Hit And Run By Yet Another Road Virus.

Tony Clifton

So some idiot is dangerous driving, cuts you up damaging your car then speeds on and people are saying "oh leave it, have a few beers and chill out". Ok wife and kids are in the car so chasing him down and running to his door are not an option, but definitely taking his plate number is. The police MAY do something and it's worth trying. Near any policeboxes? Surely they'll send a motorbike out. If the police are feeling lazy about it the first thing I'd do is call around any friends I know who have contacts in the force and give them the plate number directly to act on it (if they can/will). Letting the chap get off scot-free without a hint of hassle is like saying "ok mate you win, you can do it again to someone else now and nothing will happen".

So some idiot is dangerous driving, cuts you up damaging your car then speeds on and people are saying "oh leave it, have a few beers and chill out". Ok wife and kids are in the car so chasing him down and running to his door are not an option, but definitely taking his plate number is. The police MAY do something and it's worth trying. Near any policeboxes? Surely they'll send a motorbike out. If the police are feeling lazy about it the first thing I'd do is call around any friends I know who have contacts in the force and give them the plate number directly to act on it (if they can/will). Letting the chap get off scot-free without a hint of hassle is like saying "ok mate you win, you can do it again to someone else now and nothing will happen".

Exactly.

Also, this was not some wild car chase, when I say I sped up, I did not drive like a madman, I accelerated once I passed the busy Army base entrance at the top of the hill and the traffic light is 300 meters around the bend and down the hill. Never did I put anyone's life in danger there. When I reached him at the on-ramp to Bypass road, he dove into us even before we reached Bypass road, I pulled over to the external road that follows it all along. Chasing him on the highway would have been irresponsible.

No police booths in that area.

Last time I went to a police station to report my passport lost (an obligation to get police report), the officer accused my wife of destroying it. :o We're out of here in a month anyway, I don't want to get involved with the police here. Even if you were to know one of them doesn't mean another one won't spot you try and screw you somehow to fix his gambling debts. Exactly the kind of people I was told to avoid in life, why should I run to them for help?

Someone previously mentioned it was an intentional hit because of my posting history, very possible in Thailand but definitely not the case here. The guy had pails and pinting equipment in the back of his pick-up truck, probably another yaba addict, his behaviour seemd to indicate that anyway.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Chasing him on the highway would have been irresponsible.[/u]

No police booths in that area.

Last time I went to a police station to report my passport lost (an obligation to get police report), the officer accused my wife of destroying it. :o We're out of here in a month anyway, I don't want to get involved with the police here. Even if you were to know one of them doesn't mean another one won't spot you try and screw you somehow to fix his gambling debts. Exactly the kind of people I was told to avoid in life, why should I run to them for help?

Someone previously mentioned it was an intentional hit because of my posting history, very possible in Thailand but definitely not the case here. The guy had pails and pinting equipment in the back of his pick-up truck, probably another yaba addict, his behaviour seemd to indicate that anyway.

Yes that was my initial thought,the populace in the south seem to be fully worked up at the moment with the encumbent govt.

Probably a good thing it was only a yaa baa'd local.The end result may have been may have been a lot worse if it politically motivated.

Have fun in the UK..if that is possible?

Well Tony, I sympathize. Some idiot trying to prove he's the big man on the street puts your families safety in jeapordy for no possible gain. Of course your gonna try to figure out how to make him pay. In a perfect scenario you would have caught him, forced him off the road, and used martial arts to turn him into hamburger in front of his girlfriend and then you kick his sorry hind into the muddy ditch and toss his keys into the middle of the motorway. But there is no perfect scenario here, no justice, just a broken system of protectionism and corruption. There is nothing you can do without making it all worse. I think you will be very pleased with your decision to go. Once you know you have to leave, everything just seems worse. This is a country with serious problems and no plan.

I sympathize. A month ago, some nimrod pulled out on me and grazed my wing, then sped off. Normally, I wouldn't make too much of it, but for some reason, I went after him and made him pull over on the hard shoulder. My new best mate (shit-eating grin, and apologies) doesn't have any insurance for his pickup full of scrap metal, but pulls out 3 grand from his pocket, and gives it to me for the damage to my wing. Result!

Not recommended as a general rule for accidents like this, as he could have just as easily pulled a weapon on me. But occasionally, its nice to "win" one. Sort of... :o

So your driving outside lane at 60kph and the inside lane you say is full of slow moving objects when you see this truck pull up behind in the rear mirrors ,then you see him get agitated in the mirrors still doing 60kph then he pulls alongside of you at 60kph(but you don't say right or left),so you have vision ahead to see any obsticles left lane or oncoming that might cause him to pull in sharply and you are still doing 60kph and he passes to a point that when he does hits your front bumper and wing(fender) and you say he cut back in on purpose why didn't you use the BRAKE pedal, the distance from the front of his bonnet(hood)to his rear quarter wing(fender)is about 4.5 mtr, unless you didn't see him but you had in your mirrors with enough time to assess he was angry?

I think you have taken living in Thailand too far and addopted the Thai driving style of not being able to see what could/can/is happening around you, also your spherical vision may need checking.

my tought exactly

OP is the equivalent of an asian woman in other countries.

Op has no idea of his surrouding, op has no idea how car speed works. OP probably press the accelerator.. hits 70, starts breaking to go back down to 60, rinse and repeat. OP has no side mirrors

"I dont drive like Thais" You should then you'd blend in and wouldn't have this problem.

"Don't use brake pedal when somebody swerves into you" Comunication problem somewhere

Blending in and driving like Thais are two totally different approaches.

You don't know what you're talking about.

So your driving outside lane at 60kph and the inside lane you say is full of slow moving objects when you see this truck pull up behind in the rear mirrors ,then you see him get agitated in the mirrors still doing 60kph then he pulls alongside of you at 60kph(but you don't say right or left),so you have vision ahead to see any obsticles left lane or oncoming that might cause him to pull in sharply and you are still doing 60kph and he passes to a point that when he does hits your front bumper and wing(fender) and you say he cut back in on purpose why didn't you use the BRAKE pedal, the distance from the front of his bonnet(hood)to his rear quarter wing(fender)is about 4.5 mtr, unless you didn't see him but you had in your mirrors with enough time to assess he was angry?

I think you have taken living in Thailand too far and addopted the Thai driving style of not being able to see what could/can/is happening around you, also your spherical vision may need checking.

my tought exactly

OP is the equivalent of an asian woman in other countries.

Op has no idea of his surrouding, op has no idea how car speed works. OP probably press the accelerator.. hits 70, starts breaking to go back down to 60, rinse and repeat. OP has no side mirrors

Posters have no idea who OP is , never even met him, even less driven around with him. <deleted> do they know? Are they even aware I've driven a truck, car and motorcycle here for 5 years without a scratch?

Posters are in denial or immediately push aside the obvious and deadly mess Thai roads are with no effective law enforcement , some of the most dangerous in the world but immediately blame an unknown person.

OP has driven motorcycles, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, 5 and 10 ton trucks for a living for 5 years without a single accident, tour bus, a Winnebago and pick-up trucks with trailers behind, backing up anywhere without a problem using mirrors only.

Edited by Tony Clifton