Bike Invoice

klinpree

Oddly I have been told you can insure it (dont think tax).. I know I looked at a plate less machine and he showed me an insurance paper in a plastic shield on the bike.

How you can insure a bike, that isnt legal to go on the road, baffles me but hey !!

Of course take that info for what it is.. Being told something by a seller I dont know.

I could also add that even on a plateless invoice bike.. A shop offered to let me ride forever on red plates, those can be taxed and insured.. You cant leave the country, you dont have a book, and I am sure its not 100% above board, but it sure was a cheap fix and I dont see how they can tell at a roadside stop if its a legit red plate or not.

Oddly I have been told you can insure it (dont think tax).. I know I looked at a plate less machine and he showed me an insurance paper in a plastic shield on the bike.

How you can insure a bike, that isnt legal to go on the road, baffles me but hey !!

Of course take that info for what it is.. Being told something by a seller I dont know.

I could also add that even on a plateless invoice bike.. A shop offered to let me ride forever on red plates, those can be taxed and insured.. You cant leave the country, you dont have a book, and I am sure its not 100% above board, but it sure was a cheap fix and I dont see how they can tell at a roadside stop if its a legit red plate or not.

You can drive plateless while waiting for new registered plates, but requires you to have it insured. I am unsure if the rule still is in place but you are supposedly only allowed to drive in the province it is registered between 06.00 and 18.00 hours. You will get the insurance paper in to put in plastic normally before you get anything else. Hence you can see insurance papers on bikes awaiting registartion and tax plates. Plus the papers your dealer gave you, always have them with you!!!

Regarding red plates, if they are made of plastic they enjoy the same rule as pointed to above, ONLY in the province it is to be registered, and ONLY between 06:00 - 18:00, I got in real trouble over that once in a pickup in the wrong province. :o

When it comes to red steel plates they come with a book, you have to pay deposit on it to get it. If you have steel red plates you can drive anywhere anytime, BUT when you leave the province you are to be registered in, you have to fill it into the book, again insurance is a must.

So to answer the question how they see the difference in a road block, well if it's plastic or no plate it is easy you need to show the copy of doc's from the dealer, so if you don't... impound until you show it (or dashing). If it is fake steel plates, you don't have the book... impound until you show it, and when they see it's fake welcome to Bangkok High for falsification of plates, unless you dash the coppers enough to get away with it.

Also note it is obviously not legal with fake plates, and in an accident you would have to pay it all including blood money, because the insurance company will not pay it, plus you broke the law. If you read the rules the insurance comes with and you will see. So you pay insurance for nothing in that case... :D

I once had a gray bike and it got impounded during one of the famous crackdowns in Pattaya, the price plus all the shit which came up with that was just not worth it so I just handed it over, somewhere someone is enjoying it now. But I am glad it happened, if I was involved in a major accident I might been ruined and or in jail now... So for me never ever will I go that way again, it is not worth the risk. Go the legal route, and stay out of massive expense risk and or jail...

These are red metal plates, offered from a bike shop that also sells new bikes..

I havent bought anything new here.. But I thought you got the red (metal) plate on a new car before getting the book issued ?? The book and real plates coming together ???

Regarding grey / recycled books.. If they are properly done, and the book is for the exact right type of bike, same model years, the color and all number are right in the book.. Then its in the system.. Sure its a recycled book but you can legally change everything on the bike except the frame, so as long as its done right I dont see how thats going to be traced. Same as buying a book and frame and then changing every other component with new ones from the unregistered bike, thats 100% legal in my understanding.

These are red metal plates, offered from a bike shop that also sells new bikes..

I havent bought anything new here.. But I thought you got the red (metal) plate on a new car before getting the book issued ?? The book and real plates coming together ???

All my passenger cars have come with metal plates, however one of the pickup's I bought had plastic which was not fun when I got fined for it. And yes the book and plates comes together. You pay a deposit of 3k baht for the plates and book, I don't know how long you can legally drive with it though. Plus you need to keep a copy of the doc's from the dealer with you as well.

You can insure it.

That doesn't mean the insurance has to pay out. As mentioned insurance companies will look for the loophole to avoid paying.

It you ride an unregistered bike you are nuts.

P.S. If you have an invoice it means the tax has been paid. Tax & plates are 2 different things.

Edited by dotcom