Give Me Some Car Ideas....something Sporty

CarlBkk

I'd like to buy something a little different from the norm over here in Bangkok, something that looks good, has some power, but also has back seats big enough for a child seat. Convertible would be nice. Can anyone give me a list of cars they've seen that may fit the bill? Budget is really 1.5m but could stretch to 2m.

At the moment I'm thinking of Lotus Elan (no back seats though I think) or Boxster but there must be more.

or Boxster

3 ml up

Sporty cars for 1.5-2 ml is Honda Integra or Civic Type R, Evo 8-9, Impreza WRX and most of them is not original.

Good suggestions Grant.

Only other idea I had was an Alfa Romeo. Surprised if you could get a Boxter or Lotus that cheap (I don't know, just sounds like not enough dosh)

Dave

For that budget I'd buy the cheaper version of Honda Civic (745k baht new) and spend another 400-500k for modifications as new brake system, suspension, wheels, interior, body kit and few works with engine.

It's even less than 1.5 m

Edited by Grant

Would not buy a Lotus or Porche over here as the mechanics are not that good, spare parts are insanley expensive and hard to get.

Get yourself a BMW 330 or M3 (second hand).

Well what do I know, I drive a nice little jazz.

Ohh... If you want a fast car, buy yourself a Nissan, buy a new engine, modify and buy lots of extras and then you will have a car that you have built and it should be sporty.

Porche are for posers and I don't think 2m. is enough for a good one.

For that budget I'd buy the cheaper version of Honda Civic (745k baht new) and spend another 400-500k for modifications as new brake system, suspension, wheels, interior, body kit and few works with engine.

Honda Civic is not a Sporty Car. It's a Famaily Car. I think the poster look for a 2 door car. If convertible, need to be a 2 door car.

the cheapest boxsters are 3 million+ those are the 97/98 ones, lotus you might find an Esprit below 2 mio (check www.one2car.com) .

earlier remark about mecahnics not knowing about porsches seems a bit biased, Porsche bangkok techies regularly win awards in global porsche competitions and do great jobs. parts are not much more expensive then in Europe, yes expensive compared to local toyota parts but hey.... We're posers anyway....

H

An rx-8? those things are like 40k USD used, all that for a car that had to be recalled for being under rated on power. Who cares about 50-50 weight ration then? :D

As others have suggested, any srdet20 powered nissan or a Toyota mr2 turbo would be nice, t-tops, RWD, capable of 400rwhp and mid engined with good weight ration :o

Hey Grant. 8 million baht divided by 33 baht to 1 USD = $242,424.00

Quite a lot of money. Quite a lot more than I would be willing to pay for a 3 series.

Are you really sure of your facts?

in USA they run about $65,000.00

Sorry, not 8 m

Current price is THB10,299,000 for M3 Coupe and THB15,000,000 for M5

$65,000 = THB2,200,000

318SE cost THB2,399,000

I'd like to buy something a little different from the norm over here in Bangkok, something that looks good, has some power, but also has back seats big enough for a child seat. Convertible would be nice. Can anyone give me a list of cars they've seen that may fit the bill? Budget is really 1.5m but could stretch to 2m.

At the moment I'm thinking of Lotus Elan (no back seats though I think) or Boxster but there must be more.

Hi Carl,

Elans are under your budget (and too old) and Boxsters are over, even for an early model. In that price range I'd look at:

Mitsubishi Evo - 4 seats, reliable, fast, street cred but used versions can be abused, also check the title (many are converted Lancers)

Toyota Supra - very fun, fast, can fit a kid in the back (that's about all), good service from TRD, but getting old and some junkers out there

BMW 3-Series - good image, reliable, can be quick with larger engine, but repairs can be expensive and beware of depreciation

Peugeot 206 - relatively rare, cute, fun, convertible, 4-seats, great gas mileage, and can buy new in your budget, but limited service and... it's French

Benz SLK - great image, but only 2 seats and budget can only afford previous model which is a bit of a hairdresser car

Mazda RX8 - relatively inexpensive and rare, looks good, has useable back seats, reliable, but eats more fuel than one might think

Mini - economical, fun, useable, great image in thailand, but is expensive compared with other countries

I've had both a Supra and 3-series. Were it my money I'd go for the RX-8 as it's hard to find a good Evo and the Supras are very high maintenance. I like the Mini but to me it's more of a chick car and I get get over paying a huge multiple to drive it in Thailand. I rented a Peugeot recently and it was very fun but in Thailand I imagine the opportunity to run it with the top down wouldn't be very much.

Depends what you value in terms of comfort, image, and speed. If you add another 2m to your budget then things become a lot more interesting!

- Crash

Edited by Crash999

Sorry, not 8 m

Current price is THB10,299,000 for M3 Coupe and THB15,000,000 for M5

$65,000 = THB2,200,000

318SE cost THB2,399,000

Hi Grant. I have been doing a little bit of research. Your numbers look great.

A M3 in USA is $65,000 new. Thailand would add 300% tax onto it & you DO come up with over 10 mil. baht.

A Porche 911 Turbo used to be 16 million baht here. They are selling new on ebay for $165,000.00

So that should cost you 20 million baht. 22 million.

You have the magazine, Sorry I don't.

Sent the OP an ad for a 3301 @ 1.3 mil.

Edited by dotcom

Thanks everyone for the input - I've got a shortlist from that lot. I'll have a look at some RX8s, Nissan 300ZX and BMW 3 series for sure. Shame about the Boxters being so expensive, but I have always wanted an Esprit (despite their poor reliability rep).

Thanks also to dotcom for the ad....it looks good!

Crash, so what would an extra 2m give me do you think? I'm just curious...because spending 4m on a car here seems ludicrous to me. I just don't want to even think about comparing it to what the same money will buy me back in the UK, but that's a whole new topic. When I read the prices of new M3s and 911s here I am bowled over by how wealthy so many people must be in this city. To cap it I saw a very young-looking student girl driving a brand new Jaguar on Petchburi the other day. Amazing Thailand.

Thanks everyone for the input - I've got a shortlist from that lot. I'll have a look at some RX8s, Nissan 300ZX and BMW 3 series for sure. Shame about the Boxters being so expensive, but I have always wanted an Esprit (despite their poor reliability rep).

Thanks also to dotcom for the ad....it looks good!

Crash, so what would an extra 2m give me do you think? I'm just curious...because spending 4m on a car here seems ludicrous to me. I just don't want to even think about comparing it to what the same money will buy me back in the UK, but that's a whole new topic. When I read the prices of new M3s and 911s here I am bowled over by how wealthy so many people must be in this city. To cap it I saw a very young-looking student girl driving a brand new Jaguar on Petchburi the other day. Amazing Thailand.

Hi CarlBKK

What about this nice convertible and a full 4 seater :o

TBWG :D

Nissan R34, S15, etc.

Parts abundant.

Hi Carl,

With another 2m (actually less) I'd look at a 350z, newer SLK, or a Boxster- all used. Between the three I'd go for a nice SLK as it wouldn't be hard to get servicing, is a nice drive, and of course in Thailand it's held in very high esteem so shouldn't be too difficult to sell. I wouldn't look at any of the bigger-engined BMWs or Benzes at that price as there's a steep depreciation drop- one just doesn't get credit for the engine.

A less orthodox choice could be a used NSX for about 3m, though there aren't many in the country and although they're reliable I wouldn't know where to get good servicing. Also you can get into good Lotus Elises but given Bangkok's traffic they might not be the nicest driving experience.

- Crash

Honda Civic is not a Sporty Car. It's a Famaily Car. I think the poster look for a 2 door car. If convertible, need to be a 2 door car.

I agree with Grant and had had similar thoughts myself. Agreed the standard Civic is a family car but it has the dynamics to be a very sporty ride especially if you take the base model with manual transmission. If you spend some money up the the 2m budget you could build yourself something approaching: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/01/mugen...ncept-with.html with the advantage of it being a new car.

I drive an S2000 (in Dubai) which is possibly an alternative although it's a 2 seater only, but fantastic fun.

Having worked at a Lotus dealer in the UK I'd say to contemplate running an aged Lotus in Thailand would be a case of heart over head and you gotta need your head examined.