PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

DAAD gathers in front of parliament

(BangkokPost.com) - Over a thousand supporters of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD), a pro-government group, have blockaded U-thong Nai road to gather in front of the parliament building on Sunday morning.

Their aim of the demonstration is to voice their support to the People Power party-led coalition government and their opposition to the movements of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Many hundreds of police officers have been dispatched to maintain order around the parliament building. People working at the parliament with clearance cards are allowed to enter and exit the building only.

In the meantime, more people are travelling to U-thong

Nai road to join the rally staged by the DAAD. The gathering is expected to continue to Sunday evening.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPP if they were smart would tell there people to go home. if something gets started between ppp and pad. PAD gets what it wants a reaction. Which could lead to fighting and the army stepping. PUD wins.

Gandi understood these principles well.

Thats quite correct.

A counter rally by PPP supporters would be playing directly into PADs hands. Two opposing rallies on the streets at the same time would inevitably result in a violent clash and trigger military intervention, -- probably a full scale coup. Obviously the vast majority of PPP supporters realize this and have the sense to stay out of it.

my 2 cents..

I can't help thinking that the real reason why everybody is upset is not because of thaksin or samak, it is the fact that people are not able to live on the money they make working anymore.

in this last year, we have seen the cost of food at the supermarkets rise over 100% from what it was last year. hotels, air fares, etc. EVERYTHING increased in the price in the last year. AND then, the price of oil entered the arena and skyrocketed like never before.

if you are a thai person that makes the average daily salary of around 200 baht a day, you cannot live on that anymore.

as I see it, this is what is causing all the unrest.

SOMEBODY has to confront this issue, and resolve it.

Welcome to globalization; not having it means: away with the expensive mobiles, the car (opwned by the bank anyway), the soap operas on TV and back to buffaloes and rice fields. Sure then even a day laborers salary can feed a whole family (I have seen it with my own eyes).

It is the people's own greed that makes them upset.

Agree on that!

Most of our previous staff would be very shy to own such an old ugly mobile phone like I do.....It must be the latest model.

Two of our former salesguys would be shy to drive in such an old ugly car than I do, they change cars frequently, most of the time they have a new one, but frequently the bank takes it back (there must be a hugh market of goods taken by the banks?).

They finance a second wife, no of both wifes would cook themself...they go in a restaurant.

And they are often so out of money that they can't buy food anymore. They would live nice if they wouldn't spend their money for silly things.

my 2 cents..

I can't help thinking that the real reason why everybody is upset is not because of thaksin or samak, it is the fact that people are not able to live on the money they make working anymore.

in this last year, we have seen the cost of food at the supermarkets rise over 100% from what it was last year. hotels, air fares, etc. EVERYTHING increased in the price in the last year. AND then, the price of oil entered the arena and skyrocketed like never before.

if you are a thai person that makes the average daily salary of around 200 baht a day, you cannot live on that anymore.

I think you're right, or at least in large part. I've heard several Thais saying that if Samak stays in the prices will stay high or get worse.

PPP if they were smart would tell there people to go home. if something gets started between ppp and pad. PAD gets what it wants a reaction. Which could lead to fighting and the army stepping. PUD wins.

Gandi understood these principles well.

Thats quite correct.

A counter rally by PPP supporters would be playing directly into PADs hands. Two opposing rallies on the streets at the same time would inevitably result in a violent clash and trigger military intervention, -- probably a full scale coup. Obviously the vast majority of PPP supporters realize this and have the sense to stay out of it.

And another year the new TRT would maybe win the election and the circle will repeat.

Soon PAD will come again and everything would be the same.

Either one had to submit or it'll repeat, looks like the Thais can never understand the word of 'submitting.'

Thai prime minister asks lawmakers to end crisis

BANGKOK, Thailand – Thailand's prime minister acknowledged that his administration cannot control spiraling anti-government protests and urged Parliament to find a political solution during an emergency session Sunday.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej once again refused to resign as thousands of protesters camped out at his official compound for a sixth day.

"I will not bow. I will not step down and I will not resign — despite the pressure mounting on my government," said Samak, speaking in his weekly television program Sunday, hours before the joint session of Parliament.

Samak said his government and the courts were unable to restore calm after they tried and failed to evict the protesters. The crowd size has ranged from 2,000 to about 30,000, and protesters have turned the government's headquarters into a disheveled campground with tents, portable toilets and piles of garbage.

"Since the government cannot resolve the problem — even the courts cannot resolve the problem — the joint session of Parliament is the best choice for finding a solution," Samak said.

- Associated Press (3 minutes ago)

==============

what can Parliament do to "resolve the problem"? dissolve?

What used to be the lawn in front of Government House has turned to mud after rain and the occupation by the People’s Alliance for Democracy. — Apichart Jinakul

How much will this mess cost to repair along with all the other damage done.

Yes, what is the current per square wah rate for humanity?

I don't know what the price is but those real estate agents in Phuket will sell deed or no deed.

BANGKOK, Thailand – Thailand's prime minister acknowledged that his administration cannot control spiraling anti-government protests and urged Parliament to find a political solution during an emergency session Sunday.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej once again refused to resign as thousands of protesters camped out at his official compound for a sixth day.

"I will not bow. I will not step down and I will not resign — despite the pressure mounting on my government," said Samak, speaking in his weekly television program Sunday, hours before the joint session of Parliament.

Samak said his government and the courts were unable to restore calm after they tried and failed to evict the protesters. The crowd size has ranged from 2,000 to about 30,000, and protesters have turned the government's headquarters into a disheveled campground with tents, portable toilets and piles of garbage.

"Since the government cannot resolve the problem — even the courts cannot resolve the problem — the joint session of Parliament is the best choice for finding a solution," Samak said.

==============

Maybe proposing to legally 'dissolve' the PAD mob by force, sounds like it, there's no other way unless either side submits.

Vintage Samak.... :o

r335575747.jpg

Thailand's Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej gestures at the studios of Thai state broadcaster NBT in Bangkok August 31, 2008. Thailand's parliament was due to hold a special session on Sunday to debate street protests that have undermined Sundaravej, while his supporters planned a counter-rally in the capital.

REUTERS

my 2 cents..

Welcome to globalization; not having it means: away with the expensive mobiles, the car (opwned by the bank anyway), the soap operas on TV and back to buffaloes and rice fields. Sure then even a day laborers salary can feed a whole family (I have seen it with my own eyes).

It is the people's own greed that makes them upset.

I don't think it's the people's 'own greed' at all. I think they just want a better quality of life for themselves and wonder why so many here should have it and their not having any hope of anything beyond the buffaloes and rice fields. Actuallyl.

==============

Maybe proposing to legally 'dissolve' the PAD mob by force, sounds like it, there's no other way unless either side submits.

Asking the parliament to vote to dissolve the PAD mob by violent means. If there are several dead ones, how any court can blame it on Samak?

What if the Parliament were to invoke a State of Emergency (and not just Samak himself) ? (Is that possible ?)

If the Parliament were to do it, he might be able to wash his hands of what ever happens as a result, by claiming it was the will of the (duly dubiously elected) government.

Either that, or maybe he wants Parliament to quickly pass whatever amendments/laws needed to protect themselves, so they can step down and not worry about ending up in front of a court like their former leader.

==============

Desolving would only delay PAD starting up again after PPP or whatever they are called win again with more members elected not requiring a coalition.

I would hope a joint resolution calling for an emergency decree with conditions imposed.

Just let PAD stay where they are until they get tired and leave.

End the illigal strikes,

SNAP ELECTION?

The six parties in the government coalition have expressed support for Samak and he insisted that he would not resign, telling thousands of supporters at an official event on Saturday that he had been constitutionally elected in December and would never bow to the demands of the protesters.

"I came to this job under a legal mandate. I will only go if the law does not allow me to stay and not simply because someone issues threats and puts pressure on me," he said.

But speculation is growing that he will call a snap election, especially as his People Power Party is popular outside Bangkok.

Analysts said he would want to hold on until Wednesday, when parliament will debate, and probably approve, the government budget for the fiscal year starting in October.

That would give sitting ministers funds to spend in ways that would support their election prospects.

The PAD also proclaims itself to be a defender of the King against a supposed Thaksin plan to turn Thailand into a republic, another charge denied by both Thaksin and the government.

- Reuters

==============

Asking the parliament to vote to dissolve the PAD mob by violent means. If there are several dead ones, how any court can blame it on Samak?

It's the parliament's decision, and every MoP who agreed with it should suffer the consequences.

If both PPP and the PAD refused to either resign or stop the mob, would you mind suggesting any other way to solve the problem other than asking the military to perform another coup?

Maybe a snap election would work, but last I heard PAD demands Samak and the whole TRT members to be out of politics forever, so the PAD would most likely not stop even with a snap election.

Edited by Seizhin

What used to be the lawn in front of Government House has turned to mud after rain and the occupation by the People's Alliance for Democracy. — Apichart Jinakul

Exactly

TNN also reporting that DAAD numbers about 1000. The video I'm watching now supports that number.

Nevertheless, this is 1% of what had been claimed would show up... bit of a farce in my opinion.

Anyone see any buses upcountry offering to shuttle DAAD protesters?

==============

It's the parliament's decision, and every MoP who agreed with it should suffer the consequences.

If both PPP and the PAD refused to either resign or stop the mob, would you mind suggesting any other way to solve the problem other than asking the military to perform another coup?

Maybe a snap election would work, but last I heard PAD demands Samak and the whole TRT members to be out of politics forever, so the PAD would most likely not stop even with a snap election.

If neither side is stepping back, what are the options:

a) the crises continues the way it is for another 6 month (nothing is impossible in Thailand)

b ) the army steps in with a new election in 1 year in which TRT 3rd edition wins and PAD starting demonstrations against them......

c) violence....HM the King speak on TV and something...I don't know what changes.

Edited by h90

What used to be the lawn in front of Government House has turned to mud after rain and the occupation by the People's Alliance for Democracy. — Apichart Jinakul

Exactly

Just to state that Mr. Chamleong's humanity pays 500 baht per person (but not every person) to overthrow the PPP by force.

Personally, I've the same opinion with h90, either way, Samak will fall.

To safe the economy he should just resign with his ministers.

<snip>

Edited by Crow Boy
removal of reference the HM as per forum rules

SNAP ELECTION?

The six parties in the government coalition have expressed support for Samak and he insisted that he would not resign, telling thousands of supporters at an official event on Saturday that he had been constitutionally elected in December and would never bow to the demands of the protesters.

"I came to this job under a legal mandate. I will only go if the law does not allow me to stay and not simply because someone issues threats and puts pressure on me," he said.

But speculation is growing that he will call a snap election, especially as his People Power Party is popular outside Bangkok.

Analysts said he would want to hold on until Wednesday, when parliament will debate, and probably approve, the government budget for the fiscal year starting in October.

That would give sitting ministers funds to spend in ways that would support their election prospects.

The PAD also proclaims itself to be a defender of the King against a supposed Thaksin plan to turn Thailand into a republic, another charge denied by both Thaksin and the government.

- Reuters

SJ very astute observation.

Follow the money.

Edited by animatic

Exactly

Just to state that Mr. Chamleong's humanity pays 500 baht per person (but not every person) to overthrow the PPP by force.

Just to state that it is most probably simply not true

Exactly

I'm in Hat Yai where it's the Democrat's and anti-government area.

After writing your name and ID Number, they'll pay you 300 baht per day if you joins the protest in Hat Yai and 500 baht per day if you agree to go to Bangkok with them.

Seen with my eyes, and my friends received the money.

And yes, I've been personally given the offer from my friends who joined the mob, it's better than the average 200 baht per day pay, who wouldnt want to join?

Oh edit, I dare not risk myself to join, especially when they record your full name, address and ID No. completely.

Edited by Seizhin

Excuse me for a dumb question. If the Government House is not really usable right now, why is not electricity shut off to that grid area? Could not the police deprive the PAD demonstrators of electricity without using violence? If they are using generators, are they so well protected that they could not be disabled?

The ever-changing, but always-weird looks of Samak continues... :o

In times of national turmoil, it's always reassuring to turn to the Leader and be faced with a tie-less, dissheveled old man who looks like he's coming off a 3 day bender....

1220159173.jpg

Thai PM reiterates: Won't dissolve House, nor resign; Parliament will meet

BANGKOK, Aug 31 (TNA) -- Reiterating that he would neither resign nor dissolve the House *directly going against the Chiang Mai People Power Party MP's declaration posted earlier.... the Party struggle continues*, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Sunday he is duty-bound to inform members of Parliament of the ongoing political chaos in Thailand when they meet Sunday afternoon.

Speaking during his weekly TV and radio address, Samak, also defence minister, said all the 480 elected members of the House of Representatives and 150 senators, of which 76 were elected, will attend an urgent debate which is scheduled to start from 1.30 pm.

"No vote will be cast," said Samak, adding that the debate, however, will give an opportunity for senators and elected members of the opposition Democrat Party to express what they think of the political turmoil as the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) continues to occupy the prime minister's offices at Government House for the sixth consecutive day Sunday.

Leaders of the six-party coalition government, formed in early February, pledging at a late Saturday meeting, that the government would not budge to protesters' demand calling for the ouster of the government and that they would remain united with Samak as leader. *although Friday they were calling for his resignation and pulling out of the coalition*

As the government and the courts have failed to resolve the political turbulence, Parliament will try to end the crisis, Samak said.

"Fear is causing damage to the country," Samak said repeatedly, referring to the PAD demonstrators who have staged rallies against his administration since May 25.

He blasted the six PAD leaders who have mobilised large numbers of people to join the protest, saying that he as defence minister could use tools and equipment to suppress the demonstrators but he did not want to as it could further damage the country.

"They (the protesters) have no right to do this," said Samak angrily. "What's the final aim of the instigators?"

The protesters want the opposition Democrat Party to form a government and if their plan fails, they would come out again, said Samak.

"What if the Democrat Party leader would feel if he were me," he asked. The urgent debate is organised as protesters are now also closing two key airports in the southern resort provinces of Phuket, known as the pearl of the Andaman Sea, and Krabi, causing thousands of passengers, many of them foreign tourists, to remain stranded.

Most of rail services across the country have also stopped, while labour union members of state-owned Thai Airways International (THAI) have also threatened to stop work.

-

Excuse me for a dumb question. If the Government House is not really usable right now, why is not electricity shut off to that grid area? Could not the police deprive the PAD demonstrators of electricity without using violence? If they are using generators, are they so well protected that they could not be disabled?

The people who works in the electrity and water department threatens to cut off the supplies in Bangkok if Samak refused to resign.

Easily translated that the people in the department supports the PAD, no reason to cut off PAD's information network.

Exactly

I'm in Hat Yai where it's the Democrat's and anti-government area.

After writing your name and ID Number, they'll pay you 300 baht per day if you joins the protest in Hat Yai and 500 baht per day if you agree to go to Bangkok with them.

Seen with my eyes, and my friends received the money.

And yes, I've been personally given the offer from my friends who joined the mob, it's better than the average 200 baht per day pay, who wouldnt want to join?

Oh edit, I dare not risk myself to join, especially when they record your full name, address and ID No. completely.

Anyone else who has seen that?