) etc. It was great to hear on the BBC talk about PAD's ideas to go back in time to a dictatorship... At least the world media can now see what PAD really stand for. Its a shame all of the PAD's sheep dont relise the hidden agendas of the group.

Edited by Los78

I don't think he cares about the international media and no way that Samak can look great. Now also our "on the fence" staff went to the PAD.

But what are they planning...whats next??

This is somehow "half a coup", something like "a little bit pregnant"....

enough to stay for a long time in jail, but by no way enough to get the power....

So I don't understand that plan...

"Rentamob" is back.

This is just outright anarchy now.

Looting is usually the next step in the downward spiral.

where is "rentamob"??

The PAD does not pay anything.

I incorrectly reported that my sister in law and her friend were offered 300 baht to take part in PAD protests.

My wife just got off the phone with her sister.....It was 500 baht and free food.

....By the way, as nationalists they are you can worry for your own one year visa renewal if they are in charge one day....

don't you worry, 'as nationalists they are' they will first close down all bars in patong, pattaya and bangkok, which are frequented mainly by farangs and their 'would-be-missus' (and the communists will eat your children!).....

"Rentamob" is back.

where is "rentamob"??

I incorrectly reported that my sister in law and her friend were offered 300 baht to take part in PAD protests.

My wife just got off the phone with her sister.....It was 500 baht and free food.

Didn't I read that the people in government house are going hungry?

"Chamlong Srimuang, a leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, Wednesday demanded officials to open up the buildings inside Government House compound to allow protesters to answer the call of nature."

So, General Chamlong is threatening to have his employees defecate and urinate on the house of democracy in Thailand. The Army generals, at least this one, has really gone too far in insulting the other 63 million Thai people! If Thaksin supporters threatened to empty their bowels at Army Headquarters, you'd bet that heads would roll. Unfortunately, he who has the armed tanks, calls the shots...

Using the toilets in a government facility is not an unreasonable request, regardless of the context.

He was asking to PREVENT the protestors having to urinate and deficate all over the place.

Essentially the OPPPOSITE of what you are implying.

"It is expected that the PAD-led protesters would not break any laws today nor try to provoke the authorities," police deputy spokesman Maj General Suraphol Thuanthong said.

Another classic statement from the Thai authorities. What planet do they live on?

That's been scheduled for 2 o'clock this afternoon

Samak said the 5 advisers did not want to be Cabinet members as they preferred to keep their huge personal incomes from the private sector and not declare their assets. *LOL, not suspicious in the least...as there are multiple logical reasons WHY these requirements are in place* The new advisers have been criticised for having possible conflicts of interest as they have the opportunity to get inside information from the Cabinet while they sit on the boards of private companies. *Can't get much more dodgy than that*

The economic team can join the Cabinet meetings to consider economic issues. *They can also plan their stock purchases and sales in accordance with what occurs at Cabinet meetings and other closed-door governmental meetings, can sit on the Board of Directors of businesses doing deals with the government, purchase land on prospective government projects gleaned from insider information, and can do so much more and all with absolutely no accountability.... sweet deal*

Meeting of economic ministries to be held at OCSC

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej will chair the meeting scheduled at 2pm.

"Rentamob" is back.

where is "rentamob"??

Thats a lie! Free food of course as Chamlong monks cook vegetarian food there.

500 Baht is a lie. All my staff is going there.....they would love to hear where they could collect any money.

All GIVE there money, my wife usually 1000-2000 Baht. Our staff usually 20-200 Baht in that box to collect money.

(would a paid mob have a box to collect money??????)

Some of our customer also go there, they are all wealthy, have Mercedes, big houses and wouldn't move one finger for 500 Baht.

You would fit perfect in the government who lie every day something different.

Government to file complaint against protesters with court

PM's Secretariat office will file complaint with Civil Court against protesters' occupations of the Government's compound.

BANGKOK: - Loiluen Bunnag, deputy secretary general of the premier said his official will field the complain with the court at 1pm. He said the protesters have caused damages to the Government House which is an official venue.

It is not unclear whether he will seek compensation from the protesters.

-- The Nation 2008-08-27

Personally I feel my own support for the PAD has took a bit of a beating (but not gone completely). Trying to promote this new style of "democracy" is utterly farcical and the wrong way to go about what's resolving the situation. It's precisely what "democracy" isn't, so they should at least change their name if they wish to keep campaigning for it.

The main problem as far as I can see is this - where the h3ll is the political opposition? A few of us (myself included) commented yesterday on how Samak was dragging his feet to make a statement. Abhisit should of been jumping all over this yesterday. If Samak wasn't prepared to show his face then Abhisit certainly should of been. Instead, what do we finally get today? The typical it's-none-of-my-business "I hope it is resolved peacefully" lameo response.

And the longer Thaksin keeps getting a beating in the courts, the more difficult it's going to be to make the usual (kop-out IMHO) excuse "they've got more money/power". The PAD have managed to mobilize god-knows-how-many thousand supporters within a moments notice, and that's through a shared belief. Why are the Democrats not actively harnessing this support?

We can harp on as much as we want about how the PPP/TRT/whatever next vote-buy their way through the system. I'm starting to wonder when we'll finally address the other major reason these guys repeatedly get in power (if not *the* reason), lack of effective opposition.

Rant over. Would be happy to be proved wrong on this one - just the way I see it.

Its refreshing that at least someone is reasonable enough to be having second thoughts about supporting the PAD. Whatever PAD may have been in the begining they have morphed into something quiet different at the hands of Sondhi and his close associates. Abhisit has probably decided to sit on the fence because he has rightly seen that anything he says will give the appearance of taking sides. Clearly he doesn't want to be associated with Samak and now that PAD have gone somewhat off the rails he probably wants to distance himself from them as well, and who can blame him.