Taxi Idea

alantheembalmer

Like many people on TV, I've had hours of fun with the taxi drivers of Bangkok. They either cannot understand me, (or pretend not to), when I tell them my destination, or try to take me somewhere else. To overcome this I've printed a map from Google, in Thai, and in colour, showing the cabbie where I live, and I've laminated it so that the driver can hold it comfortably. I thought that this was very clever of me, until I realised that very few of them can understand a map, and too many for my liking can't read, so the effort of having it printed in Thai was wasted.

I've now decided to invest in a hand-held GPS system, so that when I get into the taxi I input the destination, turn the language spoken to Thai, and BINGO I'm off to my destination. Or am I?

Like many people on TV, I've had hours of fun with the taxi drivers of Bangkok. They either cannot understand me, (or pretend not to), when I tell them my destination, or try to take me somewhere else. To overcome this I've printed a map from Google, in Thai, and in colour, showing the cabbie where I live, and I've laminated it so that the driver can hold it comfortably. I thought that this was very clever of me, until I realised that very few of them can understand a map, and too many for my liking can't read, so the effort of having it printed in Thai was wasted.

I've now decided to invest in a hand-held GPS system, so that when I get into the taxi I input the destination, turn the language spoken to Thai, and BINGO I'm off to my destination. Or am I?

save your money :o

Only two things are infinite in this existence, The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure on the former.

Paraphrasing.

In anycase, if they Really want to try hard and say they don't understand, they will. Your better of ditching the cab and finding another.

Worst thing that ever happened to me was coming back form the airport in a metered taxi only to realise the bastard had a dodgy meter that clicked up WAY too fast.

Worst thing that ever happened to me was coming back form the airport in a metered taxi only to realise the bastard had a dodgy meter that clicked up WAY too fast.

Very common scam and probably not noticeable by the average tourist that is traveling to LOS for the first time in their life.

I had it happen to me once on a route that I took once a week every month for a year or more. The ride should have been around 270 baht and the meter was a little over 500.... Should have seen that taxi driver almost crying when I spoke to him in Thai and indicated I was going to turn him into the tourist police. :o

You were talking to part time cabbies, who just came to escape the boredom and no work upcountry.

For GPS the way you said you would use it, you need to be in a country better than Japan.

In Japan (Tokyo has more people than entire Canada) , you tell the driver the phone number. Or the phone of the destination's nearest 7-11 or whatever. Then, sit and enjoy the ride.

They either cannot understand me, (or pretend not to), or try to take me somewhere else.

In a decade of living in LOS I've never had much of a problem with Bangkok taxi drivers. Out of the hundreds {thousands?} of trips I have taken, I can count the number of truly bad experiences on my hands :o

As for those that try to "take you for a ride," either by intentially getting lost, deliberitly getting stuck in a traffic jam, having a "fast" meter, or taking a non-direct (though still a defensible) route, it's only been maybe 5% of the rest. If I feel the bad service was deliberate, I often just give what the more direct route would have cost and have never had a problem.

...I've now decided to invest in a hand-held GPS system, so that when I get into the taxi I input the destination, turn the language spoken to Thai, and BINGO I'm off to my destination. Or am I?

Wasn't that a add by Nokia with some backpacker in a tuk-tuk trying to get to KSR?

TH

You'll probably have more success learning thai and speaking/pronouncing correctly , learning the roads/sois/expressways and giving the driver instructions/corrections verbally when needed.works fine for me.

You'll probably have more success learning thai and speaking/pronouncing correctly , learning the roads/sois/expressways and giving the driver instructions/corrections verbally when needed.works fine for me.

This is obviously a long term solution, and I was thinking more in the short to medium term. I made the GPS comment to help both parties: me and the driver. I also do not know what the reaction would be from the average cabbie having me tell him where to go. Maybe I've been spoilt, as in all the major cities of the world I just jump into a taxi, tell the driver where I want to go, and he takes me there. I didn't realise that I would have to be the navigator when I got into a Bangkok taxi!

My Thai friends also complain of getting ripped off by taxi drivers.

One friend carried a map with her at all times. Then she talked it out with the taxi driver to see if there are any traffic jams or long lights they'd need to avoid.

She now has her own car, listing her frustration with taxi drivers as part of the reason.

I've had pretty good luck except for recently. I then ran into some doozies all in one week. Turns and roundabouts...

Edited by desi

I've only had an issue with a taxi once in my 8 months in thailand. Sometimes it's a little more expensive than it should be and sometimes they don't know the best route...but I find 95% of taxi drivers (meter ones) to be honest and will get you to the destination properly.

I would suggest you:

#1 ALWAYS GET A METER TAXI. If a taxi driver will not give you a meter, he's trying to rip you off right there. He's shady, get another one.

#2 Learn how to ask for your destination in thai. Just learn how to pronounce your main streets and Soi's properly in Thai (with a decent accent).

#3 Don't look like a stupid tourist begging to get ripped off.

I don't understand why so many people complain about taxis in BKK. It's the TUKs which will really rip you off.

PS. Meters supposedly just went up to account for gas prices...so trips are a little more expensive. Or so I've heard (not from taxi drivers)

My Thai friends also complain of getting ripped off by taxi drivers.

One friend carried a map with her at all times. Then she talked it out with the taxi driver to see if there are any traffic jams or long lights they'd need to avoid.

She now has her own car, listing her frustration with taxi drivers as part of the reason.

I've had pretty good luck except for recently. I then ran into some doozies all in one week. Turns and roundabouts...

I have a map in my head...13 years working in Bangkok + i actually study maps for fun(yes I am that sad).Combined with read/writing/speaking thai...taxi drivers hate me :o

I just wind down the window and spark up a ciggert. You should see the look on there faces some times. Just learn where you live and speak it with confidence. A lot of taxi drivers have there preferred directions they want to go. All around the same price in the end. Unless you need the toll way.

I have a map in my head...13 years working in Bangkok + i actually study maps for fun(yes I am that sad).Combined with read/writing/speaking thai...taxi drivers hate me :o

The man in this house also has a map and compass in his head. He's amazing! Also, if he's not sure, he also only has to ask me which way to go, then do the opposite. I even made my living as a cartographer, but it didn't help my sense of direction. The public would call my office asking for directions. Silly people.

Having a compass in his head works in BK until there's a traffic jam we don't know about and the taxi driver does. He'll insist. The taxi driver will insist. Back and forth. Then we'll be left on the side of the road on our lonesome...

I was totally fine with taxis until I figured out sort of where I was in BK and where I wanted to go. Then on some taxi trips (depending), I'd get all tense, thinking that maybe I was being ripped off.

On one trip the driver clearly did not know where we were going. Round and around we went. Four (?) times I saw the Johnnie Walker building from a distance. Four times he made phone calls. Twice to the place I was supposed to be, Silom (not exactly rocket science), for a business meeting. Poor guy, he was so embarrassed to have to let me off on the side of the road. It was a honest mistake (even though bad work knowledge) so I paid him a little then mai bpen rai'd my way out the door.

I'm especially alert for holidays where the driver in no way resembles that photo on the dash, as sometimes it's an adventure. But, mai bpen rai... it's Bangkok... I'd rather be a little late, a little lost, a little out of pocket out here than pay the outrageous prices for a London cabbie (no matter how charming they are).

Edited by desi

I've only had an issue with a taxi once in my 8 months in thailand. Sometimes it's a little more expensive than it should be and sometimes they don't know the best route...but I find 95% of taxi drivers (meter ones) to be honest and will get you to the destination properly.

I would suggest you:

#1 ALWAYS GET A METER TAXI. If a taxi driver will not give you a meter, he's trying to rip you off right there. He's shady, get another one.

#2 Learn how to ask for your destination in thai. Just learn how to pronounce your main streets and Soi's properly in Thai (with a decent accent).

#3 Don't look like a stupid tourist begging to get ripped off.

I don't understand why so many people complain about taxis in BKK. It's the TUKs which will really rip you off.

PS. Meters supposedly just went up to account for gas prices...so trips are a little more expensive. Or so I've heard (not from taxi drivers)

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about me from your curiously idiotic posting. You should fit in well with quite a number of equally ignorant and judgemental people who frequent the less salubrious regions of this fair nation. Now back to the GPS idea.........

• 2 years later...
What about the GPS idea?

It sucks. Get over it.

Lol at least you'd brighten the cabbies day - he'd probably go home pissing himself laughing that the GPS took the longest route possible. Plus how would you know if he is following the directions if you can't speak Thai?

Only two things are infinite in this existence, The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure on the former.

Paraphrasing.

In anycase, if they Really want to try hard and say they don't understand, they will. Your better of ditching the cab and finding another.

Nobody knows if the universe is infinite.

Edited by sirjimi

OP: Three phrases that will save you the money

Leo Sai (left)

Leo Kwar (right)

Drong by (straight on)

Remember these, and you'll always get to your destination.

And remember it's "kwaa", not "kwai" -- this is important.