Train To Udon Thani, Nong Khai

universe2000

I was checking the price of the train from Bangkok to Udon Thani (and on to Nong Khai). I went to the State Railway of Thailand website and seems like it would cost 1,117 baht for a first class, upper birth, one-way ticket. When I went to thaifocus.com the price about twice the amount (one-way ticket). I assume the difference is due to the handling fees, so I would just go to a station to book the ticket unless there is a more reasonable way.

Anyone have a good experience going solo on this train? I know that it takes 10 hours or so, but I thought that it might be an interesting experience (rather than just fly on a plane). And the first class room has two births so that means sharing the room with somone.

I've ridden that train several times over the last 5 or 6 years. At first, I took the first class compartment. But, about the third of fourth time, first class was full. So, I took the air-conditioned, second class sleeper. Now, I always use the second class. You have nearly as much privacy, a more comfortable berth, and a more comfortable seat. Actually, you have a little more privacy in second-class -- there are no curtains on the bunks in the first-class compartments but there are in second-class!

To my way of thinking, the first-class is not worth the extra money.

I've ridden that train several times over the last 5 or 6 years. At first, I took the first class compartment. But, about the third of fourth time, first class was full. So, I took the air-conditioned, second class sleeper. Now, I always use the second class. You have nearly as much privacy, a more comfortable berth, and a more comfortable seat. Actually, you have a little more privacy in second-class -- there are no curtains on the bunks in the first-class compartments but there are in second-class!

To my way of thinking, the first-class is not worth the extra money.

Concur.

Second-class sleeper is the way to go.

Great fun also sitting in the antiquated restaurant coach.

cheers

onzestan

Thanks for the advise.

A few more questions:

1) Any recommendation if a bottom or top berth is better. The bottom berth is larger, but not sure if the person up top has to step on the bottom berth to get to the top. From the photos, it looks like the bottom birth is nice.

2) Also, I couldn't tell if there is any bedding provided (pillow, sheet, blanket?). I heard that the air-con might be kind of cold at night.

3) I was checking the availability online and it looks like the 18th of September is booked up (first and second class). Its the only time in the month that it is booked full. Sound like a big party will be going on that night (I definitely want to avoid that).

4) Can I go to the Bang Khen station near Nonthaburi to check availability and book my ticket, or do I need to go to the main station? Or maybe the online email system works?

Thanks

Also agree 2nd class is better. Bottom is also the best (and a bit higher cost). There is ladder to access top bunk. Bottom allows you to get up early if you want (and return to seats). If in upper you have to wait until bottom decides to get up or conductor gets them up and takes care of it. You also have the window in bottom if you want to see what is going on.

Also agree 2nd class is better. Bottom is also the best (and a bit higher cost). There is ladder to access top bunk. Bottom allows you to get up early if you want (and return to seats). If in upper you have to wait until bottom decides to get up or conductor gets them up and takes care of it. You also have the window in bottom if you want to see what is going on.

2nd class lower berth a/c is the way to go, done this many times.

While the dining car is fine I kinda like to just stick by my bag(s) and the berth.  The guy or gal walking up and down the aisles with cold Singha, soft drinks, and such, will also bring back a plate of food for you, not a problem.

Good if there's three friends accompanying you, get the set of upper/lower berths opposite each other, fun to chat and pass the Singha back and forth.

Can buy your tickets at most any RR station, I get mine at the small Rangsit "commuter" station.

On return to Bangkok area BE SURE to have your gear ready and standing by to unload if you're getting off at a station other than Hua Lamphong.  The train doesn't stop for long at the early stations.

Mac

Agree with the rest ....

2nd class sleeper (ac) bottom berth for the view etc

and hanging out in the dining car with a beer or 3

I just tried the first class sleeper. It was nice but I was stuck with a guy who wanted to chat about world politics and all i wanted was some relaxation. I felt a bit trapped in there. I might try second class next time. I was going to originally but was worried it would be more noisy!

Take a first class bus from Mochit with a massage chair. It's only 8 hours and costs 800 THB.

You can also take express diesel train which is 1-2 hours faster than the sleeper trains and includes meals. Check seat61.com for train info, then double check with state railway's website.

Take a first class bus from Mochit with a massage chair. It's only 8 hours and costs 800 THB.

You can also take express diesel train which is 1-2 hours faster than the sleeper trains and includes meals. Check seat61.com for train info, then double check with state railway's website.

My problem is I can't sleep sitting up even in a recliner seat. The overnight sleeper seems to work better.

Thanks for the advise.

I booked my ticket at the Bang Khen station. It was very convenient (The ticketing person spoke English), though I had the Thai dialog handy just in case.

Question: The ticket was booked for Bang Khen to Nong Khai. Does it matter if I get on the train at Don Muang? The ticketing person said it would be ok (though the back of the ticket says they could fill the seat).

I chose the 2nd class, bottom berth. I'll bring along some ear plugs just in case.

Question: Once I get to Nong Khai, what type of transportation is available to get to the friendship bridge?

Thanks for the advise.

A few more questions:

1) Any recommendation if a bottom or top berth is better. The bottom berth is larger, but not sure if the person up top has to step on the bottom berth to get to the top. From the photos, it looks like the bottom birth is nice.

2) Also, I couldn't tell if there is any bedding provided (pillow, sheet, blanket?). I heard that the air-con might be kind of cold at night.

3) I was checking the availability online and it looks like the 18th of September is booked up (first and second class). Its the only time in the month that it is booked full. Sound like a big party will be going on that night (I definitely want to avoid that).

4) Can I go to the Bang Khen station near Nonthaburi to check availability and book my ticket, or do I need to go to the main station? Or maybe the online email system works?

Thanks

i agree with all that has been said in favour of 2nd class aircon. but beware it can be very cold. your bed will be made up containing a cotton bedsheet, a pillow and a bathtowel for a top cover. there is a cold shower cubicle but they often lock it, best of luck, i'll be doing the same journey in october

Thanks for the advise.

I booked my ticket at the Bang Khen station. It was very convenient (The ticketing person spoke English), though I had the Thai dialog handy just in case.

Question: The ticket was booked for Bang Khen to Nong Khai. Does it matter if I get on the train at Don Muang? The ticketing person said it would be ok (though the back of the ticket says they could fill the seat).

I chose the 2nd class, bottom berth. I'll bring along some ear plugs just in case.

Question: Once I get to Nong Khai, what type of transportation is available to get to the friendship bridge?

That point of being able to sell your seat if you board the train at a point further down the line is valid. I'd recommend getting on at Bang Khen this time, next run buy your ticket ex-Don Muang.

The NK train station is quite close to the bridge area and should be lots of tuk tuks around. Try NOT to pay baht 100!!

Mac

After reading you post ima try bus. Thanks

After reading you post ima try bus. Thanks

If you can sleep sitting up then by all means take the bus. For me it's impossible so I will stick with the sleeper train...

Thanks for the advise.

.....Question: Once I get to Nong Khai, what type of transportation is available to get to the friendship bridge?

..The NK train station is quite close to the bridge area and should be lots of tuk tuks around. Try NOT to pay baht 100!!

Mac

Negotiating with tuk-tuk drivers is not the most enjoyable part of traveling (unless the going rate is known). Any idea on what can be negotiated for the ride from Nong Khai train station to the friendship bridge? I will probably ask someone to join me on the tuk-tuk ride so maybe 40 baht per person? Thanks.

Quick update.

There was a lot of rain up north late last week so the train wasn't running from Bangkok to Udon Thani. This was a big surprise since I didn't hear about the train not running due to rain. Luckily I was able to take the bus from Mochit. Not the most comfortable ride, but at least I made it to Nong Khai. I got a few people together for the tuk-tuk ride to the border. It was 25 baht per person (4 people). The rest of the trip went well. I'll have to try out the train next time.

Quick update.

There was a lot of rain up north late last week so the train wasn't running from Bangkok to Udon Thani. This was a big surprise since I didn't hear about the train not running due to rain. Luckily I was able to take the bus from Mochit. Not the most comfortable ride, but at least I made it to Nong Khai. I got a few people together for the tuk-tuk ride to the border. It was 25 baht per person (4 people). The rest of the trip went well. I'll have to try out the train next time.

Coming wednesday, 24-9, I want to go by train from Bangkok to Saraburi. I cannot find any information on the official railway website. Does somebody have any idea about the situation on this traject?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

just some logic thinking to add:

fewer buses ex N-Khai, many more ex Udorn (larger town), up to ev 30 mins daytime. The NKhai buses-when not yet full-fill up in Udron anyway. But for overnite it does not make any sense to go to Udorn first. These buses are EXPRESS and do not serve the intermediate stops-other towns like KhonKhaen and Khorat have their own specific and even more frequent buses to BKK.

For above; tuktuks are ALWAYS by the ride and never per person. dont bring them on wrong ideas. Some yrs ago the posted rate at the bridge to train station was 20 bt-30 seems reasonable now.

Buses ex NK/UT to BKK should cost aboutr 7/800 for VIPm and 5/600 for the normal 1st. class. CherdChai is quite good, avoid 407 pattana

There is also a DIRECT luxury class 999-type bus Vientiane-BKK/Mochit. Cost more as the sectora added and booked single.

It seems even the minest of problems seems to be asked for: to get up to upper bed there are ''stairs=steps'' on the luggage racks. Nonetheless-you have to know that-the unknowing newbies tend hence to step on the lower bed. its a big Thai NoNO to set feet on someones ''property''