Moving To Samui

I am looking for some honest advice with regards to life on Koh Samui. My partner and I are moving out to Samui at the end of the year through my partners job.

I am really wanting to know what crime is like and whether it is a great problem for expats. I visited Samui a few month ago and found the people to be really helpfull and friendly however, we were only there a couple of weeks and really want to know what the bigger picture of like.

I really enjoyed my time on the island and did not want to leave although there were areas of Samui that I was non too keen on but there are areas at home which i feel the same about. Are there many expats living on Samui as we both want to intergrate as fully as possible into island life?

We are both keen on learning the Thai language, is this easy to arrange once on the island and how much would we expect to pay?

Duirng my stay on Samui I did experience the 'Samui rash' and have to say that the roads and (some)drivers are mental - needless to say renting a bike will not be my preference a car I feel would be a better option. Does anyone have any info on car rental that would be much appreciated?

At present I am currently looking for work on the island. I have been working as a teacher for several years now and I am fully qualifed with degree (hons) and a PGCE. If anyone knows of any good schools or could pass on advice with regards to postitions / salaries etc that would be great?

One last question, does anyone know of any properties available for rental? Ideally we would like a two bedroom property with a pool and security, we do not want to be out in the sticks if you catch my drift.

I would really appreciate all comments and advice with regards to life on Samui.

I am really wanting to know what crime is like and whether it is a great problem for expats. I visited Samui a few month ago and found the people to be really helpfull and friendly however, we were only there a couple of weeks and really want to know what the bigger picture of like.

I came here a year ago and haven't witnessed any crime despite going out late often. Don't do stupid things and you should be OK. Don't argue too much with Thais. Don't make yourself a target. Don't loan money to a bar owner.

I really enjoyed my time on the island and did not want to leave although there were areas of Samui that I was non too keen on but there are areas at home which i feel the same about. Are there many expats living on Samui as we both want to intergrate as fully as possible into island life?

Which areas did you like? That will help in finding a place to live. There are many expats. Are you looking for a specific nationality? Age group? What kind of nightlife do you like if any?

At present I am currently looking for work on the island. I have been working as a teacher for several years now and I am fully qualifed with degree (hons) and a PGCE. If anyone knows of any good schools or could pass on advice with regards to postitions / salaries etc that would be great?

Do you have a work permit?

One last question, does anyone know of any properties available for rental? Ideally we would like a two bedroom property with a pool and security, we do not want to be out in the sticks if you catch my drift.

What price range? What part of the island?

Edited by koheesti

Thanks for you points they are really helpfull. With regards to crime its all down to common sense put yourself in the wrong situation and then your a target.

The area was not too keen on was Lami I just found also of areas a little too sleazy. I really liked the laid back atmosphere on Chaweng beach and much prefer chilled out places although we did venture around green mango area a few times and that ok depending on how many beers you have had.

In terms of expats - we would ideally like to live in an area with a mix of nationalities (with those who speak English) we are in out mid - late twenties so would really want to be around people of that age if possible.

My husbands work is taking care of visas and work permits at the minute so dont really have to worry about that hopefully.

Our max budget would be 30,000 bht per month and my husbands work is located in Bohput so any where with easy reach would be ideal.

Thanks

Thanks for you points they are really helpfull. With regards to crime its all down to common sense put yourself in the wrong situation and then your a target.

The area was not too keen on was Lami I just found also of areas a little too sleazy. I really liked the laid back atmosphere on Chaweng beach and much prefer chilled out places although we did venture around green mango area a few times and that ok depending on how many beers you have had.

In terms of expats - we would ideally like to live in an area with a mix of nationalities (with those who speak English) we are in out mid - late twenties so would really want to be around people of that age if possible.

My husbands work is taking care of visas and work permits at the minute so dont really have to worry about that hopefully.

Our max budget would be 30,000 bht per month and my husbands work is located in Bohput so any where with easy reach would be ideal.

Thanks

your husband's job here is "taking care of visas and work permits"? :o ...Thai visas and work permits? :D ...so why are you asking us about Thailand if your husband is a Thai lawyer? :D

Are there many expats living on Samui as we both want to intergrate as fully as possible into island life?

this is thailand, if you wanna be integrated it's with its population not with the expats....

Are there many expats living on Samui as we both want to intergrate as fully as possible into island life?

this is thailand, if you wanna be integrated it's with its population not with the expats....

Just with reference to a couple of comments - firstly we would not be moving to Thailand if we did not want to experience culture and intergrate with the population. That was not really the point I was trying to make but it would be nice to be around some expats to get an idea of how things work. Obviously caused offence with that one which was not intended - I created this blog simply for advice !

Secondly for the person who enquired about my husband he is not a Thai lawyer - unless you know something I dont?

:o

Thanks

your husband's job here is "taking care of visas and work permits"? :D ...Thai visas and work permits? :D ...so why are you asking us about Thailand if your husband is a Thai lawyer? :D

The Poster didn't mean it like that did she ??

The Poster meant that her Husbands Work ( IE Company ) is taking care of his Work Permits etc at the minute so they don't have to worry about that.. :o

Unreal some of the Posters on this Forum..

Creepy, you'll be fine, very limited actual Crime like you would know it ( i assume by your writing your English living in England ?? ), Accomodation is easy to find & available for all different kinds of Budgets, Cars can be rented for as little as 10 GBP per day..

Yes there'e plenty of Ex Pats, of lots of nationalities.

Bophut is where you want to be judging by what you've written so far, Google it & have a little look about on write up's etc on it & i'll bet you 20 THB that you'll fall in love wioth the Fisherman's Village..:D

Good luck..

Hi Creepy,

As M Singh has mentioned, Bophut seems like the best place for you.Close to your husbamd's work & out of the hustle & bustle of Chaweng.

With the type of budget you are allowing for rent,can you be more precise of your requirements eg: 2...3 beds etc.You can search through the forum for recomended estate agents or PM me & I'll try to give a couple of names.

As for teaching jobs,there is about 3 private schools on Samui ,maybe a direct contact with them might help.They are mentioned here on the forum, Open Gates, Blue Waters & another one sorry name escapes me.

Besides meeting other people through normal every day activities, you can also get in contact with SOS ( sisters of Samui) which have a lunch every month , or Expats club whih do the same.

As for learning Thai, several ways :o through daily contact & books & tapes, or at a school such as Mind Your Language (in Bophut by the way), which offer different courses.

Good luck.

Edited by Rooo

Hi Creepy.

I have lived here for 14 years and never a problem with crime or criminals.

No house break-ins. No fights. No trubbles with locals.

I reckon Samui is tops, best place I have ever lived in and I've lived in several countries.

The locals are a funny bunch, treat them with care and they won't bite you. Much. Little nibble here and there's all. :o

Plenty expats here, jeez the island is crawling with 'em.

Plenty social clubs too as pointed out in other posts here.

Good idea to forget the tiny motorcycle and go rent a jeep, you can still get them for 500 to 600 Baht a day here, same price I paid 12 years ago!

Agree with other posters too, Bophut sounds like the area you want to live in. Keep it close to work so to minimise the time you spend on the road, the traffic has become very heavy lately, last few years...

For sure with a 30,000 Baht budget you will get something pretty good. Not sure about a pool in that price range if you want a real house with 2 or 3 bedrooms, having a pool as well may jack the rent up over 30K. Best you get here, get some temp lodgings and go check out some houses yourself.

Good luck, enjoy.

Many thanks to the last 3 posters, you have given me some sound advice. Bohput seems like a really chilled area incomparison to the other parts and is also quite near to some of the International schools.

Once on the island it would be good to attend one those expats events it would be a great way of meeting people.

We have been checking out some housing and have found a couple places and have decided to arrange some temp digs until we get settled and find some where else.

I also like the sound of a jeep especially on those roads so I will check that out.

Thanks again for the info.

Creepy

if you wanna go to bophut and have a swimming pool(communal) in nice individual houses, you might consider M house place, internet is available by wifi there also.

it's on the airport mainroad, if intersted PM me i'll give you the phone number of the girl so you can make a direct connection with her instead of using sawadee or any other site that take a commission.

Thanks

your husband's job here is "taking care of visas and work permits"? :o ...Thai visas and work permits? :D ...so why are you asking us about Thailand if your husband is a Thai lawyer? :D

I hope you have misunderstood what the O/P has said, when she said " My Husbands work is taking care of visas and work permits etc" I took it to mean that her husbands company was dealing wth the visa/work permit matters.

roy gsd

When picking out a place to live it would be nice to know if it floods or not during the rainy season. When I first came here I lived off the Lake Road and almost rented a place on the Ghost Road before settling for a place in Bangrak along the beach. I was lucky. 6 weeks after I got here the first two places were underwater and where I am now it hasn't flooded yet.

Edited by koheesti

When picking out a place to live it would be nice to know if it floods or not during the rainy season. When I first came here I lived off the Lake Road and almost rented a place on the Ghost Road before settling for a place in Bangrak along the beach. I was lucky. 6 weeks after I got here the first two places were underwater and where I am now it hasn't flooded yet.

Good shout Koheesti, that's something you certainly need to keep in mind, especially with at this time of year..

Good shout Koheesti, that's something you certainly need to keep in mind, especially with at this time of year..

Yes, big issue here.

You don't want to have one meter of water in your living room.

When you find a place you like, make a post here and we can tell you if you can get to work or not.

Just hope its not another real estate agent making their way here to earn a crust...

Well if they do, let's hope Creepy is smart enough, as i'm sure she is, to ask for a bit of advice from us here on the Forum as even though we sometimes have different views & opinions, that's what we're here for, to help others..