Samak Will Announce Resignation Thursday Morning?

george

Okay, this is rather interesting. :D

I have just got back from Government House. I spoke to a rather well-connected source who said the same comment that the PM would resign tomorrow. That makes this a two-source story. :D

But rumours can be confirmed by a circularity-- it could be the same rumour that has simply circled back around and being told to the person who started the rumour. The second possibility is the sources are unreliable. The third possibility are they are reliable but turn out to be wrong... :o I would describe my source as extremely credible.

I certainly expect a "red mob" attack on the west of the House tonight... (this is me just rumour mongering mind you... :D )

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours spread Samak will announce resignation Thursday morning

BANGKOK: -- Rumours had it throughout the day that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej was granted an audience with His Majesty the King to inform His Majesty of his intention to resign.

The rumours said Samak had booked time slot of Radio Thailand at 7:30 am to announce his resignation.

-- The Nation 2008-09-03

They didn't actually vote for him, they voted for the party, that is how it works!

The last time someone looked was this not, a Democratic election of sorts, If the resignation comes or not, of the leader of the Party.

Who will step-up until the next formal election, before the fabric of Thailand is once again torn apart by its own people, pitting Family against Family, Neighbor against Neighbor, someone best tell them, they look very unstable in the eyes of the west, watch how quick the purse strings are snapped shut, if the Military take power again and a Democracy once again implodes.

Who really cares if it’s like any other country, who in politics is not above reproach?

Nice guy this Sondhi - He just told his supporters NOT to go home even if Samak resigns. He is demanding to know who the new PM will be before that, and that all his 5 demands are met (ex: 1: Take back the temple from Cambodia - probably WAR) I would suggest you all tune in to News 1 and try and find someone who can translate for you.

This piece from Giles Ungpakorn is a clear-sighted analysis of the current situation in my view:

The continuing crisis in Thailand (Sep 1)

I am hoping for Samak leaving, PAD leaving the streets and PPP remaining in power. But I fear that PAD has now smelled blood and that this will end in serious bloodshed and then military government. Of course, military government might be exactly what PAD favors instead of PPP or actual democratic rule?

Giles Ungpakorn backgrounder

Clash night #1

-New chief of police installed

*-Bomb explodes next to police booth neard PAD, same pattern as before with unsolved bombings pointing to Thaksinistas.

-Chief Immediately declares no batons, shields only

-DAAD gathers dunken yobs

-Drunken yobs are allowed to hop onto m'cycles and walk the street with weapons clearly showing in hand.

-Police line has resistance of paper wall on many occasions during march, seems highly intentional

-One killed, over 40 injured.

-Decision already scheduled for Sep 2 regarding PPP party disolution.

-Everyone waiting for Samak's next move.

-Samak declares STATE OF EMERGENCY, :o

Today :

-State of Emergency still on

-PAD leaders warn of police movement today at Govt House.

-Rumour of Foreign Minister Tej resigning.

-Tej announces sudden resignation

-Rumour of Samak radio announcement tomorrow 7:30 am

-DAAD threaten to march and raid Samut Prakan Democrat party headquarters.

Just it does not make sense for me yet?

Replace Anupong because he couldn't prevent that?

Or why doing that?

Easy easy, give it time.

Oh well PPP is out PAD is in!!!

Burma and Laos are run by dictatorships, why not Thailand??? The place is probably getting to progressive for its own good anyway, wind back the clock 30 years, bring on the good old days.

I enthusiastically agree. But you don't even have to go that far back, just go back before Taksin and Purachai (anyone remember Purachai). Before they decided to clean-up Thailand and bring it up to the modern standards of heaven itself, California. Under the old feudal elite rulers: the bars closed when they pleased; the gogo boys wore enticing little bikinis; the stores could sell alchohol where and when they wanted; people could smoke in bars and people were free to leave if they didn't like it; etc etc etc.

In other words the 'good old days' when the people had far more freedom than they do today.

People who vote for the likes of Samak and Thaksin are the uneducated masses and as long as Thailand does nothing to improve the educational system in this country (standards and access to a full 12 years of school), nothing will change. The elite like to keep the upcountry folks dumb to keep them down, but what the elite get in return is the likes of Samak and Thaksin running the country.

The Thai populace is fairly well educated. Both the folks in the rural villages and the folks in the urban slums tend to be literate and follow the news both in the newspapers and other media. Now I am not one to argue that the Thai education system is not in need of improvement. But just because the rural folks and the urban poor have different priorities than do those higher up the economic scale, including yourself, they are not dumb. And one must ask why those who you incorrectly infer to be superior to the "uneducated masses" (a most slippery slope indeed) would want to support Sondhi, who is no different than Thaksin, and by my perspective, being socially much closer to the rural poor than to the Bangkok middle class, far more frightening than Thaksin in the long run.

YOu are correct in your assessment, but even though the masses are literate, that does not mean they have much common sense and intelligence to avoid being bamboozled by the likes of Thaksin. The schemes that Thaksin introduced did not benefit them much and most of the poor who were given handouts are now in worse shape and in more debt because the policies did not help build up their communities. They were only built on handing out freebies to the people. That's not sustainable. But they only remember that they were given cheap money.

That's true- they had no more idea of how to effectively parlay their 'handouts' into something sustainable than the people in the west who receive similar handouts- in the form of UI, welfare, big student loans etc. But there is something else you are forgetting- even if they do come to understand that in the long run the handouts did them more harm than good, they remember that Thaksin 'cared for' them. And in Thailand- where 'caring for' and 'being cared for' are ingrained into the very deepest structural dynamics of this very paternalistic society, they won't forget.

You are a erudite scholar and a gentleman and quite correct. Well said.

Nice guy this Sondhi - He just told his supporters NOT to go home even if Samak resigns. He is demanding to know who the new PM will be before that, and that all his 5 demands are met (ex: 1: Take back the temple from Cambodia - probably WAR) I would suggest you all tune in to News 1 and try and find someone who can translate for you.

Another PPP PM or Banharn the eel won't be a solution.

And no one wants a war with Cambodia....

Sadly it's been pretty clear for the last several days

that Kuhn Samak

couldn't control the country or

couldn't lead the country nor

even FOLLOW the country.

Which pretty much left him 2-3 days ago,

he just never caught on.

I think he was pretty much toast after getting stiffed Saturday evening.

Just to bull minded to admit it. Sadly his intransigence,

left room for weaker minds in PPP to organize violence.

Let's hope some healing is in short order.

If I had one person to pick for PM,

it would be Tej Bunnag as PM, with Abhist as his right arm.

But I wouldn't wish this job on a good man...

Now there is a team that can build a little trust in short order.

Edited by animatic

<br />
And then what. Do people honestly believe the next person in line will be any better?<br /><br />As much as many people hate Samak, he was still <b>democratically elected by a majority of the people</b> and this should be respected.<br /><br />I think this is a huge blow for democracy in Thailand.
<br /><br />Arrrrrggghhhh.<br /><br />This is beginning to bug me so much that i am starting to bite.<br /><br />1) Samak <b>WAS NOT</b> elected, he was appointed by his party.<br /><br />2) The PPP <b>DID NOT</b> get the majority vote (37% I believe), 37% <b>IS NOT</b> a majority. <br /><br />3) The Dems as an individual party got the most votes, but not by a large enough margin to take government.<br /><br />4) The PPP took government only by way of forming a coallition with other parties, meaning that they had the majority of seats in the house. But still, they <b>DID NOT</b> have the majorty vote from the electorate.<br /><br />I would recommend/like that some people pay due and proper attention as to what has been happening before posting their opinions.<br /><br />I am wasting my time with this post aren't I?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yep, lets revamp the whole political structure of the world because someone thinks it's not fair! OOPS now the other side think it's wrong we will have to change it again.........

Sounds like somewhere close to home

This is what you've got deal with it, it's not even our concern we are guests here, did you vote? If you don't like the way it shapes up, ship out!

These people have the right to deal with things the way they see fit, according to their culture, religion and their societies structure and beliefs

from the nation

DAAD leader threatens to raid Democrat head office

Chuchart na Bangprai, a leader of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship, threatened Wednesday night to lead protesters from Samut Prakan to raid the Democrat Party's head office.

Addressing the DAAD-led government supporters at the Samut Prakan provincial hall at 8:30 pm, Chuchart said the DAAD would lead demonstrators to raid the Democrat head office soon to retaliate against the seizure of the Government House by People's Alliance for Democracy.

The Nation

end quote

how does this fit into the story?

Do you have a link for this?

Why on earth would they be raiding the Dem's, HQ who have little or nowt to do with this.

If this is correct then it could only be antagonistic. I have questioned before whether or not Samak would bow out gracefully. Perhaps he is going for his swan song?

Sadly it's been pretty clear for the last several days

that Kuhn Samak

couldn't control the country or

couldn't lead the country nor

even FOLLOW the country.

Which pretty much left him 2-3 days ago,

he just never caught on.

I think he was pretty much toast after getting stiffed Saturday evening.

Just to bull minded to admit it. Sadly his intransigence,

left room for weaker minds in PPP to organize violence.

Let's hope some healing is in short order.

If I had one person to pick for PM,

it would be Tej Bunnag as PM, with Abhist as his right arm.

Now there is a team that can build a little trust in short order.

That would be good, but I am pessimistic, and what about the ministers? PPP minister?

if not PPP, PPP can knock out the government easily, so either it does not live long or it is on the strings of PPP.

I hope you have some arguments showing that I am wrong.

My bet is:

Barnharn the Eel as PM

from the nation

Chuchart na Bangprai, a leader of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship, threatened Wednesday night to lead protesters from Samut Prakan to raid the Democrat Party's head office.

Addressing the DAAD-led government supporters at the Samut Prakan provincial hall at 8:30 pm, Chuchart said the DAAD would lead demonstrators to raid the Democrat head office soon to retaliate against the seizure of the Government House by People's Alliance for Democracy.

The Nation

end quote

Why on earth would they be raiding the Dem's, HQ who have little or nowt to do with this.

If this is correct then it could only be antagonistic. I have questioned before whether or not Samak would bow out gracefully. Perhaps he is going for his swan song?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30082532

link

Is anybody else getting bored of this "Democratically elected government" crap that some posters are saying?

Is it possible for a mod to make a sticky thread of all of the proven/pending cases against the government. Along with the FACT that Samak/PPP DID NOT win the majority vote.

I am all for opposing opinions but when people type without having a clue it gets rather tiresome.

It doesn't matter, they are part of a coalition government, that is (up until now, whilst some court cases have not been concluded) a perfectly legitimate government.

That's the point.

Is anybody else getting bored of this "Democratically elected government" crap that some posters are saying?

Is it possible for a mod to make a sticky thread of all of the proven/pending cases against the government. Along with the FACT that Samak/PPP DID NOT win the majority vote.

I am all for opposing opinions but when people type without having a clue it gets rather tiresome.

It doesn't matter, they are part of a coalition government, that is (up until now, whilst some court cases have not been concluded) a perfectly legitimate government.

That's the point.

And there was no vote buying.....

non of the coalition partners are on the way to get dissolved for vote buying

Santa Claus exists.

from the nation

The Nation

end quote

link

Thanks for the link.

This worries me, is there any justifiable reason for the DAAD to go to the Dem's HQ, asides from wanting to cause trouble?

I hope not, but war is the one shure way for failing politicians to unite nations, just consider "Hand-bagging Maggie" for instance.

BB

from the nation

The Nation

end quote

link

Thanks for the link.

This worries me, is there any justifiable reason for the DAAD to go to the Dem's HQ, asides from wanting to cause trouble?

Give it tiiiiime.

Review below.

Clash night #1

*-Bomb explodes next to police booth neard PAD, same pattern as before with unsolved bombings pointing to Thaksinistas.

-Drunken yobs are allowed to hop onto m'cycles and walk the street with weapons clearly showing in hand.

-Police line has resistance of paper wall on many occasions during march, seems highly intentional

-Samak declares STATE OF EMERGENCY, rolleyes.gif

Today :

Oh well PPP is out PAD is in!!!

Burma and Laos are run by dictatorships, why not Thailand??? The place is probably getting to progressive for its own good anyway, wind back the clock 30 years, bring on the good old days.

I enthusiastically agree. But you don't even have to go that far back, just go back before Taksin and Purachai (anyone remember Purachai). Before they decided to clean-up Thailand and bring it up to the modern standards of heaven itself, California. Under the old feudal elite rulers: the bars closed when they pleased; the gogo boys wore enticing little bikinis; the stores could sell alchohol where and when they wanted; people could smoke in bars and people were free to leave if they didn't like it; etc etc etc.

In other words the 'good old days' when the people had far more freedom than they do today.

This is one of the reasons why I hated Thaksin.

It's one thing if you're going to cheat money when you're already a millionaire, it's another thing when you start meddling with peoples' lives. It's a completely different issue when you start to hire guys in suits and dark glasses to beat up women and children, bluntly lie to the public only for the truth to come out the next day, appoint family to high-ranking positions, sue people left and right, kill thousands without a trial, disproportionately increase taxes, blah blah blah...

I don't seem to remember the 'military dictatorship' getting into my personal affairs but a government that was elected three times has forced their own agenda against the citizens' personal rights.

from the nation

The Nation

end quote

link

Thanks for the link.

Give it tiiiiime.

Review below.

Clash night #1

-Samak declares STATE OF EMERGENCY, rolleyes.gif

Today :

A lot more police coming.....maybe someone try to make a coup as the last option?

Which if he said it, confirms to me that this man is an absolute megalomaniac (who the hel_l is he to decide who runs the govt) and cares not one jot for the consequences of his actions. He is relying on the protection of many people to have the privilege of spouting this idiocy. If Samak goes he has to stop or be made to stop. If anyone thinks that Samaks actions were damaging the country, if Sondhi continues after Samak goes this country won't have anything worth damaging.

He may or may not have the head of the PM, we will see in the morning. At which point I hope that reality prevails and someone please stop his insane demands (of appointed legislatures, forced retaking of temples etc) and stop this anarchy.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I hope not, but war is the one shure way for failing politicians to unite nations, just consider "Hand-bagging Maggie" for instance.

BB

Or General Leopoldo Galtieri.

Edited by globalj

I just told the wife about this "news", and she asks why it is not being reported on TV? Then I log on to here and see it is merely a rumor. Passing on rumors this way is not very helpful, in my estimation, anyone can dream up stuff like that. Let's see what happens tomorrow, huh?

I would take anything ripped from The Nation's website with a grain of salt. I worked there for two years after many years as an investigative reporter in the U.S. They're standards for writing articles are quite low. I had many run-ins with reporters trying to write one-source stories based on an interview with an "anonymous" source. The paper is getting worse these days having laid off the majority of its foreign editors and pared down the local staff to a skeleton crew.

I would think if you were an investigative reporter you'd be able to spell. Their standards for writing an article, NOT They're. They're is an abbreviation for They Are.

Anyway, we will all see tomorrow.

from the nation

The Nation

end quote

If any one has a question of the Thaksin political machine STILL controling

the political discourse and information heard in the north east this &lt;deleted&gt;

spouted by DAAD confirms eloquently that fact.

The DEMS have SOME sympathies with SOME PAD goals,

but have distanced themselves from PAD

except where PAD specifically echoed EXISTING DEM policies.

But these brainwashed fools have been told

'the DEMS and PAD are the same thing',

so that makes them a valid tit for tat target.

The GREATEST failing of the junta installed government was

NOT dismantilling Thaksin's political machine up north.

Control the information, control the populace.

Orwells 1984, Brazil's Department Of Information Retrieval,

classic Communuist / Fascist / Nazi party doctrine.

Bush's Karl Rove knows this too.

This is the root cause of unfair elections and the PPP syndicates return.

Thaksin KNOWS his machine still pulls the strings for cheap.

He wants his 76 billion back at the cost of civil unrest.

I just told the wife about this "news", and she asks why it is not being reported on TV? Then I log on to here and see it is merely a rumor. Passing on rumors this way is not very helpful, in my estimation, anyone can dream up stuff like that. Let's see what happens tomorrow, huh?

I would take anything ripped from The Nation's website with a grain of salt. I worked there for two years after many years as an investigative reporter in the U.S. They're standards for writing articles are quite low. I had many run-ins with reporters trying to write one-source stories based on an interview with an "anonymous" source. The paper is getting worse these days having laid off the majority of its foreign editors and pared down the local staff to a skeleton crew.

I would think if you were an investigative reporter you'd be able to spell. Their standards for writing an article, NOT They're. They're is an abbreviation for They Are.

Anyway, we will all see tomorrow.

maybe that was the reason why he got laid off....

Which if he said it, confirms to me that this man is an absolute megalomaniac (who the hel_l is he to decide who runs the govt) and cares not one jot for the consequences of his actions. He is relying on the protection of many people to have the privilege of spouting this idiocy. If Samak goes he has to stop or be made to stop. If anyone thinks that Samaks actions were damaging the country, if Sondhi continues after Samak goes this country won't have anything worth damaging.

He may or may not have the head of the PM, we will see in the morning. At which point I hope that reality prevails and someone please stop his insane demands (of appointed legislatures, forced retaking of temples etc) and stop this anarchy.

You can as easily replace Sondhi's name above in all instances with Thaksin,

and it makes MORE Sense.

from the nation

The Nation

end quote

If any one has a question of the Thaksin political machine STILL controling

the political discourse and information heard in the north east this &lt;deleted&gt;

spouted by DAAD confirms eloquently that fact.

The DEMS have SOME sympathies with SOME PAD goals,

but have distanced themselves from PAD

except where PAD specifically echoed EXISTING DEM policies.

But these brainwashed fools have been told

'the DEMS and PAD are the same thing',

so that makes them a valid tit for tat target.

The GREATEST failing of the junta installed government was

NOT dismantilling Thaksin's political machine up north.

Control the information, control the populace.

Orwells 1984, Brazil's Department Of Information Retrieval,

classic Communuist / Fascist / Nazi party doctrine.

Bush's Karl Rove knows this too.

This is the root cause of unfair elections and the PPP syndicates return.

Thaksin KNOWS his machine still pulls the strings for cheap.

He wants his 76 billion back at the cost of civil unrest.

yes but if the Junta would have dismantled the political machine up north, it would have only worked with harsh methods ala Myanmar or Stasi in East Germany.

If you use evil methods for good intentions you are also getting evil.