Thai Driver's License

Gonsalviz

Pinned on this forum it says you need your house address certified by immigration for a driver's license. Another forum link says the house address should be certified by your Embassy.

The latter has a date from 1997. This forum was from '95. Which do i believe? :o

Well I am not sure about the dates but I read from NZ embassy in Thailoand that I need to prove my adress by a bank statement or some letter with my name and addredd on it, also a current drivers licence from home or what ever if you have one, and you need to complete a medical. Pretty straight forward surprisingly.

Pinned on this forum it says you need your house address certified by immigration for a driver's license. Another forum link says the house address should be certified by your Embassy.

The latter has a date from 1997. This forum was from '95. Which do i believe? :o

You need to get an affidavit letter from your embassy certifying your current address. :D

The letter from your embassy will work for sure. Some people have provided the letter from immigration and had no problems and I provide a letter from the local Amphor office with help of wife and it was accepted.

Remember this is Thailand and some transportation offices seem to interpet regulations as they see fit.

You need to get an affidavit letter from your embassy certifying your current address. :o

No you don't!

A letter from the embassy is one way of doing it but it is expensive and takes time to process. A residence certificate is another way. I got mine in Korat immigration, it took 20 minutes and cost 9 baht, (photocopies). I just showed my passport and gave them my address, they did not look at any other documents.

Nidge

You need to get an affidavit letter from your embassy certifying your current address. :o

No you don't!

A letter from the embassy is one way of doing it but it is expensive and takes time to process. A residence certificate is another way. I got mine in Korat immigration, it took 20 minutes and cost 9 baht, (photocopies). I just showed my passport and gave them my address, they did not look at any other documents.

Nidge

Nidge,

How recently did you do this? And what exactly did you ask for?

Finally, where did you get your Thai DL?

I did it less than 2 weeks ago. I asked for a residence letter. I got my driving license from Korat also. In Chaiyaphum they told me i could not get a license without a work permit, so when i was in the Korat office i said i was applying there because it was on the way home from the immigration office. They were happy with that and very very helpful with my application forms.

I did it less than 2 weeks ago. I asked for a residence letter. I got my driving license from Korat also. In Chaiyaphum they told me i could not get a license without a work permit, so when i was in the Korat office i said i was applying there because it was on the way home from the immigration office. They were happy with that and very very helpful with my application forms.

I am glad to see things haven't changed too much. I got mine about 10 years ago in Bangkok and the long, drawn out process was about as quick as you mention. Did you have to do the color blind test as well?

Here are the tests i had to do....

1) Reaction test.

1 foot, 2 pedals. Press the accelerator pedal and the green light goes on. When it turns red, hit the brakes. This was the hardest one as the explanation was bad. The woman then sat in my place and showed me what to do, then it was simple.

2) Colour blind test.

there was a big colour blind poster on the wall. She pointed to spots and i had to tell her what colour, choices of red, orange, yellow and green.

3) Stereo vision test.

2 pieces of string leading to a box about 10 ft away. In the front of the box was a square hole showing 2 upright straws. Pulling the string moved one straw backwards and forwards. She put the straw to the back of the box and you pull until you think it is adjacent to the other one. Then she moved the straw to the front and you do it again.

4) Peripheral vision test.

Put your chin on a shelf and stare at a yellow dot right in front of your nose. Close to your left and right there are lights, (green and red), when one comes on you tell her.

I think that's it.

Nidge.

Here are the tests i had to do....

1) Reaction test.

1 foot, 2 pedals. Press the accelerator pedal and the green light goes on. When it turns red, hit the brakes. This was the hardest one as the explanation was bad. The woman then sat in my place and showed me what to do, then it was simple.

2) Colour blind test.

there was a big colour blind poster on the wall. She pointed to spots and i had to tell her what colour, choices of red, orange, yellow and green.

3) Stereo vision test.

2 pieces of string leading to a box about 10 ft away. In the front of the box was a square hole showing 2 upright straws. Pulling the string moved one straw backwards and forwards. She put the straw to the back of the box and you pull until you think it is adjacent to the other one. Then she moved the straw to the front and you do it again.

4) Peripheral vision test.

Put your chin on a shelf and stare at a yellow dot right in front of your nose. Close to your left and right there are lights, (green and red), when one comes on you tell her.

I think that's it.

Nidge.

When I did mine, about 2 years ago, they made me do the theory test also.. 20 multiple choice questions and IIRC you had to get 16 right, and the ones you got wrong you could have a second guess at with the same multiple choice questions. With no prep or reading I passed.

As for the proof of address, I understand you can use any of the following, a residence slip / letter from immigration, a work permit, or a letter from your embassy.

When I needed to get my 5 year, I went to get it, was told I needed the immigration slip, I suggested the 1 year license had my address but no it had to be 'proof' from immigration.. So I go round to them, and to prove my address, I showed them my licence from the DMV, who then gave me a slip, to take to the DMV to prove where I lived !!! You couldnt make this stuff up.

I went to get a replacement driving licence at Pranburi on Friday and was told I needed a letter from the immigraion dept. certifying my address. They showed me a sample letter which also has a passport sized 'photo attached. I also need to give them a copy of my passport showing my current visa plus my old licence.

I think/hope the local immigration dept. will accept a copy of my bank statement as proof of address otherwise I'll have to get a letter from the Embassy.

I'll try all this tomorrow

Hope this helps

rolleyes.gif

Get it from your local Immigration department, that is what they will require, NO need to go to the Embassy.

You say you are getting " A replacement licence", do you mean a renewal or replacement due to loss?

You need to get an affidavit letter from your embassy certifying your current address. :D

NOT TRUE;

i just got a NEW credit card style DL at the dept in Phuket. Had to take a copy of my blue book that lists me in the back as residing there, (or you could give them a copy of the yellow book if u have that) to immigration (or if ur renting your landlord needs to provide a letter stating your living there) and they gave me a letter stating so for 100 Baht. You do not need a work permit but you do need a non -immigrant visa.

Back to dept and gave them my old license,paid 550 baht, had my pic taken and walked out with the new license good for another 5 years in less than 15 minutes

It is also good for Cambodia, Malyasia, Vietnam, Singapore and in english and Thai

Edited by phuketrichard

NOT TRUE;

i just got a NEW credit card style DL at the dept in Phuket. Had to take a copy of my blue book that lists me in the back as residing there, (or you could give them a copy of the yellow book if u have that) to immigration (or if ur renting your landlord needs to provide a letter stating your living there) and they gave me a letter stating so for 100 Baht. You do not need a work permit but you do need a non -immigrant visa.

Back to dept and gave them my old license,paid 550 baht, had my pic taken and walked out with the new license good for another 5 years in less than 15 minutes

It is also good for Cambodia, Malyasia, Vietnam, Singapore and in english and Thai

Here in Pranburi for 5 year licence:-

Old licence that HAS expired.

Proof of residency address from local Immigration dept.

Medical certificate

Copies of 'Main page of passport and current visa page'

They take your picture and use this for the new credit style card - all done in 15 mins

Total cost including medical at 30B, photocopies at 2B per page + Licence Fee = 654B (excluding Immigration dept charges that seem to vary all over the place, but I think it cost me about 260B for residency proof)

Edited by cheshiremusicman