Visa Cancellation

I have just lost my job and been told that I have to go to Immigration with my employer so that I can have my one year Non B visa, expring July 2009, cancelled! If I do not do this I will not get back my personal documents (eg. degree etc). How long do I have to stay in the country once my visa is cancelled?

I have just lost my job and been told that I have to go to Immigration with my employer so that I can have my one year Non B visa, expring July 2009, cancelled! If I do not do this I will not get back my personal documents (eg. degree etc). How long do I have to stay in the country once my visa is cancelled?

Judewil,

As far as I know you will have 7 days to clear the country. If you need/want to stay longer then you can kill two birds with one stone and do a two month tourist visa run. This can be extended by a month.

Visa runs are operated from the Sukhumvit area. Check the BP for ad's.

If there are any other complications or you have other employment prospects get some legal advice from one of the companies who advertise on the site.

I have just lost my job and been told that I have to go to Immigration with my employer so that I can have my one year Non B visa, expring July 2009, cancelled! If I do not do this I will not get back my personal documents (eg. degree etc).

Quick question:

Why does your employer have your original degree? I gave my employer my degree and other docs to get my Non-Imm-B, and then they gave everything back to me.

Sorry if this is off-topic.

They cannot cancel your visa. They can only cancel if it is a visa extension based on a work permit, which it sounds like is what you have. Used to be you had 7 days to get out of the country once you lost your job and lost your visa extension based on work permit as they will cancel your work permit. However, I have heard on this forum that you now have to leave the country the same day which of course is completely unreasonable by Thai immigration and seems they are using it to force you to pay 1900 baht just to get 7 days to get out of the country. Make sure you know what's the case or you'll be charged with overstay at the border or airport.

Since the OP is allowed to remain in Thailand till July 2009 means that he is on a 1 year extension based on his employment.

If his WP gets canceled, his extension is automatically voided, you have to leave the same day your WP is canceled!

You can however get a 7 day extension for the price of 1900 Baht, immigration will NOT refuse this extension.

I have just lost my job and been told that I have to go to Immigration with my employer so that I can have my one year Non B visa, expring July 2009, cancelled!

I don’t think that the immigration office can cancel your work permit. It would have to be the Employment Department but I understand they no longer require cancellation of the work permit. See here, under the heading “employment visa cancellation”:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...09%26Itemid%3D9

Note: For a correct understanding of that text, for “visa” read “extension”, for “visa extension” read “extension of stay”

--

Maestro