State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

PPP MP suffers head injury during clash

Udon Thani MP of the People Power Party, Surathin Phimarnmekhin, received were treated with two stitches for his head injury he suffered during the clash between the pro and anti-government protesters early Tuesday, his secretary said.

But Thirapol Suriyo, the secretary claimed that Suthin was not leading pro-government people into the clash.

Thirapol claimed that he went to visit his constituents after hearing they the came to Bangkok.

He said Suthin received the stitches at the Hua Chiew Hospital.

The Nation

Hmmm, I guess we will have to take his word for it, eh? NOT! :o

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Siam Cement is 30% owned by the Crown Property Bureau, the investment arm of the King.

Siam Commercial Bank is 2x% owned by the Crown Property Bureau. SCB brokered the deal.

Now - what conclusion are you trying to draw? CPB wanted to buy a stake in Shin as well. Their job is to make money, just like any other investment firm. They do not run either Siam Cement nor SCB, they simply have investments in those companies.

"They do not run......"

It depends; The Crown Property Bureau has large stakes, percentage wise, in those -very large- companies and probably has -preference- voting rights as well and can thus influence the day-to-day running, and therefore the results, as well.

To assume the CPB is just a silent investor is most likely naive.

LaoPo

Isn't Mr Na Ayuthya then the main man in both CPB and SCB?

No Phuket airport blockade, says PAD; tourism suffers as tourists cancel trips

PHUKET, Sept 2 (TNA) - Supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) in Thailand's southern resort island of Phuket vowed to continue their protests despite the announcement of a state of emergency, but would not block the island's international airport.

Natcharong Eakpeumsap, head of the PAD support group in Phuket, said the anti-government protest supporters on the island would not block the airport as airline service was the only and the fastest mean of transportation which could take them to join the PAD protests at the Government House compound and at Makkawan Rangsan Bridge in Bangkok.

The Phuket PAD leader said the airport blockade would have a greater impact on international tourists rather than local travelers. The PAD would instead demonstrate at the city's Sapanhin Park.

Bullsh!t, much more likely is that they got a well-deserved kicking from the taxi drivers, etc., who faced losing a lot of lolly from the airport closure!

Naturally, the CPB would be expected to have a seat on the board as the largest shareholder. So no, it is not silent. But they do not run the companies, nor are they likely to interfere in the operations. Do note that both of the companies mentioned in this case are publicly-listed so you can easily see for yourself who owns what, and make whatever conclusions you like from that.

Besides that - as far as SCB would've been concerned, the transaction was perfectly legal.

:D Of course they don't run the company; they have them run by people they CO-approve and CO-parachuted. But I'm quite sure that if a major shareholder like the CPB wouldn't approve with a certain appointed management-member it probably would not become factual. What do you think ? :o

Publicly listed doesn't mean anything; it depends how small or large the % is of the non-voting-rights listed shares.

BTW: I am not judging here any transaction since I wasn't referring to that.

LaoPo

What you are claiming, in essence, is that the CEO of these companies is a nominee of the CPB. Is that correct?

Having had personal experience with the two companies I mentioned, I can tell you that this is not true.

No, that's not correct.

But to assume that such a powerful MAJOR shareholder/investor would sit still and not help and steer such large companies is a bit too much.

Unless you are also a member of the board of one of those companies or at the board of the CPB itself I have difficulties in believing that you are able to say that the CPB has no 'voice' in appointing a CEO or other important member of the board.

Were you present or part of, with the elections or procedures, appointing members of the Board ? :D

LaoPo

DAAD regroups in Samut Prakan

Over 2,000 pro-government demonstrators moved from Sanam Luang to rally in Samut Prakan Tuesday evening.

The Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship moved its protesters from Sanam Luang to the ground in front of the Samut Prakan city hall.

Their number grew to over 3,000 at 9 pm.

Their leaders, who took turn to speak on the stage in criticism of the People's Alliance for Democracy, included Uthai Saegkaew, a younger brother of Deputy Transport Minister Thirachai Saengkaew, and People Power Party MP Krung Srivilai.

The Nation

But to assume that such a powerful MAJOR shareholder/investor would sit still and not help and steer such large companies is a bit too much.

Helping and steering are not the same as running or interfering - in which case you have taken my words out of context.

Unless you are also a member of the board of one of those companies or at the board of the CPB itself I have difficulties in believing that you are able to say that the CPB has no 'voice' in appointing a CEO or other important member of the board.

Again, you are taking my words of context. I already pointed out that the CPB, as a majority shareholder, would naturally have a seat on the board. Since when does a seat on the board constitute "no voice"?

By "running and interfering" I am obviously talking about day-to-day operations. They do not approve every decision or deal, that is left to the management and board of the company.

It does not require membership in the board of either company to know its workings or its directors intimately.

Edited by onethailand

I am a firm supporter of PAD and the protest....It has always been a peaceful protest, in hopes of stopping further corruption and theft of the country to benefit a few at the top.

RIGHT ON!!! I can't believe how many of the farangs posting on here have so little respect for the brave protesters who are standing up for a fair share of the pie, standing up to these elite few who steal from the common man. Does anybody remember the cival rights movement in America and MLK Jr. ???

I don't think this can be emphasized enough. There isn't very much difference between Sondhi and Thaksin at all. Good friends/business partners at one point. And then clearly, they had a falling out. Sondhi has been a pain in the government's bum ever since. ...

Continuing mob attacks of the goverment is certainly reminiscent of 1930s Germany.

surprised, red historian? and 1933 adolf hitler came as the saviour, just like ceo toxin, but there was no pad those days so he prevailed and seized absolute power and dictatorship by amending the constitution and making 'emergency laws' with his puppet lawmakers. you know how this 'elected & lawful government' ended. do you want his history to repeat in thailand?

Hi Chua,

Obviously your not someone that follow news closely, because if you did you would know that PAD is not peaceful. Or do you call occupying the government house peaceful, or blockading an entire airport in Phuket? Or the very dangerous moves PAD made to ignite the temple row with Cambodia. Hardly actions of a democratic and peaceful movement. I can't believe people here make the choice to turn a blind eye towards PAD (and its powerful backers). People are fast to forget that first TRT and then PPP won landslide victories. If new elections would be held today it would be most likely TRT/PPP would win again. Why? Because they are the only only ones in years to do something for the rural poor. The urban middle-and upperclass (combined with the army, oh yes generals know where their millions come from; the upperclass business elite) are determined to take the power back they lost in two democratic elections. There is only one longterm solution to get out of this stalemate. To invest heavily in the education and economic prosperity of the countryside and to emancipate the rural poor. That is not likely to happen if PAD gets its way, they will want to have the fruits of victory.

The only (shortterm) solution is to surpress these protests (will be nasty) and to let democracy take its course. Another coup will only prolong the stalemate for more years, new elections will see another victory for TRT/PPP.

What do you think is a realistic way out of these 'times of troubles'?

MayBeLater

This is really bad for the tourism , over here in Scandinavia its headline news on all the tv stations .

And even if its no danger to travel , this kind of news will make people here think twice about going to Thailand.

Especially families with kids , high season starts in 3 months so if this goes on I'm sure Thailand will suffer a lot....

Lets hope it will get back to normal soon.

Look at the bright side, it may save a few lives on the roads or keep them away from yet another strange murder plot, maybe save a few jumpers, prevent a few rapes and policemen ripping off tourists or intentionally botching their murder investigations once they've been sent back to their respective countries in a body bag.

Tourism is not what Thailand needs right now.

A very inappropriate post is all I have to say.

With the constant state of denial you live in, I can't see why you'd agree with it. :o

Concentrate more on NBT instead of me.

Mods, how come some of Joe's posts are blocked while others are not? I want them all blocked.

Why did you block my posts?

Is it because I asked for a source for one of your posts that looked like a news post.

Or because you disagree with my opinions.

Either one seems a bit ******** to me.

Wrong Joe, I sincerely apologize.

You were not blocked.

My earlier mention of a DAAD venturing onto PAd turf, captured and searched for weapons, they found his DAAD paysheet in a pocket.

The camera showed the whole thing, his capture etc.. Paysheet showed he was receiving 500 baht for something and 700 more for something else. 1200 baht and some free booze to go and kill if you feel like going that far... The DAAD guy also confessed he had not received his payment yet, only holding 60 baht and that many in the group had been fooled into going to a celebrity's funeral in Bangkok.

I don't make this sh!t up, neither did PAD it was live and then shown over and over again.

If some of you can't watch ASTV, that's your problem for not getting both extremes of the media, footage NBT will NEVER show you.

I'll be more than glad to provide a link if I get my hands on one.

you believe that the DAAD boss will give paysheet when paying these DAAD mobsters? I don't side the DAAD but this is just not logical.

:D:D

DAAD regroups in Samut Prakan

Over 2,000 pro-government demonstrators moved from Sanam Luang to rally in Samut Prakan Tuesday evening.

The Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship moved its protesters from Sanam Luang to the ground in front of the Samut Prakan city hall.

Their number grew to over 3,000 at 9 pm.

Their leaders, who took turn to speak on the stage in criticism of the People's Alliance for Democracy, included Uthai Saegkaew, a younger brother of Deputy Transport Minister Thirachai Saengkaew, and People Power Party MP Krung Srivilai.

The Nation

This is just plain sick. These DAAD Thugs, who attacked the PAD last night (early this morning), now have a PPP MP and also the brother of the PPP Deputy Transport Minister giving them pep talks. Samak is one sick F***, that's all I can say. One one hand, he talks about being gentle, keeping the protesters apart and declares a state of emergency to ""keep the peace"", on the other hand, he has his MP's stir up the crowds against the PAD.

What a joke and sick excuse for a human being. That goes for his henchmen, too.

Speaking to the neighbour whom I have known for 10 years, and is a furvent watcher of ASTV and even more furvent anti-PPP/TRT, she had absolutely no idea about this 70:30 proposal and absolutely no idea about Sondhi's previous financial wranglings with Thaksin.

She is a lovely woman, probably the typical PAD supporter, but she has no idea of any possible underhand agendas behind these protests.

yes because the 70:30 was a proposal nothing more.....long time forgotten...

Not just a proposal, but a fundamental core belief of the PAD leadership. Funny how the BBC, the Wall Street Journal and every other source quoted here mention this as a cornerstone of their policy, but , Oh My!, how you would love to believe that it would all be forgotten!

Don't worry everyone! Samak knows how to solve the crisis!

Surrounding Govt House is the Solution

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej gave an interview with CNN's Dan Rivers on Tuesday, saying that the government's plan to solve ongoing political tensions and unrest is have security forces surround the Government House, now occupied by supporters of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

"Surrounding them is the way to solve the problem," Mr Samak said. "Those who want to come out, let them come out...You can come out, you can't get in."

"It's just temporary surrounding," he added.

Step 2: Set it on fire?

He is on the board of directors of SCB - as is Chumpol Na Lamlieng. He is not, however, involved in the operations of SCB.

Sorry but you should know that he is director SCB,director CPB and chairman SCC.Below is his current profile.I will try to find back the topic on thaivisa from a few days ago where in an article is stated that he is the Ceo of SCB.Below is his profile.profile

He is on the board of directors of SCB - as is Chumpol Na Lamlieng. He is not, however, involved in the operations of SCB.

Sorry but you should know that he is director SCB,director CPB and chairman SCC.Below is his current profile.I will try to find back the topic on thaivisa from a few days ago where in an article is stated that he is the Ceo of SCB.Below is his profile.profile

Did something I say claim otherwise?

Here is the list of SCB's Senior Executive officers - http://www.scb.co.th/en/abt/abt_bmn_seo.shtml

Here is the list of SCB's Board of Directors - http://www.scb.co.th/en/abt/abt_bmn_bod.shtml

As far as I know, he is not involved in the operations of SCB and never has been.

Court kicks PPP out

your motto:...." when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson". well said, but what if the p.m. fears nothing but his puppetmaster? is this libertarian, libertine or libidinous? just wondering about thailand?

Hang on. I see a lot of the posts here are based on the belief that Samak actually tells the truth when he speaks. I do not believe one word he says. When he took over he made himself the minister for defense to cover this exact situation, to control free assembly and free speech for his own ends...... no doubt suggested by Mr T.

i also don't believe much what samak says. but he will not easily change the word of the most revered institution in thailand. and those words, as reported by samak himself, were: ..."with extreme caution, ...soft & gentle"...anyone who understands diplomatic language, there is no stronger warning than "with extreme caution". and since we all know long time that samak is everything but "soft & gentle" diplomacy would express with those words: "but clearly without you, you are not soft & gentle, step aside!". in an absolute monarchy, a king could and would have been more direct, but as one has to resort to 'diplomacy' how could one have been more outspoken?

:o:D I missed this one earlier. Well put.

It is also rather telling that these phrases were from last week only,

and nothing at all was reported said at this weekends meeting.

In fact Kuhn Samak avoided the press completely after returning.

Silence may speak volumes.

If one has nothing good to say, one says nothing at all.

Edited by animatic

Did something I say claim otherwise?

Here is the list of SCB's Senior Executive officers - http://www.scb.co.th/en/abt/abt_bmn_seo.shtml

Here is the list of SCB's Board of Directors - http://www.scb.co.th/en/abt/abt_bmn_bod.shtml

As far as I know, he is not involved in the operations of SCB and never has been.

why dont u 2 start a thread about who owns influnences or works for the big corporations behind the problems in the country so we can all get back to whats happening

PPP MP suffers head injury during clash

Udon Thani MP of the People Power Party, Surathin Phimarnmekhin, received were treated with two stitches for his head injury he suffered during the clash between the pro and anti-government protesters early Tuesday, his secretary said.

But Thirapol Suriyo, the secretary claimed that Suthin was not leading pro-government people into the clash.

Thirapol claimed that he went to visit his constituents after hearing they the came to Bangkok.

He said Suthin received the stitches at the Hua Chiew Hospital.

The Nation

Hmmm, I guess we will have to take his word for it, eh? NOT! :o

Well who was out an about that night from up in his district?

in that location? did they help him to the hospital?

Were they wearing red by any chance?

Do most MP's meet their constituants in the street at that hour?

I thought the would go to restaurants, or soapies where they can... talk.

No he was not leading the pro-government people...

he was following with the street map, so they didn't get lost!

Not sure if this has been reported yet. Doesn't look too good.
EXCELLENT MOVE

I suppose one reason I am so passionate about my support to getting rid of the current government, and before that thee government of Thaskin is, I saw 1st hand what his policies did in Issan. You gave a lot of people easy credit, based on how much land they owned. They went out bought new trucks, maybe a Mia Noi, a few invested in equipment to farm, but little thought was given to how to pay the money back.

What happened when they did not pay the money back? They lost their land and the government sold it to its cronies....

We bought some of this land our selves, rather than having it go to the government, and then allowed the families to keep farming it.

While a lot of people praised the government for giving them money, for a lot the full realization has yet to set in on what it truly cost them.

It was almost universal in all the villages outside Si Sa Ket for a payment of 200 to 500 baht per vote....This is not democracy.

good point! scientists have investigated the 'million baht/tambon' plan and found it had little impact on thai economy. 'incomes' have improved marginally, 'expenditure' has increased double than 'income'. so thai people are more indebted now than before. many bought 'mobiles' with the borrowed money and spent many hours on 'air'. what a lucky coincidence, that toxin was engaged in both the handphone & the ais business. many who couldn't pay back (with default interest as high as 1% per day!) went to the old loan sharks, some just resorted to good old prostitution and 'walking atm's' (thai word for compassionate and stupid farang)....you can't give some poor people who had never ever seen more than 1,000 baht at any one time 20,000 suddenly and expect that they do anything good with it. many readers on this forum know well the average and below average thai's strong calculation and planning abilities. what a scam and those who profitted most where again the puppetmaster and his cronies.

Not sure if this has been reported yet. Doesn't look too good.
EXCELLENT MOVE

I suppose one reason I am so passionate about my support to getting rid of the current government, and before that thee government of Thaskin is, I saw 1st hand what his policies did in Issan. You gave a lot of people easy credit, based on how much land they owned. They went out bought new trucks, maybe a Mia Noi, a few invested in equipment to farm, but little thought was given to how to pay the money back.

What happened when they did not pay the money back? They lost their land and the government sold it to its cronies....

We bought some of this land our selves, rather than having it go to the government, and then allowed the families to keep farming it.

While a lot of people praised the government for giving them money, for a lot the full realization has yet to set in on what it truly cost them.

It was almost universal in all the villages outside Si Sa Ket for a payment of 200 to 500 baht per vote....This is not democracy.

good point! scientists have investigated the 'million baht/tambon' plan and found it had little impact on thai economy. 'incomes' have improved marginally, 'expenditure' has increased double than 'income'. so thai people are more indebted now than before. many bought 'mobiles' with the borrowed money and spent many hours on 'air'. what a lucky coincidence, that toxin was engaged in both the handphone & the ais business. many who couldn't pay back (with default interest as high as 1% per day!) went to the old loan sharks, some just resorted to good old prostitution and 'walking atm's' (thai word for compassionate and stupid farang)....you can't give some poor people who had never ever seen more than 1,000 baht at any one time 20,000 suddenly and expect that they do anything good with it. many readers on this forum know well the average and below average thai's strong calculation and planning abilities. what a scam and those who profitted most where again the puppetmaster and his cronies.

I'm glad that people are finally starting to see it.

Hi.

Someone mentioned that the DAAD has re-grouped in Samut Prakan? Is there any news that something happened there, such as fighting? Because i've seen 8 ambulances (with sirens/flashing lights) go in that direction during the last 5 or 6 minutes. I can overview Bangna Intersection from my room and they all went towards Samut Prakan, coming from Bangkok/Sukhumvit, the Expressway and Bangna-Trat directions.

Best regards.....

Thanh

(edit) 9th just gone through.

Edited by Thanh-BKK