Chiang Mai To Hua Hin

helloall

Next month I am going to drive to hua hin. Out of curiosity i fired up my gps and the route took me inside bkk city which given the current situation seems a bit daft. Looking at my paper map it seems tricky after i get to chai nat. Has anyone got any recommendations?

It actually is faster to go through bangkok as the detours you'll take when going through Ratchaburi will make the trip even longer. You'll actually be ok going through BKK as well since you can stay on the expressway all the way from Rama 2 until past Rangsit and avoid any trouble if it arises. Military and police will be watching traffic coming from the north into the city and not leaving it. In a month it should all blow over anyway so its probably a moot point.

I agree; and also it's not like you're going straight through downtown Bangkok, you go around it on the outer ring road.

Not too far after Ayudthaya you will get to the outer ring road (# 9 ) , which is where you merge off the highway (ramp left) then turn right across the highway you were on and then keep going until you get the opportunity to turn on to Highway # 35 which will merge with Highway #4 further South.

See: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&....406006&z=9 Google maps is your friend. :o

Personally I avoid Bkk like the plague. Have been up and down many times, between CM and Hat Yai, Phuket CM etc and now always go via Suphan Buri. It's slightly longer but way easier, less congested and better roads... ring road 9 can be a right pig for example. You come off 32 onto highway 1 around the Chainat area, head for SB on the 340/321 and then continue south to highway 4. When you hit the 4, take the first U-turn to take you west and then south for HH. You'll avoid the concrete jungle altogether. Easier coming back since no need to U-turn when coming off the 4 for the 321 :o

The last time I travelled from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai I chose to the following route:

Hua Hin - Samut Songkhram - Ratchaburi - Nakhom Pathom - Follow Hwy 340 to join Hwy 1 at Uthai Thani about 30 kms south of Nakhorn Sawan - Hwy 1 through Kamphaeng Phet, Tak, Lampang and on to Chiang Mai.

Not much traffic from Uthai Thani to Ratchaburi

This trip took me 7 hours and 15 minutes from downtown Hua Hin to Maddog.

I have done the trip several times and the shortest and quickest way I have found is:

Chiangmai - Lampang H'way 11

Lampang - Chainat H'way 1

A couple of things to look out for in this sector:

1. A right turn is required just after you pass through Tak to cross over the Ping River and keep on H'way 1
  2. There is a bypass to the west of Nakhon Sawan so you need to look out for the right hand turn north of Nakhon Sawan. There are lights at the intersection.
  3. You need to make a right turn south of Nakhon Sawan to keep on H'way 1 rather than go on to H'way 32. Once again, there are traffic lights at the intersection and there is a Pure gas station on your left just before the intersection.

Chainat - Suphanburi H'way 340

Suphanburi - Uthong H'way 322

Uthong - Nakhon Pathom H'way 321

Nakhon Pathom - Hua Hin H'way 4

This is four lane highway all the way except for a short section near Kampang Saen north of Nakhon Pathom. There are bypasses around all the major cities.