We Did It! Moved To Thailand .....

loubrockbank

just thought id share my excitment after loads of time talking about moving here we have at last done it.

as id mentioned before we thought we would spend a night in bangkok once we landed and then hire a car and take a road trip down to phuket where we will stay.

bangkok was a nightmare unfortuantly, hired a car with thai rent a car, no map was available or sat nav like we ordered, had to wait an hour before someone met us and then got the wrong car, but we were just too excited and maybe niave, to let it get to us.

really wish we hadnt drove into bkk, we could not for the life of us find our hotel and spent about 2 hours trying to find it (courtyard by marriot) after getting fined by traffic police and asking loads of people for directions,we decided i would jump in a tuktuk and dan wold follow us in the car....

unfortuantly we were taken to another marriot (the spa) we were so tired by this point (as we had landed from the uk hours before) we just stayed there.

so really wasnt a great start..could have been avoided but we have learnt the hard way i suppose :D

we left the next morning around 8am...and again couldnt get out of BKK to the expressway ...yes we r plonkers. 2 hours later we found out how to get on the bloody road :o

from then it was great ....really easy to get to phuket and some nice sights along the way...and only one more police incident so not too bad. traffic wasnt to bad either so we could get up to decent speed along the way.

allthough we did alot of reading and researching b4 we came nothing really prepared us, so dont think we would do such a long road trip in a hurry.

now we just need to explore phuket and find somewhere to live, we like the nai harn and surin so far so any suggestions of nice areas would be great and also get ourselves a bike..and start to forget about the cold weather back home :D

Well hello and good luck!

Presumably you have enough cash to avoid working as an English teacher, we need to maintain standards over here, you know. I can also recommend that you avoid getting involved in bars, internet cafes and hotels, or, indeed, any business in Thailand, as most fail and loose money.

Oh well, enjoy the honeymoon and hope you have a success here!

Yeah, I'm a jaded old git, who has experienced much to keep up the optimism of making money in Thailand. Somehow I doubt whether even our star Bill "the pizza" Heinecke could make a success here today. He would have been kicked out for illegally working as a cleaner long ago.

Just think, one day you maybe as bitter, twisted and cynical as many posters on ThaiVisa if you last in Thailand over 10 years.

I look forward to your posts. :o

It's not just the OP that is moving into new territory - This is new ground for you too Maigo, there is not even the slightest suggestion that the OP is going to become bitter, twisted and cynical but you seem primed and ready for it.....

Has it occurred that it might be yourself that is bitter twisted and cynical .... the evidence here suggests you might be?!

Just think, one day you maybe as bitter, twisted and cynical as many posters on ThaiVisa if you last in Thailand over 10 years.

I look forward to your posts. :o

It's not just the OP that is moving into new territory - This is new ground for you too Maigo, there is not even the slightest suggestion that the OP is going to become bitter, twisted and cynical but you seem primed and ready for it.....

Has it occurred that it might be yourself that is bitter twisted and cynical .... the evidence here suggests you might be?!

GuestHouse, welcome...

Why would living in Thailand be new ground for me ? Lived in Thailand since 1990.....

Me , bitter twisted and cynical about Thailand ?

Ummm, I don't think so...... In fact quite the opposite.

The evidence ? LOL, try again.

I would think that you had more in common with the OP than I, in fact you have less in common with them, as they now actually live in Thailand, and you live in the desert.

Oh well.... :D

Wheres my Gift!! :o

sorry had to pay an extra 40 pound excess baggage all gifts had to be left will remeber you when we need to go back to

UK next year :D

welcome to Phuket, dont forget there is a massive expat party at cayote in Patong Friday night :D

didnt realize there was one ..but thanks we will pop down and check it out as we havnt had a chance to go out yet really, i assume all details are somewhere in the forum?

haha no we will be staying away from bar businesses etc, wouldnt have a clue where to start, will just stick to poppin in for a drink and something to eat.