Bangkok’s Worldwide Identity.

PhilHarries

London has the Houses of Parliament, Paris has the Eiffel tower, New York has the Statue of Liberty, Sydney has it’s Opera House and Kuala Lumpur has the Petronas Towers.

Many cities around the world have a corporate logo or image that is instantly recognisable by people worldwide. Nations also have these images :-

Egypt has the Pyramids, Japan has Mount Fuji, China the Great Wall.

I cannot think of one single image that screams Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter, to the world. Yes sure there are plenty of images used in tourist adverts that we, as Thai-o-philes, recognise. “Oh I know that, it’s in Bangkok, I used to walk past it every day” sort of thing.

Am I wrong, is there a single image used worldwide? If so what is it?

If I am correct what image does the forum think should be adopted by TAT to provide a unified picture of Bangkok/Thailand? One that needs no words but conveys the location to all people.

Or does Bangkok/Thailand need such an iconic image as these other cities/nations?

Btw when I say “recognisable by people worldwide” I am not including remote tribes of Papua New Guinea nor the inhabitants of the barrios of Caracas. I am talking about the travelling people who are likely to go to Thailand for holidays.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we all know that sadly it is people who willingly sell themselves for sex that has made Thailand famous / infamous. A stigma which I can't see Thailand getting away from. How many times have people asked me where I live and I reply "Bangkok" only to get the raised eyebrows and knowing smile.

Sad but true.

i recall pictures of young women dancing in traditional garb, hats with sequins and shiney things, waiing on billboards whilst i was overseas. :o

apart from that, i think t-shirts with muang thai, thai writing, thai boxing, chang beer, etc, do the job quite nicely for thai tourism.

you might be right, though, there doesn't seem to be any single geographical 'icon' as such.

Phil without Googling images for Thailand the following come to my mind as Thai iconic images.

P.S. I feel for the posters who's friends and aquaintances only associate Thailand with sex.

I've PM'd you to save the thread from my reply.

The smiles.

Thailand is famous for and try to associate itself with the smiles.

Easy as that.

I know this will hurt those of you wanting to put the sex trade image on the country.

But the smile, is the symbol for the country.

:o

London has the Houses of Parliament, Paris has the Eiffel tower, New York has the Statue of Liberty, Sydney has it’s Opera House and Kuala Lumpur has the Petronas Towers.

Many cities around the world have a corporate logo or image that is instantly recognisable by people worldwide. Nations also have these images :-

Egypt has the Pyramids, Japan has Mount Fuji, China the Great Wall.

I cannot think of one single image that screams Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter, to the world. Yes sure there are plenty of images used in tourist adverts that we, as Thai-o-philes, recognise. “Oh I know that, it’s in Bangkok, I used to walk past it every day” sort of thing.

Am I wrong, is there a single image used worldwide? If so what is it?

If I am correct what image does the forum think should be adopted by TAT to provide a unified picture of Bangkok/Thailand? One that needs no words but conveys the location to all people.

Or does Bangkok/Thailand need such an iconic image as these other cities/nations?

Btw when I say “recognisable by people worldwide” I am not including remote tribes of Papua New Guinea nor the inhabitants of the barrios of Caracas. I am talking about the travelling people who are likely to go to Thailand for holidays.

When we see cartooned images of financial centres, there is 1 building from BKK that is usually there - Thai Farmer Bank (Kashikorn now) on the other side of the Chao Praya river.

But few would know what and where it is.

The closest it gets to an icon. Pity for the place 3 times Norwegian or New Zealand population.

I think of Bangkok as a hot polluted place that I would never wanna stay for too long. Hence I don't. :D

The toursist areas are full of overweight old grey haired Farang men who think they're conquistadors coming to educate the natives.

You can hardly put that image on a promotional advertisment for Thailand can you ?

Thailand is Thailand is Thailand, that's all.

If Farangland was better, we wouldn't be here.

Thailand for Thai people, the sooner you Farangs realise that, the better! :o

I think of Bangkok as a hot polluted place that I would never wanna stay for too long. Hence I don't. :D

The toursist areas are full of overweight old grey haired Farang men who think they're conquistadors coming to educate the natives.

You can hardly put that image on a promotional advertisment for Thailand can you ?

Thailand is Thailand is Thailand, that's all.

If Farangland was better, we wouldn't be here.

Thailand for Thai people, the sooner you Farangs realise that, the better! :o

I totally agree with everything you say, except for the first sentence.

I cannot think of one single image that screams Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter, to the world.

Old, grey haired Fat westerners taking advantage of their comparative wealth ?

Edited by Maigo6

I think the architectural theme in history was mostly a western thing - with notable exception of the great pyramids.

Most of the Asian architecture of note are religious buildings like Angkar Wat and the Taj Mahal. Thaland has so many temples, many which are (or were before the Burmese sacked Ayuttaya) that to pick one would be difficult. So, I think Thailand (as said) is famous not for its old buildings (though the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emeral Buddha should be IMO) but for other things.

As London is also famouse for black cabs and red buses, Thailand is for its TukTuks although they are also common in much of the rest of Asia too (India especially) and Samlors. The Thai Smile and mango fruits are also well known Thai images.

I think it might be a mistake to detract from the image of Thailand as a tropical paradise full of beautiful and friendly smiling people in favour of bricks and mortar.

I think the sex industry and drug image is unfortunate, but I think it can be lost over time. Japan was famous for cheap tat and knock offs twnety five years ago - now its know for snazzy electronics, bad karaoke and powerful business accumen.

As far as modern architectural icons go the Rama VIII Bridge takes some beating.

Japanese built, Tokyo has a dozen of them.

Really? No Thai workers or engineers involved? :o

By the way, I've seen a Discovery Channel show about the constructions of the subway and a new bridge in Thailand. Strangely, there seemed to be plenty of Thai workers/engineers at the sites, and not a single Japanese. :D

So what bought you to Thailand ?

There is your own personal answer.

What bought me? I’m guessing you meant brought you fool (or brang depending on your school of thinking)……..a dream my friend…which I’m livin’

:D LOL... :o

Spelling Police, what <deleted>.

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble

not much between despair and ecstasy

one night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble

can't be too careful with your company

I can feel the devil walking next to me

Bangkok oriental setting and the city don't know that the city is getting

the crème de la crème of the chess world

in a show with everything but Yul Brynner

time flies doesn't seem a minute

since the Tirolean spa had the chess boy in it

all change don't you know

when you play at this level there's no ordinary venus

it's Iceland or the Philippines or Hasting or or this place

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster

the bars are temples but the pearls ain't free

you'll find a god in every golden cloister

and if you're lucky then the god's a she

I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One town's very like another

when your head's down over your pieces brother

(it's a drag it's a bore it's really such a pity)

(to be looking at the board not looking at the city)

what d'ya mean you seen one crowded polluted stinking town

(tea girls warm and sweet sweet)

(some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite)

get Thai'd you're talking to a tourist whose every move's among the purest

I get my kicks above the waistline sunshine

Siam's gonna be the witness to the ultimate test of cerebral fitness

this grips me more than would a muddy old river or reclining Buddha

thank god I'm only watching the game controlling it

I don't see you guys rating

the kind of mate I'm contemplating I'd let you watch I would invite you

but the queens we use would not excite you

so you better go back to your bars your temples your massage parlors

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster

the bars are temples but the pearls ain't free

you'll find a god in every golden cloister

and if you're lucky then the god's a she

I can feel an angel sliding up to me

And back to the OP, we're looking for World Wide Identity

Paris : Arc de Triumph, Eiffel Tower, etc.

London : Big Ben, Houses of Parliament.

San Francisco : The Golden Gate

and so it goes on.

Bangkok, even the name brings Patpong to mind.

Sorry, but you may WANT tuk-tuks to provide the World Wide Identity for Bang Cock, but the little darlings around the chrome poles in Patpong have won the the competition by a long long way.

Edited by 12DrinkMore