Kroo Ae From Mtl Thai School

MTLae

you inspired me to do a quick search. here are a few other dictionaries/reference works I found to have มัน listed with the meaning we've been discussing:

RID (thai-thai)

so sethaputra (thai-english library edition)

domnern sathienpong (thai-english)

matichon (thai-thai)

คลังคำ [groups related words, with definitions] (thai-thai)

Dr Wit Thiengburanathum (thai-english)

Thanks, aanon. I thought I looked for it in the RID, but now recall that I had only checked for the slang spelling with the "s" - and it was later that I started looking into the root word, but didn't go back to the RID. Oops... (Still, it's interesting that many dictionaries don't have that definition.)

Cheers.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear all,

I think that there are many meanings of มัน in Thai (excluding มันส์ that we cannot find in the formal writing)

In case of phrase ช้างตกมัน that you refer, it's in the meaning of elephant condition in mating season because there are oily face and genital. In the other hand, มันส์ that is the main topic we mention is funny, then I think that we cannot use มันส์ with this elaphant condition (eventhough most of elephant usually feel that).

Take care,

Kroo Ae

ครูAeครับ,

Regarding the title of the movie "เทวดาตกมันส์", could "ตกมันส์" have a dual meaning, "fun" and "crazy" ?

Dear all,

I think that there are many meanings of มัน in Thai (excluding มันส์ that we cannot find in the formal writing)

In case of phrase ช้างตกมัน that you refer, it's in the meaning of elephant condition in mating season because there are oily face and genital. In the other hand, มันส์ that is the main topic we mention is funny, then I think that we cannot use มันส์ with this elaphant condition (eventhough most of elephant usually feel that).

Take care,

Kroo Ae

ครูAeครับ,

Regarding the title of the movie "เทวดาตกมันส์", could "ตกมันส์" have a dual meaning, "fun" and "crazy" ?

Dear, 5tash and everyone!!

Regarding to your question, I am very appreciate to answer you

มัน and มันส์ : It has the same meaning which is fun / crazy but มันส์ is more emphasize the feeling of crazy and fun

ตกมัน : For elephent's condition in breeding season

In the title of the movie "เทวดาตกมันส์" the director's idea want to emphasize the angle that he's very fun and crazy but it doesn't use only มันส์ because the director wants to create the phrase to be more widely by using homonym.

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae

Yeah, I'd say เทวดาตกมันส์ is wordplay or a pun with the phrase (ตก)มัน 'in heat' and มันส์ 'fun'.

The movie's about a divine being getting acquainted with the ways of the world. So by conjuring the comparison with an elephant in heat, it's like his time of 'fun' in the mortal world, where he gets to help out the average folks and learn how the other half lives.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, I'd say เทวดาตกมันส์ is wordplay or a pun with the phrase (ตก)มัน 'in heat' and มันส์ 'fun'.

The movie's about a divine being getting acquainted with the ways of the world. So by conjuring the comparison with an elephant in heat, it's like his time of 'fun' in the mortal world, where he gets to help out the average folks and learn how the other half lives.

Does that make sense?

could it be combining

เทวดาตก + ตกมัน (with the extra ส์ cause it's cool)?

i'm thinking of 'fallen angel' or 'angel come down to earth'. not sure if phrase is used in this way, just a hunch.

all the best

I thought of that, too, but thought I was putting my own western spin on it. If the idea of a 'fallen angel' also exists, then it might be a double-pun. Whew!

Edit: Did some Googling.. there's an 80s movie called "เทวดาตกสวรรค์", so that connection also seems like a possibility. Man, allusions can be complicated. :o

Edited by Rikker

Does that make sense?

could it be combining

i'm thinking of 'fallen angel' or 'angel come down to earth'. not sure if phrase is used in this way, just a hunch.

all the best

Hi aanon

Your opinion about เทวดาตก-ตกมันส์ could be fallen angel and then come down to the earth, I think the same as you

As I read the Synopsis of this movie, It's about an angel, his duty to come down and take the monk who became enlightenment and along the way he face different type of people also different situations. I think it's one of interesting Thai movie. :o

Nice days,

Kroo Ae

Hello everyone,

my name is Ae and I m a teacher from My Thai Language School.

During my free time, I'll be very happy to answer to any question you have about Thai language so please feel free to ask me.

Regards.

Kroo ae. :o

Why does มันส์ have a ส์? Any idea of the origin?

Thanks in advance.

Could it be a slang word using the combination of "มัน" and "สนุก". มันสนุก - มันส์ ?

Dear aanon and 5tash,

For the world มันส์ it's an expression when you do something exciting

and มัน=it, we use to call thing with this word

I say Ae, I bet you never dreamed that it would be this complicated! I only have a very old Mary Hass dictionary and a school childrens dictionary here in England and this metamorphosis is not covered in either, is it still a verb?

Edited by tgeezer

Does that make sense?

could it be combining

all the best

I think we are inventing too much, ตกมัน is an adjective describing the condition of a male elephant the physical sign is oil seeping through the skin. Full stop. iT

Does that make sense?

could it be combining

all the best

ช้างตกมัน is 'noun and adjective' ตกมัน refers to the condition of a male elephant when oil seeps from the skin, probably comes from มัน fat (noun) but who knows? Used to describe an angel, however 'fallen', would be ridiculous to me. I would say that a new condition of angels has been described 'ตกมันส' the symptoms of which can be seen in the film. So now there are two new words I have learned today.

Good one, Rikker. (But, I thought that was obvious.)

Of course it is obvious, it is called 'poetic licence' is it not? It could become a new adjective for any tempory behaviour similar to the angel in the film, given enough exposure.

Good one, Rikker. (But, I thought that was obvious.)

Of course it is obvious, it is called 'poetic licence' is it not? It could become a new adjective for any tempory behaviour similar to the angel in the film, given enough exposure.

Dear tgeezer and everyone,

The meaning of poetic licence is

"The liberty taken by an artist or a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect".hm()

Some of Thai words can be poetic licence, for example the word มันส์ in the movie เทวดาตกมันส์ (our topic dicussion).

This type of word has been used in the present day especially in teenagers. For my opinion as a Thai teacher I think it's not wrong to acknowledge to the new things but it's better to know the root of words and the correct way to pronounce and writing.

Nice day,

Kroo Ae

hm()

Hi everyone :o

Lately it's been raining all the time, hope all of you are doing fine and don't forget to take care of yourself well.

Raining like this remind me of the phrase "Raining cats and dogs" which mean raining very heavy in Thai is "Fon Dtok Raow Gab Faa Rua"

Hope everyone enjoy the rest of the day

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae

Kroo Ae: how is that saying written in Thai?

Dear Mangkorn,

Raining cats and dogs, In Thai is "Fon-Dtok-Raow-Gab-Faa-Rua"

written in Thai is "ฝน - ตก - ราว - กับ - ฟ้า - รั่ว"

Thank you for your question, It my pleasure to help you.

So anyone who has questions about Thai language, feel free to ask me anytime in this forum.

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae

Thanks, Kroo Ae. I would also like to invite you (if you wish), to participate in other threads where we have questions that sometimes only a native speaker can answer correctly - or provide the proper context/historical background. You needn't be restricted to this thread that you started; we could use all the help we can get from generous Thai contributors.

Cheers.

Thanks, Kroo Ae. I would also like to invite you (if you wish), to participate in other threads where we have questions that sometimes only a native speaker can answer correctly - or provide the proper context/historical background. You needn't be restricted to this thread that you started; we could use all the help we can get from generous Thai contributors.

Cheers.

Dear Mangkorn,

Thank you for your invitation, It's nice of you. I am appreciate joining and helping you with Thai Language in other threads. But what is the name of the thread then?

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae

My Thai Language School

Welcome to the family Khroo Ae... btw is your name เอ เอ๋ เอ้ แอร์ แอ้ or something else??

Here's one -

We have the word

ธรรม from धर्म 'Dharma'

In Thai we have the word popping up in a number of common words:

ธรรมชาติ

ธรรมะ

ธรรมกาย

ธรรมการ

ธรรมการย์

ธรรมดา

ธรรมคุณ

ธรรมจรรยา

and so on....

In all of these, the compound र 'r' and म 'm' from sanskrit are realised in Thai as -รรม and pronounced -ำ

WHY THEN does the word กรมธรรม์ use the ์ 'karan' over the 'm'.... or the question might be rephrased

WHY is the ธรรม in กรมธรรม์ pronounced 'kromatan' as opposed to all of the other words deriving from धर्म that get pronounced 'ทำ'

I have lost many nights sleep over this question over the years :o

Mangkorn said "other threads", meaning any/every thread. It was a general invitation to give your opinion wherever you like! :o

Dear Rikker

Oh!! I see, sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought that you will have a new thread in different forum :D

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae

Khroo Ae,

Question: What is the meaning in English of " เรื่องอะไรกันแน่"?

Dear DavidHouston,

"เรื่องอะไรกันแน่" in English is "Which topic or story is it? or What is the exactly topic or story?" It's a interrogative sentence asking when a person want to know/get the exactly or true story.

เรื่องอะไร "which topic or story is it?"

and กันเเน่ is using to emphasize the question like the word exactly.

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae

Khroo Ae,

Question: What is the meaning in English of " เรื่องอะไรกันแน่"?

Dear DavidHouston,

"เรื่องอะไรกันแน่" in English is "Which topic or story is it? or What is the exactly topic or story?" It's a interrogative sentence asking when a person want to know/get the exactly or true story.

เรื่องอะไร "which topic or story is it?"

and กันเเน่ is using to emphasize the question like the word exactly.

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae

If I had to translate it I would say something along the lines of :-

Heads down lads it's gonna kick off in a minute. :o

JJ.

Welcome to the family Khroo Ae... btw is your name เอ เอ๋ เอ้ แอร์ แอ้ or something else??

Here's one -

We have the word

ธรรม from धर्म 'Dharma'

In Thai we have the word popping up in a number of common words:

ธรรมชาติ

ธรรมะ

ธรรมกาย

ธรรมการ

ธรรมการย์

ธรรมดา

ธรรมคุณ

ธรรมจรรยา

and so on....

In all of these, the compound र 'r' and म 'm' from sanskrit are realised in Thai as -รรม and pronounced -ำ

WHY THEN does the word กรมธรรม์ use the ์ 'karan' over the 'm'.... or the question might be rephrased

WHY is the ธรรม in กรมธรรม์ pronounced 'kromatan' as opposed to all of the other words deriving from धर्म that get pronounced 'ทำ'

I have lost many nights sleep over this question over the years :o

Dear Jay_Jay,

Thank you for your warm welcome, I am deeply appreciate. For my name is Ae (เอ), Is it easy to pronounce? :D

From your question the word ธรรม pronounce "tham/ dham" and words that you mentioned earlier, all of them pronounce tham/dham

รร ( ror-han) when it is in medial position between two alphabets like "ธรรมชาติ" we pronounce tham(ธรรม with ม ) tham-ma-chaad

"สรรพคุณ" sab (สรรพ with พ) sab-pa-kun

But when ธรรม์ with gaa-ran, it makes the lettter which appear under it become silent. It is used above the consonant but has no sound. That's mean when you see Thai word with gaa-ran, think about there's no sound for example

ภาพยนตร์ (film) pronounce "pab-pa-yon"-----ตร์ has no sound

อาจารย์ (teacher) pronounce "aa-jaan" ------ย์ has no sound

I hope my helping will make you more understanding.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Nice day,

Kroo Ae

... in other words, I'm not asking about the function of karan. I'm asking about the things that happened that led to the silencing of ม in this word - as it doesn't fall into the standard pattern of र्म --> -รรม --> /ʌm/

btw... my

or "so what the !@#$! is going on here?!!"

response above was in response to "เป็นอะไรกันแน่"... not to ur response คุณครู :o

Edited by Jay_Jay