Trains To Stop Nationwide As SRT Unionists Join Protest

george

Trains to stop nationwide as SRT unionists join protest

BANGKOK: -- Train services are expected to come to a halt tomorrow morning as part of the protests against the government by employees of the State Railway Authority.

A 45-year-old SRT worker in Nakhon Si Thammarat said the unionists have coordinated with SRT workers nationwide to carry out the civil disobedience against the government.

He said officials in charge of train services, such as drivers and engineers have submitted their leaves since Thursday.

He said trains that leave main stations will stop at the first sub-station, and thus will block all the routes and paralyze the services nationwide.

-- The Nation 2008-08-28

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partial train service stoppage begins

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) announced that it will stop providing northern and northeastern rail services, starting 12am Friday. It claimed that its employees are not ready to work, causing disruption among commuters.

The chairman of the SRT’s labour union in Nakhon Ratchasima province, Sathorn Sinpru, said almost 100 engine drivers, usherettes and repairmen have taken a sick leave for at least two days, reasoning that they are not happy with their work. He said if they are still not ready to work after two days, the suspension could prolong as their performance could cause dangers.

According to reports, members of the SRT’s labour union took part in the mass rally led by the anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) at the Government House. The reason behind the SRT’s halt of operation could be the government’s provision of free transport for the protesters who wish to return home.

So far, five trains routing from Bangkok to Northeastern provinces have already suspended the operations since Thursday evening, deputy governor of the SRT Thawin Sarmnakorn said in a television interview on Thursday night.

Mr Thawin said he has ordered substitutes to replace the staff who have taken leave, but the number of the substitutes is inadequate for all the services to fully operate.

He added that he plans to hold talk with SRT staff on Friday to prevent the suspension of train services in other regions.

The discontinuation of rail services will likely affect more than a thousand people in Ayutthaya who come to work in Bangkok every morning.

Latest reports say train services from Taphan Hin in Pichit will be halted starting 5am Friday.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-08-28

cool more madness and mayhem. Thailand has been like a hamster on a wheel going nowhere in the last four years thanks to the political situation. If it keeps up, it will go the way of the Philippines, a decaying country with little hope of making any progress. It's too bad. Siam has a lot going for it, but what's been going on with Thaksin, the coup-makers, the junta, the PAD and Samak, well it's just one bad joke after another.

long live Thailand's mob rule. and if PAD's wish will come true, thailand will soon be the Democratic People's Republic of Thailand.

When do people understand that these people are Chinese. They have overstayed their welcome and should go back to China where they have all the rights to demonstrate and storm TV stations.

Railway employees to strike from Friday

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- More than 100 employees of the State Railways of Thailand or SRT in Nakorn Ratchasima province said they would take sick leave for three days starting Friday, along with other employees nationwide, according to a regional SRT Union member.

The work stoppage will affect but not cancel train services between Bangkok and northeastern destinations from Friday onward.

According to a statement from the Union, it was calling for SRT employees in Bangkok to join the strike, to demand better welfare and to express their sympathy towards anti-government protestors occupying the Government House compound in Bangkok.

The statement also asked people in Bangkok not to take the trains operating on the northeastern routes as the services might be stranded due to the staff absence.

Meawhile, Tawil Samnakorn, SRT Deputy Governor, was to call an urgent meeting to tackle the problem. Passengers who became stranded would receive a fare refund.

-- TNA 2008-08-28

When do people understand that these people are Chinese. They have overstayed their welcome and should go back to China where they have all the rights to demonstrate and storm TV stations.

The train drivers?

Edited by KhaoNiaw

cool more madness and mayhem. Thailand has been like a hamster on a wheel going nowhere in the last four years thanks to the political situation. If it keeps up, it will go the way of the Philippines, a decaying country with little hope of making any progress. It's too bad. Siam has a lot going for it, but what's been going on with Thaksin, the coup-makers, the junta, the PAD and Samak, well it's just one bad joke after another.

Let's make it the last 3 year. That is what you get if you do not recognize democratic processes. If you are a sore loser and you keep on losing elections than it seems in Thailand, it is fine to take what you want. Thai people are sometimes like little children. If you read between the lines, 100 drivers seem to be able to halt the railway services simply because they refuse to remove the trains from the tracks in stations. It has nothing to do with civil disobedience but with creating Mayhem. Let;s see if Prem cs will start paying their salaries next week. Not getting paid hurts. And I wonder if all those hundreds of thousands of other government workers who will not get paid or paid later because of the siege of the ministry of finance do love the PAD still as much.

long live Thailand's mob rule. and if PAD's wish will come true, thailand will soon be the Democratic People's Republic of Thailand.

Thaksin, Samak and consorts are, most of them anyway, also from Chinese descent!

I would like to applaud Thailand for the "King requested" soft approach to solving the cause of the current political protests in Bangkok. The fact that there may be a few disruptions to train travel is a peaceful way of Thai workers showing support for the protesters. I fervently hope that it will remain non-violent! This type of protest in some 'third world' countries, like N. Korea or the U.S.A., would have already been snuffed out by mass arrests (by brutal force if resisted, or even imagined to be resisted). Homeland Security would assure them all a place to stay for many years and America would start filling those FEMA relocation compounds close to Washington.

So, well done Thailand. Keep up the good fight for honest governance!!!

Paul

Do you have any idea who wrecker is talking about when he says 'these people'?

The Chinese, Chinese/Thai in Thailand don't demonstrate, they would pay someone else to do it for them. They are way too busy making money.

I love your user-name.

I'm sorry, but aren't Thaksin and his main cronies (Samak excepted) Chinese as well?

I would like to applaud Thailand for the "King requested" soft approach to solving the cause of the current political protests in Bangkok. The fact that there may be a few disruptions to train travel is a peaceful way of Thai workers showing support for the protesters. I fervently hope that it will remain non-violent! This type of protest in some 'third world' countries, like N. Korea or the U.S.A., would have already been snuffed out by mass arrests (by brutal force if resisted, or even imagined to be resisted). Homeland Security would assure them all a place to stay for many years and America would start filling those FEMA relocation compounds close to Washington.

Paul

Perhaps the only reason they have not attempted to remove the protester is because they cannot. In the US, they would have control over the situation if necessary. There has been much larger marches and protests that 30,00 in the US. It sounds as if you guys over there are just out of control and no-one is really sure what to do because no one is sure as to what outcome will result from any of the potential paths that may be taken.

Paul

Mass arrest? FEMA compounds? Whoaaaa. Been in the Yaa Baa again?

Anarchy is not democracy. The people voted.

Mob rules and the stupid support it.

People's votes were partly bought with the help of currency and personal threats. Definately not free and independant, no discussions there. The middle class is on the street and they did work their asses off to get there and now, to the demonstrations. Call me stupid, I am not a Thai but a long time resident and they've got my full support for their causes and believes.

Wrecker & all farang simpletons who think the easy & obvious solution is to 'send all the chinese back to china..'

FYI the Chinese have been imigrating to Thailand since the 1400's, they are far more intigrated and widespread than

any imigrant ethnic group in America or England. Chinese soldiers have spilled their blood here in mass in effort to ward off Burmese forces since the 1700's. What have YOU done for Thailand lately?

Why dont you go tell all the Italian Americans who have only been arriving in North America since the early 1900's to go back to Italy.

You got that right, skooldaze!

I am totalling in favor of free speech and protest -- but shutting down the trains is a bit "OVER" the top! What's next? get the military out on the streets? hmmm... these are more than interesting... I just hope no one starts with real violence and comes unglued...

:o

You got that right, skooldaze!

I am totalling in favor of free speech and protest -- but shutting down the trains is a bit "OVER" the top! What's next? get the military out on the streets? hmmm... these are more than interesting... I just hope no one starts with real violence and comes unglued...

:D

Not over the top but the next sign that not only 'Bangkok People' have a problem with the current government, installed to get Taksin somehow back to power. Or, does anybody still think PPP is not the the former TRT waiting for their leader, after changing the constitution again and finally being free of all corruption charges? Definately good for Man City, they need the money he promised. :o

Let's make it the last 3 year. That is what you get if you do not recognize democratic processes. If you are a sore loser and you keep on losing elections than it seems in Thailand, it is fine to take what you want. Thai people are sometimes like little children. If you read between the lines, 100 drivers seem to be able to halt the railway services simply because they refuse to remove the trains from the tracks in stations. It has nothing to do with civil disobedience but with creating Mayhem. Let;s see if Prem cs will start paying their salaries next week. Not getting paid hurts. And I wonder if all those hundreds of thousands of other government workers who will not get paid or paid later because of the siege of the ministry of finance do love the PAD still as much.

Prem does not need to pay salaries as they will still get them as two days sick is within govt. laws for sick pay without sick note from a doctor. Maybe you should read up on Thai employment law before sprouting your great words of wisdom?????

Wrecker & all farang simpletons who think the easy & obvious solution is to 'send all the chinese back to china..'

FYI the Chinese have been imigrating to Thailand since the 1400's, they are far more intigrated and widespread than

any imigrant ethnic group in America or England. Chinese soldiers have spilled their blood here in mass in effort to ward off Burmese forces since the 1700's. What have YOU done for Thailand lately?

Why dont you go tell all the Italian Americans who have only been arriving in North America since the early 1900's to go back to Italy.

i agree, what a ridiculously ignorant statement for 'wrecker' to make.... he sounds like any of the poorly educated British racists who spout this kind of drivel when they have nothing of any substance to offer. If anything, people of his ilk have long overstayed their welcome, not only in Thailand but globally. Educate yourself! And show some respect.

Edited by sbk

That's a welcome development - not because suspending rail services is such a great idea - but to remind Samak that he can't just sit it out. So far he seems to be very comfortable and doesn't want to take any responsibility for pissing off the people. It's all like a joke for him.

To the poster who said "People voted" - you can say it with any finality only AFTER the court cases against PPP, Chart Thai, and Matchima are settled. The way it works, with reliance on judicial system to clear up the mess, it will take MORE THAT A YEAR to settle the elections. And guess what, if PPP is dissolved, they'd have to call the new one 'cos half the paralement will be empty.

And, if PPP is dissolved, would it make all their decrees and decisions illegitimate? Maybe not for the legal point of view, but in people's eyes - sure.

Instead of saying Chinese let's say Rich. I have no problem with people working hard and making an honest buck. I do have a problem when a so-called democratic system that allows the rich to control all aspects of government. Most importantly taxation and the fair distribution of public funds. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that little is earmarked for education and lack of education is the main way to keep the rich rich and the poor poor. When you have such great disparity in wealth you than have a system that allows the rich to keep control of elections through buying votes or buying those with influence of large blocks of votes.

So if you agree with the above who really represents the true democratic process in Thailand ? I would say it's the small Thai middle class. If this is who is demonstrating now than power to them and the democratic process. If on the other hand these are paid for demonstrators, well unfortunately it's just a continuation of a corrupt and flawed system.

Funny they didn't have all these protests last year when the military was screwing the country.

Now these people want a military dictatorship back in power again. Maybe they should take a look at Burma.

I believe the vast majority of strikers and protesters are simply misguided pawns, blinded by "Thaksin-paranoia" being propagated by an opposing elite class which wouldn't have a hope in Hades of gaining control under a democratic system.

If PAD are allowed to succeed this time it will certainly be the death of a true emerging democracy in Thailand.

Paul

Trying to compare the democracy in the USA to what goes on in N. Korea ?? Oh ya.....the yaa baa's gettin stronger by the day!!!

The thing is that there has not been a government in the realm elected in many years where one could say the elections were open and fair.

99% of all seats are bought and the people must learn that the successful candidates are going to want to recoup the money that they have outlayed (in buying votes) to get themselves elected.

When voting the people are only concerned about the short term benefit (receiving money for their votes) rather than the good of the country.

I will be 'light years' before the situation changes very much (if ever)

Just another case of TIT :o