Index Vs. Sb Furniture

bbahngdori

SB is pricier than Index, but they have the occasional "real wood" pieces that'll last you a few years longer. Neither companies can compare to the quality you'll find for about the same price (or less) at the right local Thai carpenter shops.

If you want SERIOUSLY good furniture, go to Bang Po. You can get teak there at very fair prices, custom made too, if you like it like that. There's a shop called Tai Seng that I highly recommend (they deliver). I'm building a house, and will get all my furniture from there too, no contest. :o

At Bang po, you can get contemporary furniture, designed to your specifications in any color. Though, you might have to spend a little time with the carpenters. SP and Index comes in nice little ready-made sets. You planning to stay in Bangkok long?

I need to furnish my condo and I was wondering which company is better.

Index or SB Furniture.

Which has more selections and better quality?

And any suggestions about eletronic store that has audio, vedio and home appliances?

Hi funny you should bring this up - I have just furnished a new condo in Pattaya. I pondered how to furnish it as I wanted contemporary/modern like you and did not want the usual wooden/teak stuff or the very expensive imported stuff. I eventually got a mixture of SB and Index. I got the impression that SB was a bit better in style for some items but I chose items on the basis of style rather than cost or quality, eg bed, bedside tables, TV cabinet were SB but sofas (2), and coffee tables were Index. BTW, Index do a card that gives you 3% off - worthwhile if u buying furniture. The good thing about Index is their store in MBK is very good for browsing. SB are also good and often attached to Home Pro but outside BKK the SB stores don't seem as good as in BKK, but you can always order from the catalogue.

I totally agree with you, Tyke.

It's the style.

I went to furniture fair in Bangna today and saw some solid wood furnitures.

And they were soooooooo not my taste.

SB and Index have nice solid wood beds and real leather sofas.

Not everything they have are veneered.

I bought what I thought would be a nice desk from Index based on the 24,000 baht price. Among all the wood choices available, I chose a maple top from the catalog. Call me stupid, but on delivery I figured out there is no wood to it. It is plastic simulated to look like wood with particle board sandwiched inside. In one spot there is a fly embedded that is impossible to erase unless cutting out a chunk of the top. Some of the plasic top has already started peeling back at the edges, perhaps due to the climate. I see where the guys who installed it didn't have all the right fittings and improvised and never told me or came back to do it right. Index has not been a good experience for me. My advice would be wherever you buy, make sure you know exactly what you are getting and thoroughly inspect the finished product. You can't rely on those things happening automatically which at that price level I made the mistake of thinking that I could.

I bought what I thought would be a nice desk from Index based on the 24,000 baht price. Among all the wood choices available, I chose a maple top from the catalog. Call me stupid, but on delivery I figured out there is no wood to it. It is plastic simulated to look like wood with particle board sandwiched inside. In one spot there is a fly embedded that is impossible to erase unless cutting out a chunk of the top. Some of the plasic top has already started peeling back at the edges, perhaps due to the climate. I see where the guys who installed it didn't have all the right fittings and improvised and never told me or came back to do it right. Index has not been a good experience for me. My advice would be wherever you buy, make sure you know exactly what you are getting and thoroughly inspect the finished product. You can't rely on those things happening automatically which at that price level I made the mistake of thinking that I could.

I agree, you must inspect the furniture in the showroom and after installation before paying/signing anything. One thing Thais are good at is improvisation and cover-ups!

My earlier comment about ordering from a catalogue with Index or SB refers to the situation like mine where I inspected the furniture in a showroom in Bangkok and wanted it for my condo in Pattaya. The showroom in Pattaya did not have it in stock so i ordered it from the catalogue. Never order just from seeing it in their catalogue!

Lets face it - they both sell chipboard veneered furniture. You can get real furniture made for similar prices. Why buy this rubbish at all?

The styling, it's the styling

Also because some of us are OLD and the veneer stuff will last longer than we will !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I guess the best part of the "real Wood"furniture is it can be refinished. I have some INDEX stuff that I have had for 13 years, all still fine. One important thing is water is a problem for high density particle board stuff. Real wood might be better, if it is proper dryed and not green wood. If that real wood stuff is "green"it will crack in no time.

To be honest after 10 years I get tired of the same old furniture anyway....ha ha

Thanks, I was planning to go to MBK this week.

The SB at MBK isn't one of their better branches - not a great range on display.

If you are really interested in their products - which are definitely better quality than Index - suggest you go to their megastore. I went there a month or two back. Can't recall the address but it's in the area of Impact.

The Index at MBK is a good branch, and although quality is inferior, it's still worth checking out.

Mix and match is the way i would go, as someone else said.

• 3 months later...

SB is pricier than Index, but they have the occasional "real wood" pieces that'll last you a few years longer. Neither companies can compare to the quality you'll find for about the same price (or less) at the right local Thai carpenter shops.

If you want SERIOUSLY good furniture, go to Bang Po. You can get teak there at very fair prices, custom made too, if you like it like that. There's a shop called Tai Seng that I highly recommend (they deliver). I'm building a house, and will get all my furniture from there too, no contest. :o

Are you on Koh Samui?

Hopefully for good.

I just found a condo and probably kick back for awhile then I will look for a small business to run.

Not enough nest egg to retire and still young at 40something. :o

good luck with that