The Logistics Of Keeping A Dog In Bkk

corkman

Hi everyone,

I have been contemplating bringing a dog to thailand. I'll be living in an apartment (most likely) in bangkok and was wondering how and what people do with regard to keeping a dog in such an environment? I live in a sub-urban area here in ireland, I have a small back yard, and I take the dog for short walks daily...... I dunno how things would apply in bkk? What do people typically do?

To be honest, if I were moving to bkk permanently, I would probably look for a new home for the dog here - but I will be in bkk for 2-3yrs max, and the dog is only about 3yrs old........ so it would only be a temporary thing.

If anyone reading owns a small to medium sized dog, and lives in bangkok, and would care to tell me a little about your daily routine with your dog, then it would be much aprpeciated.

Many thanks for your input.

Girlx,

That's what I'm thinking - but it is an aweful dilema to be in :o

My choices are:

(1) Bring her with us - in spite of Bkk not being the most dog friendly place.

(2) Let her behind, and try to find her a good home.

The latter would be ideal, but my fear is that if we cannot find her a good home then she'll be off the dogs home - and we all know what happens there to the vast majority of dogs...... unfortunately. If it comes to pass that we actually do decide to relocate, then I will be trying my absolute best to re-home her. But if we cannot find her a good home...... but I am hoping for the best and plannign for the worst.

Hence, if it does come to the choice between giving her to the dogs home or bringing her with us, then I was wondering how people manage with dogs in Bkk.? First challenge of course is to find an apartment that is "pet friendly" - this will be difficult, but I have seen them advertised. I know it will be easy to get food at Chatuchak etc. The greatest challenges will be walking her and dealing with her (trying not to be crude) "going to the toilet". I'm just wondering what people do, and how they deal with that side of the things, namely the latter.

As per my previous post - I would not even be contemplating this if were not for the the fact that this "move" is a temporary measure. We will be in bkk for 2yrs - 3yrs at the most...... at a moral level, I am finding it difficult to "throw her to the wolves" when we'll be back relatively soon, and she is only 3yrs old....... I obvisouly didn't envisage this move when we got her 3yrs ago...... for me immigration is the unfortunate result of the global economy, and is my last resort.... but its either Thailand or the Midle East, of which Thailand is the lesser pf two evils (nothing against the midle east, just the Mrs. is Thai).

Many thanks.

Edited by corkman

Girlx,

That's what I'm thinking - but it is an aweful dilema to be in :o

My choices are:

(1) Bring her with us - in spite of Bkk not being the most dog friendly place.

(2) Let her behind, and try to find her a good home.

The latter would be ideal, but my fear is that if we cannot find her a good home then she'll be off the dogs home - and we all know what happens there to the vast majority of dogs...... unfortunately. If it comes to pass that we actually do decide to relocate, then I will be trying my absolute best to re-home her. But if we cannot find her a good home...... but I am hoping for the best and plannign for the worst.

Hence, if it does come to the choice between giving her to the dogs home or bringing her with us, then I was wondering how people manage with dogs in Bkk.? First challenge of course is to find an apartment that is "pet friendly" - this will be difficult, but I have seen them advertised. I know it will be easy to get food at Chatuchak etc. The greatest challenges will be walking her and dealing with her (trying not to be crude) "going to the toilet". I'm just wondering what people do, and how they deal with that side of the things, namely the latter.

As per my previous post - I would not even be contemplating this if were not for the the fact that this "move" is a temporary measure. We will be in bkk for 2yrs - 3yrs at the most...... at a moral level, I am finding it difficult to "throw her to the wolves" when we'll be back relatively soon, and she is only 3yrs old....... I obvisouly didn't envisage this move when we got her 3yrs ago...... for me immigration is the unfortunate result of the global economy, and is my last resort.... but its either Thailand or the Midle East, of which Thailand is the lesser pf two evils (nothing against the midle east, just the Mrs. is Thai).

Many thanks.

well, i guess it depends on where in bangkok you live then. i would try for the suburbs. get a little house with a yard. i know there are some on issaraphrap road over the river because i was in this dilemma once too. luckily i found a home for my dog (with an israeli family who lives in the jungle). she would have been soooo miserable in the city!

thanks girlx,

well I am looking at living anywhere on the MRT route really...... so I should be able to find something - and the Mrs. is Thai so we will the advantage that she speaks the language to finding places perhaps less frequented by farang's.......

we'll see.

Thanks.

I know of a few TV members who have dogs (such as whippet, boxer, Jack russel terrier, Bullterrier) in BKK.

Although, it's a hassle it is certainly not impossible. Much depends on how much time and effort you are willing and able to invest in bringing your dog to a proper walking place and actually walk your dog.

If you do a search on this forum you'll find a few recommendations for walking places in BKK.

If you feel your dog is part of your family, I suggest to bring your family member with you. Unless, of course, you are able to find an excellent new home for your dog and all parties (including you and your wife and especially the dog) are happy with this solution.

Nienke

I know of a few TV members who have dogs (such as whippet, boxer, Jack russel terrier, Bullterrier) in BKK.

Although, it's a hassle it is certainly not impossible. Much depends on how much time and effort you are willing and able to invest in bringing your dog to a proper walking place and actually walk your dog.

If you do a search on this forum you'll find a few recommendations for walking places in BKK.

If you feel your dog is part of your family, I suggest to bring your family member with you. Unless, of course, you are able to find an excellent new home for your dog and all parties (including you and your wife and especially the dog) are happy with this solution.

Nienke

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Well the Mrs. will be at home 24/7 anyway - with nothing else better to do.............

Hi,

dogs will adapt to a lot of different circumstances. Ireland to here should be OK but if you are only coming over for 2-3 years: check what are the chances of taking her back to Ireland when you leave.

You can still live in a townhouse or a small house nearby the Sukhumvit axis : does not have to be a condo. I know of a labrador living on the 19th floor in a condo complex. OK for a lazy older dog with a good bladder control for the elevator ride!

The Thonglor area is a good one for services for foreigners. No parks to walk : streets...well it depends on a lot of factors. Some are quiet: some are refuges for street dogs who don;t take too kindly to "farang" dogs walking by! Both of you will need to wise up to "big city living".

I have improted my whippet from Australia and i would need a 6 months stay in Europe/North America to have a chance to take her back there. So check on your rules of importation back to Ireland.

If ok: the whole process is not too complicated to bring her here: follow the thread on importing a dog.

also check the thread on parks: the Ministry of Public Health is a really good one. I take my dog there on a regular basis. You need a car or taxis will take you there: some will balk at seing the dog; others it will be ok.

Hi,

dogs will adapt to a lot of different circumstances. Ireland to here should be OK but if you are only coming over for 2-3 years: check what are the chances of taking her back to Ireland when you leave.

You can still live in a townhouse or a small house nearby the Sukhumvit axis : does not have to be a condo. I know of a labrador living on the 19th floor in a condo complex. OK for a lazy older dog with a good bladder control for the elevator ride!

The Thonglor area is a good one for services for foreigners. No parks to walk : streets...well it depends on a lot of factors. Some are quiet: some are refuges for street dogs who don;t take too kindly to "farang" dogs walking by! Both of you will need to wise up to "big city living".

I have improted my whippet from Australia and i would need a 6 months stay in Europe/North America to have a chance to take her back there. So check on your rules of importation back to Ireland.

If ok: the whole process is not too complicated to bring her here: follow the thread on importing a dog.

also check the thread on parks: the Ministry of Public Health is a really good one. I take my dog there on a regular basis. You need a car or taxis will take you there: some will balk at seing the dog; others it will be ok.

Thanks for that - the "return to Ireland" thing had just dawned on me prior to reading your post....... dunno where I'm going to find out about that..... my neighbours just came back from Australia with their dog actually, so they should be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the heads up - all info much appreciated.

Well, it looks like I have a resolution to my "situation" and I will not need to bring our dog with us. In principle, arrangements have been made for her to stay with someone while we are away - and she will come back to us when we return.....

I think it is a good compromise and will be in the best interests of the animal whilst satisfying our need to "keep" her.....

If things change I will revert to you good people with my queries - thank you very much for reading and contributing.

No to both, but you can take small songtoew: kind of small open sided vans with no problems and some taxis will accept small dogs. I have some refusals about my dog cage once in a while when coming back from a dogshow. Usually the next taxi will be more hungry and accepts the cage: it fits on the back seat.

Coming back from a park quite often my whippet just sits on my lap on the back seat, on a towel. If they don't want a dog thety don;t stop when flagged down.