Travel Agent Rip Off

LivinLOS

Story so far..

My brother booked 2 tickets to uk return, via some BKK outfit..

Ticket dates agreed, ticket priced, booking confirmed in detail in writing. He then paid for the tickets.. All done and agreed. Until an hour ago everything was thought to be done.

Now 3 days before they fly, with all the interconnecting flights booked, the travel agent calls back, says theres been a mistake, and he has to pay an extra 16k to get his tickets. Not there are none, but that the quote was a screwup on thier part. I am guessing they havent even got the ticket, they just quoted it and didnt book. Shes trying to offer different flights with stops in the ME etc.

Obviously he cant rebook a different flight at similar prices, hes committed to this itinerary due to other flight connections.

TAT didnt seem interested, gave him a bunch of other people to call.. Is there no one that controls TAT tour operator licenses that could help this ??

Basically hes booked and paid, and days before he flys they are doing the old switcheroo, now he just wants the ticket issued.

Suggestions please.

Story so far..

My brother booked 2 tickets to uk return, via some BKK outfit..

Ticket dates agreed, ticket priced, booking confirmed in detail in writing. He then paid for the tickets.. All done and agreed. Until an hour ago everything was thought to be done.

Now 3 days before they fly, with all the interconnecting flights booked, the travel agent calls back, says theres been a mistake, and he has to pay an extra 16k to get his tickets. Not there are none, but that the quote was a screwup on thier part. I am guessing they havent even got the ticket, they just quoted it and didnt book. Shes trying to offer different flights with stops in the ME etc.

Obviously he cant rebook a different flight at similar prices, hes committed to this itinerary due to other flight connections.

TAT didnt seem interested, gave him a bunch of other people to call.. Is there no one that controls TAT tour operator licenses that could help this ??

Basically hes booked and paid, and days before he flys they are doing the old switcheroo, now he just wants the ticket issued.

Suggestions please.

Try contacting ATTA.

TAT requires a deposit when issuing travel agent licenses. The amount varies depending on the type of license the agent is issued. I.E. domestic or international travel. If i remember correctly the international license deposit was B200,000

I was under the impression (and told) this travel agent deposit was to cover mistakes made by the agents. I could be wrong.

I see you mentioned he has contacted TAT. I would go in person to a TAT office with all the details and insist they solve the problem.

TAT's bond is 100,000 for inbound OR outbound, and 200,000 for both. It is not meant to cover mistakes by agents - it is to cover any contingencies should the agency go out of business.

Going to the TAT may not be a whole lot of use, other than to file a complaint. The correct thing to do is to contact the police to file a report, but informing the agent that you will do this may cause them to change their minds anyhow as they won't want the hassle.