Sofitel / Hua Hin

paddy

Howdy All,

I'm off to Hua Hin with my (Thai) wife and also my folks for the new year. I am told we are staying at the Sofitel Hua Hin. I'm wondering if anybody has stayed here and if they have what was it like? Particularly around new year.

I've read some reviews(not many on the web) and on two occasions mosquitoes were mentioned as a problem here, otherwise it's supposed to be one of the best Hotels in SE Asia. Is that the case? I assume it wouldn't be as bad during December / January. I've also read the beach, on occasions, can be quite bad??

Also, I've travelled a lot in other areas of Thailand but have never been to Hua Hin. What's the verdict, all I've heard is that it's quiet but still has a lot to offer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Paddy.

In my view, you've made a good choice at The Sofitel. I've lived in town for over 6 years and whilst I've never stayed in the big hotels, I have been into them all, either to eat, or just look around. The Sofitel has much more charm than The Hilton or City Beach. It's low rise for starters, the grounds are well kept - particularly the topiary - it's in the centre of town and right on the beach.

Don't reckon you'll have much trouble with mosquitoes at that time of year. Malaria is not a problem in this region.

The beach stretches 7/8 kms south to Kao Takieb and is walkable, depending on the tide. You'll certainly get half way. weather good at the moment - don't expect much change for the next few months when it'll heat up. Teps currently @30-32 daytime and rarely below 24ish at night. There can be cooler snaps, but you won't need woolies!!

Town is laid back, compared to BKK, Pattaya, Phuket etc. Nevertheless, there are plenty of watering holes - the sex scene is not in your face and you won't get bothered if you don't want it.

If you play golf, there are 6 top quality courses within 30 mins. Shopping is OK - but not BKK - and the night market is good for local food and dirt cheap. The food is clean.

There are plenty of potential day trip possibilities - Kanchanaburi, national parks, caves etc etc. My advice would be to hire a local taxi and do the trip yourself. It's a fraction of the price the big hotels charge and you've got the freedom to stop and go where and when you want.

By the way. Does the Sofitel pressgang you into taking a New Year dinner? They have done so in the past, in as much as you will pay for it, whether you have it or not. This has always been a bugbear of mine as it tends to quieten the town centre down during the festive season.

Hope that's of some use. Have a good holiday.

Sua Yai,

Thanks for the advice, it's very much appreciated. It's seems to be exactly what I'm looking for on this trip over.

Sofitel have indeed forced the 'New Year Ball' on us. Have you any idea what it's like? They have included a hefty surcharge for it, is it worth it??

Thanks again,

Paddy.

Sua Yai,

Thanks for the advice, it's very much appreciated. It's seems to be exactly what I'm looking for on this trip over.

Sofitel have indeed forced the 'New Year Ball' on us. Have you any idea what it's like? They have included a hefty surcharge for it, is it worth it??

Thanks again,

Paddy.

In one answer "Yes" :D

Welcome to Thailand Paddy :o