PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

:o)-->

QUOTE (:D @ 2008-08-28 02:20:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think something must be going on at the rally site now.

The current broadcast on ASTV isn't 'Live', it's a replay of footages broadcasted at around 23:00 - 24:00 and made to seems like it's broadcasting 'Live' at the moment.

Sonthi couldn't have taken the 'Live' broadcast off the air when they needed the media most.

Checked out TOC and they aren't broadcasting anything at the rally site either, just advertisement.

My guess is the police has started moving in...

Looks worrying...and isn't gonna be good.

:D

Highly doubt it. Probably nothing going on so nothing to televise. For sure any activity would've been reported by a number of possible sources.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of toilet facilities could be a telling factor.

so what does it tell YOU? are you an anal-erotic? you are so puzzling and mysterious.......

Hey Sigmund !!

It tells me people are going to get sick within a very short period of time, particularly in hot, damp conditions.

:o)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (:D @ 2008-08-28 02:20:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think something must be going on at the rally site now.

The current broadcast on ASTV isn't 'Live', it's a replay of footages broadcasted at around 23:00 - 24:00 and made to seems like it's broadcasting 'Live' at the moment.

Sonthi couldn't have taken the 'Live' broadcast off the air when they needed the media most.

Checked out TOC and they aren't broadcasting anything at the rally site either, just advertisement.

My guess is the police has started moving in...

Looks worrying...and isn't gonna be good.

:D

Nothing is going on.

ASTV often replay portions of speeches from earlier in the evening and then return to live but do tell the audience, unlike NBT. It s often done so the musicians can setup mics and instruments.

Don`t worry about the lack of toilets, they can throw a stage in minutes, they are always well organised, food water, Red Cross, improvised toilets are easy to build and isolate. The Thaksin zombies use plastic bags but unfortunately throw the urine or feces filled bags at the PAD crowd instead of a garbage can.

Edited by Tony Clifton

The lack of toilet facilities could be a telling factor.

so what does it tell YOU? are you an anal-erotic? you are so puzzling and mysterious.......

Hey Sigmund !! It tells me people are going to get sick within a very short period of time, particularly in hot, damp conditions.

so you are really sick! i am so sorry for you. get well soon...........

Thai protest refuses order to leave gov't compound

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) — Thai authorities stepped up pressure Wednesday on demonstrators occupying the grounds of the prime minister's office, getting court orders demanding the crowd disperse and issuing arrest warrants for nine protest leaders on insurrection charges.

The actions raised tensions at the protest site, where at least 2,000 police faced a crowd of rightist demonstrators that appeared to number as many as the 30,000 estimated to have protested the previous day when the compound was seized.

About 5,000 members of the People's Alliance for Democracy camped on the grounds of Government House to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, while thousands more filled adjoining streets.

A protest leader read the court orders to the crowd late Wednesday, but said protesters would ignore them pending appeals.

Dozens of demonstrators built makeshift barricades to hinder any police raid, despite their leaders saying they would not resist arrest. But while police were out in large numbers, they did not appear to be preparing to quickly enforce the court order.

Samak said Tuesday that authorities would avoid using force against the demonstrators and would take a "soft and gentle" approach. He accused the protesters of trying to incite violence that could provoke a coup, but said he would not resign.

Gen. Anupong Paochinda, the army chief, reassured the public Tuesday that the military was not planning a coup and would stay out of politics.

The protest alliance wants Samak's government to quit, saying it is a proxy for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted by the military in 2006 and recently fled to London in the face of several corruption cases.

After Samak led Thaksin political allies to a victory in national elections last December with the support of Thailand's rural majority, the alliance launched a new protest campaign in May and it escalated this week with the capture of Government House.

The capital's deputy police chief, Lt. Gen. Jongrak Chutanont, said the Bangkok Civil Court issued a ruling late Wednesday ordering all protesters to immediately leave the government compound and to stop blocking public streets.

Earlier in the day, the Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for nine leaders of the right-wing protest group, which is loosely aligned with conservative factions in Thailand's royal family and the military.

A police spokesman, Maj. Gen. Suraphol Tuanthong, said the warrants charge insurrection, conspiracy, illegal assembly and refusing orders to disperse. Insurrection carries a maximum penalty of death or life imprisonment, but no one is known to have been executed for at least 30 years on the rarely prosecuted charge.

Police urged the alliance's leaders, including Chamlong Srimuang, an influential former politician and army officer, and Sondhi Limthongkul, a media mogul, to turn themselves in.

Another protest organizer, Samran Rodpetch, announced the court orders from the protest rally stage and indicated the group would not comply while they appeal on Thursday.

Chamlong previously said the leaders would be willing to be arrested. But their supporters at Government House reacted angrily to news of the warrants.

"We will not allow police to arrest our leaders," Samran told the cheering crowd. "If the police want to arrest them, come here and do so. Or if they want our leaders to give themselves up, that is fine, but the government has to resign first."

Interior Minister Kowit Watana appealed for the protesters to leave so a ceremony honoring the royal family could be held at Government House as planned Saturday.

The event, which is supposed to be attended by Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn, comes at an awkward time for the alliance, which proclaims itself the most loyal supporter of the monarchy. Nearly all Thais revere the royal family, especially King Bhumibol Adulyadej, and to be seen as failing to pay full respect to the royals would be a political liability.

-- Associated Press 2008-08-28

Thought perhaps you'd gone to bed already, jf :o I just tuned out for Champions League instead, only to watch an abysmal performance by Liverpool up to now.

I don't think it's likely there's going to be any more activity tonight - the fact that ASTV is off is a pretty good sign in a way.

Actually... ASTV is back broadcasting now..as of 4 am...what appears to be live footage.... Folks on stage all are wearing rain jackets now...and we just had a thunderstorm....so it appears to be live footage... And all the crowd is still there... But I see nothing on regular Thai TV at present.

Actually... ASTV is back broadcasting now..as of 4 am...what appears to be live footage.... Folks on stage all are wearing rain jackets now...and we just had a thunderstorm....so it appears to be live footage... And all the crowd is still there... But I see nothing on regular Thai TV at present.

Hopefully, it's going to stay that way... nothing. But frankly, if I were one of the protesters, I don't know that I would appreciate the music... would've been nice to get a few more winks.

That has already happened - the lawn there is an absolute mess, rubbish everywhere, and the stink of the crowd is getting unbearable.

The overbearing behavior of the obnoxious PAD guards is getting worse every day, like little SA troopers parading their batons. There have been many incidents where ordinary PAD protesters had to apologize for the behavior of those guards.

This whole disgraceful episode is increasingly turning out a PR desaster for the PAD, and it will get only worse.

I am disgusted when i read most posts here of the last pages - a few posters have managed to turn this forum into a PAD propaganda machine.

quote removed - lopburi3

That has already happened - the lawn there is an absolute mess, rubbish everywhere, and the stink of the crowd is getting unbearable.

The overbearing behavior of the obnoxious PAD guards is getting worse every day, like little SA troopers parading their batons. There have been many incidents where ordinary PAD protesters had to apologize for the behavior of those guards.

This whole disgraceful episode is increasingly turning out a PR desaster for the PAD, and it will get only worse.

I am disgusted when i read most posts here of the last pages - a few posters have managed to turn this forum into a PAD propaganda machine.

The demo has gone on for two night and starting three days with no real violence, the PAD are getting massive amounts of media attention and support is continuing to build. PAD has certainly not lost any face on this. If anything they have succeeded in forcing Thai people to make a concrete decision about what they think of Samak and his cronies being allowed to continue their terms.

It's a good PR for Thailand in the international press that Thais are able to stage peaceful protests compared to other countries like Burma, South Korea, China, US where the Govt/police have draconian responses.

If you put 35,000 people together anywhere its' gonna get messy. Can't really see how that makes PAD loose face.

The demo has gone on for two night and starting three days with no real violence, the PAD are getting massive amounts of media attention and support is continuing to build. PAD has certainly not lost any face on this. If anything they have succeeded in forcing Thai people to make a concrete decision about what they think of Samak and his cronies being allowed to continue their terms.

It's time for PAD leaders to appeal to the general public. They should come clean and tell people why they have decided to launch this latest attack. If they are sincere and if they were really acting with best intentions, people will understand and accept it.

They should also apologise for the NBT raid, of if, indeed, it was a provocation, they should tell the public they have nothing to do with it.

Someone posted timeline earlier - the raid was carried on before PAD leaders told the protesters about the plan. I find it hard to believe they'd send goons to take over the station when they can just walk in, as they did just a few hours later and despite heavy police presence and no surprise factor.

Anyways - PAD should talk to general public, they can't do it alone.

It's time for PAD leaders to appeal to the general public. They should come clean and tell people why they have decided to launch this latest attack. If they are sincere and if they were really acting with best intentions, people will understand and accept it.

They should also apologise for the NBT raid, of if, indeed, it was a provocation, they should tell the public they have nothing to do with it.

Someone posted timeline earlier - the raid was carried on before PAD leaders told the protesters about the plan. I find it hard to believe they'd send goons to take over the station when they can just walk in, as they did just a few hours later and despite heavy police presence and no surprise factor.

Anyways - PAD should talk to general public, they can't do it alone.

I don't think they can reach the general public.

PAD, get out of Govt House

Latest The Civil Court on Wednesday night ordered the People's Alliance For Democracy (PAD) to immediately move out of Government House and its grounds. Nine PAD leaders also face arrest. The Civil Court acted on the request of the Secretariat of the Prime Minister. The arrest warrants were approved by the Criminal Court on four charges, including treason.

The PM's secretariat yesterday filed a complaint with the Civil Court seeking an urgent hearing of an application for a temporary injunction to disperse the PAD protesters. National police chief Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan said PAD leaders would be informed immediately of the Civil Court's order.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

Have just returned from government house - and even more people than last night AND yet again I didn't see a single police officer anywhere (approx. 11.30 pm - 1.15 am).

Razor wire has been erected across Phitsanulok road at the Nakon Sawan junction with stacks of tyres.

Thousands of protesters inside the government house compound and several thousand more outside. TV also there in force.

All this talk - earlier this evening - of the police evicting the protesters by force - was obviously just another scare tactic that appears to have back-fired.

Spotted many ambulances parked in front of the horse racing stadium on Phitsanulok road.

Also surprised by how many young people were there.

In short - Samak hasn't a hope in hel_l's chance of ever removing these PAD supporters.

Still no mobile toilet facilities.

Thanks for the updated report-on-the-ground, Bulmercke. It's important to read what others are saying that are actually there, instead of the made up descriptions by people who only pretend to be there, like fuzedcon.

Keep up the good job and again, stay safe.

It's time for the government to do something.

The have arrest orders for the nine main leaders of PAD.

They have a court order for the protestors to leave.

I wonder if anybody has informed all those inside of the court order. I am willing to bet that most of those inside are not aware that they are now subject to arrest for not obeying a court order. I also wonder if any of them are aware of the royal event that is planned for Saturday.

Maybe the governments next move should be to let them know about all the above. Don't know how but there has to be a way.

The way I see it now is that the government has every right to go in with as much non lethal force as needed (no guns)to clear the mob out.

A number of posts speculating about the Thai Royalty have been deleted.

From the Forum Rules:

No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family. Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.

It's time for the government to do something.

The have arrest orders for the nine main leaders of PAD.

They have a court order for the protestors to leave.

I wonder if anybody has informed all those inside of the court order. I am willing to bet that most of those inside are not aware that they are now subject to arrest for not obeying a court order. I also wonder if any of them are aware of the royal event that is planned for Saturday.

Maybe the governments next move should be to let them know about all the above. Don't know how but there has to be a way.

The way I see it now is that the government has every right to go in with as much non lethal force as needed (no guns)to clear the mob out.

Of course the people inside are informed....maybe you turn on ASTV and listen....it is not top secret.....

Arrest warrants issued for PAD leaders

BANGKOK: Thailand's criminal court yesterday ordered the arrest of nine members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the anti-government group which stormed half a dozen ministries and offices on Tuesday.

Until late yesterday, the protesters - whose numbers had grown to 10,000 - were still occupying Government House in Bangkok.

Tension was in the air inside the complex as the face-off between the police and protesters continued after a court ordered that the area be cleared.

Arrest warrants were issued for the PAD's five leaders: media baron Sondhi Limthongkul, child development activist Piphop Thongchai, former general-turned Buddhist ascetic Chamlong Srimuang, labour leader Somsak Kosaisuk, and academic-politician Somkiat Pongpaiboon.

Warrants were also issued for PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila, and three PAD members who had led the protesters in an invasion of the offices of the state-owned TV channel NBT on Tuesday morning.

They are charged with 'rebellion' and causing public disturbances, and defying police orders to disperse.

'Rebellion' against the state carries the death penalty.

Eighty-two PAD protesters arrested during the break-in at NBT, remained in custody yesterday after being denied bail.

Police made an unsuccessful attempt early yesterday to clear Government House of the protesters who overran the usually heavily guarded grounds on Tuesday.

At around 3am, hundreds of police in riot gear gathered at Government House, and were faced down by hundreds of PAD protesters, many holding portraits of King Bhumibol Adulyadej in front of them.

After about two hours of an uneasy face-off and a minor skirmish that left about a dozen protesters slightly injured, the police withdrew.

As soon as news of the arrest warrants emerged, General Chamlong and Mr Sondhi sat in amongst the crowd of thousands who by yesterday afternoon had consolidated themselves in the grounds of Government House.

The PAD has set up pavilions and parked open topped trucks in the grounds, used as stages for political speeches and performances of patriotic songs.

PAD volunteers control all the gates of the large, rambling complex. But the buildings were left intact with no attempts to break in.

- Straits Times / Aug. 28, 2008