Emergency!

Anybody know anything about IBAN (international bank account number) when transfering from the uk to los? Trying in vain to get some money over from an account with the Halifax. Supplied my account number and the SWIFT code with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai. Now the Halifax are saying they need the Bangkok Bank's IBAN or they can't transfer. Rang Bangkok Bank earlier and they didn't know what I was on about. Checked the website and it said I didn't need it for Int' transfers. What's going on? Is the Halifax stalling in order to make more money from my money or what?

As George says it should be sent by wire transfer (SWIFT) but these usually require a prior written agreement with your signature done in person so if you do not have such an agreement on file they may not be able to honor your request.

You could then have someone trusted do the transfer after you send to them using normal banking number transfer?

Have you signed a FAX indemnity with the Halifax?

Fax indemnity

An indemnity requested by a bank to cover the bank against loss, should it act upon instructions received on a fraudulent facsimile (fax) message.

http://www.ukbusiness.hsbc.com/public/ukbu...lossary_f.jhtml

I have a web saver with the Halifax and cannot transfer overseas with this type of account. Transfered to the ol' dears' current account and she transfered from hers. Originally gave them the SWIFT code but then they said they needed the IBAN as well...strange :o