Diabetes

strawberry

Hi All,

in australia the diabetes tests are in mmol/l but here in Thailand the tests are in mg/dl.

So when I was in aust. couple of years back I bought a new accuchek meter which reads mmol/l. That wasn't a big problem until I was consulting doctors here in Thailand and they couldn't convert my readings into thai readings. I took myself to BKK to the Roche building to ask if they could convert my meter and they said no but suggested that I buy a new thai one .Instead I asked how to convert the figures they told me to multiply my mmol/l readings by 18.02. after 2 years I find this is not true and for the past couple of years my readings have actually been hi without me realising this. I figure this is probably why my toes are numb.

Can anyone actually verify this for me

regards Joe

There’s an online converter available here http://www.diabetesmonitor.com/converter.htm

Below is an extract from http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/faq/part1/section-9.html

To convert mmol/l of glucose to mg/dl, multiply by 18.

To convert mg/dl of glucose to mmol/l, divide by 18 or multiply by 0.055.

mmol/l .................................. mg/dl interpretation

------ ----- --------------

2.0 ................................. 35 extremely low, danger of unconciousness

3.0 .................................. 55 low, marginal insulin reaction

4.0 .................................. 75 slightly low, first symptoms of lethargy etc.

5.5 .................................. 100 mecca

5 - 6 ................................ 90-110 normal preprandial in nondiabetics

8.0 ................................. 150 normal postprandial in nondiabetics

10.0 ................................ 180 maximum postprandial in nondiabetics

11.0 ................................. 200

15.0 ................................ 270 a little high to very high depending on patient

16.5 ................................ 300

20.0 ................................ 360 getting up there

22 .................................... 400 max mg/dl for some meters and strips

33 .................................... 600 high danger of severe electrolyte imbalance

Preprandial = before meal

Postprandial = after meal

Edited by Farma