New Sports Academy Pool Lounge/bar/ Dining & Entertainment

hopsing

For those of you who love top pool (playing or spectating), and may or may not remember the old sports academy above Seafood Palace which closed....this nes [place is really great.

1. Same awesome 9 foot Brunswick Metro tables with shiny new Simonis 860 cloth, together with Aramis pro TV billard balls - - just like the old place. The difference is this place is smaller (only 7, instead of 10 tables....no more private rooms and no parking), but the atmosphere is nice, expecially since they seem lost some of the more pushy, obnoxious and LOUD girls....one in particular comes to my mind.

2. The new Sports Academy location has an outdoor balcony (it is between soi 13 1nd 15, 2nd floor of the buildiong that houses "Tharmae" in the basement and Bush Garden on the first floor.) with great lighting, tables and chairs - excellent view of the downstairs action.

They also have good food in the place from the kitchen downstairs with their own Sports Academy kitchen being planned.

The ceiling is a little low in this place, but the air conditioning is much cooler and more comfortable.

No More projection TV's but they have 4 LCD's TV's (42inch up to 63 inch) showing all sorts of sports - one man (probably one of the owners) was kept busy changing TV stations or taking music requets from customers....and answering my questions - - although he never said he was a boss, everyone there seemed to know him and say hello.

Anyway, the new Sports Academy is much smaller, but remains a great place to hangout and enjoy the casual atmosphere. And this guy that was there often when they were building the place, is very friendly and knows a lot about Bangkok. Other customers said he was one of the partners working everyday to get the place opened for the olympics, and I do remember seeing him there trying to get the TV stations to broadcast in English. I won't mention his name, but the bar is definately worth keeping in mind as a convenient watering hole.

Give the place a try, you'll be happy!

Bert

It was sad that the first location of Sports Academy had to close, as it was the best pool hall I've ever played in. But the new location, above the famous Thermae Coffee House on Sukhumvit between sois 13 and 15, is almost as good. Great tables, good house cues, good farang management, cute girls, some very good players. They have sorted out the smoking problem that plagued the first location, as now all smoking can be done outside on the balcony. So the inside is smoke-free!

Hourly charge for a table is 240 baht, with an attentive and attractive table attendant to hand you the rest, rack your balls, and refill your drinks. But I would like to give a special plug to the challenge table, the table nearest the entrance door. The owner is keen on keeping this table available for players who don't have a partner, come alone and would like to get a game. It's a good deal. Just write your name on the chalkboard, settle down to watch the action with your drink, and pretty soon it will be your turn at the table to play the winner of the previous game. If you win, it's free, and you continue playing as long as you win. If you lose, you pay only 20 baht, and can write your name again to play again soon. It's a good way to meet some new friends over the pool table. Some lovely ladies like to play on the challenge table, and they can play pretty well too.

• 4 weeks later...
Soi 13/15? Is that nearer Nana then and on the other side of the road too?

Yes, this place is actually closer to Soi 15 (S15 Hotel) and directly across the street from Soi 10.

They have the new Sports Academy signs up as well - - easy to to spot!

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It is worth mentioning that they have been selling for a while Iskender Kebab dish.

It is very delicious and big dish(190thb), just like what they have in Scandinavia and

not this crap what some are selling as a kebab in Thailand.

Edited by Aquarius83