Condo under construction collapses

melonf

Ambulances and rescue workers have been streaming down Pratamnak Soi 6 near Pattaya Park

It seems that there has been a construction site collapse at a new View Talay condo development.

It is reported that many workers have been killed (Thai neighbour reporters that is)

There was a large scale exercise at Amari north Pattaya today involving emergency services, where a staged incident where 3 were killed and 5 received severe burns, there possibly could have been a 2nd exercise in Jomtien as well.

There was a large scale exercise at Amari north Pattaya today involving emergency services, where a staged incident where 3 were killed and 5 received severe burns, there possibly could have been a 2nd exercise in Jomtien as well.

it as collapsed and as far as i know something to do with elevator shaft not 100%

Update:

It was view talay 3, soi 6, pratumnak

This building was completed a few years ago and has people living in it, aprox 6 people known dead, and loads trapped inside still.

It was something to do with a lift shaft.

How many people can they fit in one lift? 6 dead, loads more trapped? Additional details would be appreciated.

No mention of the incident in any online media so far. I am constantly checking the news feeds.

I live next door and my massage lady arrived just after 12. She was shaking as she told me about it but she said there was an explosion and around 50 were dead or trapped. Apparently many survivors ran onto the beach where she was at the time and most were Cambodian and Burmese workers she said. I can see the area from here as a condo blocks my view but amazingly the condo under construction at the rear of this one (same company) is still full steam ahead in construction.

When they built it I think they meant to name it "View in the talay"

Not very nice in lieu of the circumstances ( :o ) but I guess this is what is referred to as quality German construction and engineering. :D

I hope the dead and injured numbers an abiration.

The first photo on their page with a one liner saying a 5 star building collapsed with many injured.

from the nation - A building of five-star hotel in Pattaya which is under construction collapse on Thursday morning, injuring many workers.//Thanasap Noisa-ard

Is the View Talay a 5 star hotel?

Now on Thai national news channel. Very little info. Concrete structure collapse; many injured. No talk of fatalities on news...Probably a lot more information to come.

Very astute of you mate. any reference if it was a view prawn talay or in fact as the Nation has attempted to report, a 5 star hotel?

Not much to the story yet:

gallery_16137_403_4385.jpg

A building of five-star hotel in Pattaya which is under construction collapse on Thursday morning, injuring many workers.

//Thanasap Noisa-ard

Is this View Telay?

Seems I saw this picture afew months ago - an LK project I think. Might be wrong

A building of five-star hotel in Pattaya which is under construction collapse on Thursday morning, injuring many workers.

//Thanasap Noisa-ard

Is this View Telay?

Seems I saw this picture afew months ago - an LK project I think. Might be wrong

Not sure, that's the pic the Nation had on their site. I think the LK project your referring to was higher at the time (if I recall the pics from that one correctly).

P1 News has an article on it now:

5 injured following Collapse at 5 Star Hotel Construction site.

Just after 10.30 on Thursday Morning, Police were called to a construction site of a new 5 Star Hotel in Soi 6 off the Pratamnak Road in South Pattaya, following reports of a partial collapse of the construction. Rescue Unit rushed to the scene following initial reports that persons were trapped within the wreckage and fatalities may have occurred. The Site manager quickly confirmed that everyone had been accounted for and 5 people were injured including a local journalist who hit a pole as he rushed around the site to get the first pictures of the collapse. Khun Prachar, the Governor of Chonburi also rushed to the scene fearing that fatalities had occurred. The construction is thought to be a Hotel with underground car park and according to Investigators; cement was being laid on the second floor when the collapse took place. Further investigations are now taking place and for now Police have ordered the construction site to be closed until a full safety review is undertaken.

Pattaya One News

//Thanasap Noisa-ard

Is this View Telay?

Not sure, that's the pic the Nation had on their site. I think the LK project your referring to was higher at the time (if I recall the pics from that one correctly).

P1 News has an article on it now:

5 injured following Collapse at 5 Star Hotel Construction site.

Just after 10.30 on Thursday Morning, Police were called to a construction site of a new 5 Star Hotel in Soi 6 off the Pratamnak Road in South Pattaya, following reports of a partial collapse of the construction. Rescue Unit rushed to the scene following initial reports that persons were trapped within the wreckage and fatalities may have occurred. The Site manager quickly confirmed that everyone had been accounted for and 5 people were injured including a local journalist who hit a pole as he rushed around the site to get the first pictures of the collapse. Khun Prachar, the Governor of Chonburi also rushed to the scene fearing that fatalities had occurred. The construction is thought to be a Hotel with underground car park and according to Investigators; cement was being laid on the second floor when the collapse took place. Further investigations are now taking place and for now Police have ordered the construction site to be closed until a full safety review is undertaken.

Pattaya One News

So how does this fit with: "Update:

It was view talay 3, soi 6, pratumnak

This building was completed a few years ago and has people living in it, aprox 6 people known dead, and loads trapped inside still.

It was something to do with a lift shaft."

OR

"I live next door and my massage lady arrived just after 12. She was shaking as she told me about it but she said there was an explosion and around 50 were dead or trapped. Apparently many survivors ran onto the beach where she was at the time and most were Cambodian and Burmese workers she said."

No mention of the incident in any online media so far. I am constantly checking the news feeds.

I live next door and my massage lady arrived just after 12. She was shaking as she told me about it but she said there was an explosion and around 50 were dead or trapped. Apparently many survivors ran onto the beach where she was at the time and most were Cambodian and Burmese workers she said. I can see the area from here as a condo blocks my view but amazingly the condo under construction at the rear of this one (same company) is still full steam ahead in construction.

Why "amazingly"?

Why would construction stop on another site, even if it is the same company?