Naughty Cheats At Siam Paragon

chivo

I recently bought a krups espresso maker at siam paragon. i figured a mall of that stature would be on the up and up.

The scam occurred when after the sale was made, the employee then asks if I want to buy the water filter which is not included. He explained the benefits and it seemed a worthwhile device. I offered my credit card for the 875 thai baht purchase. He says no, that it can only be paid in cash. I found this strange, but was in a hurry so offered him a 1000 thai baht cash note.

Feeling strange I followed him silently over to where the cash register is. But he produces my change 125 baht from his own personal wallet. I ask for a reciept. He makes some excuse about can't do it now. I am in a hurry so I leave. At home, it all becomes obvious: the label on the filter says FREE SAMPLE.

So basically they got a free promotional sample that I believe is normally given to consumers but decided to make some pocket money. I guess they couldn't read the english FREE SAMPLE on the pack or hoped I wouldn't notice it.

and of course, i try to use siam paragon website to look for a contact email or complaints address and it's down.

i'm not gonna lose sleep over 875 baht, and i can't be bothered to go thru traffic to go there and make a fuss, so thought i'd pass on the reminder to you all, keep yer eyes open!

It’s a nice little illusion to think that because you are in a high-end department store you will not be subject to staff rip offs. The most common one I have encountered is not giving customers their sales discount. Several times at Emporium, Central and Paragon, I have had to physically pick up the sign and insist on the discount. Some staff are very amusing once they get caught going so far as to say “I did not think you wanted the discount”. One even told me the discount was for Thai people only. Give me a break. I am not sure what their motivation is – do they get more commission not giving you the discount? I have also had similar experiences to the OP, but more in terms of not being given the promotional items that accompany the sale. Sadly for these thieves I can read Thai and know what I am entitled to.

Many people complain on websites like these about the ways how they get treated sometimes by Thai people, be it when you buy something or when you enter a national park and get charged 10 times as much. But when they have a chance to do something about it they chicken out with lousy excuses ('its to far away', 'I learned from it', 'I take my loss') but still they continue complaining (see this thread). How can you expect something to change if your too afraid to stand up for yourself. Many times farang complain they get no respect from Thai people, well I fully understand it, why give respect to a loud person that actually is afraid of you? Because always in the back of your head you know that the situation could turn very very quickly nasty against you.. In that case, stop whining!

Aiai, no friends made with this one :-(

Cheers,

MBL

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You quote yourself & then agree with yourself? Get a grip sport.

I said "You appear to be slow" is that an insult?

Now you appear to be a dolt. Keep posting & prove it.

It doesn't take a genius to work out which post I was replying to.

an update for anyone interested: i contacted siam paragon cust.service and they replied within 1 day. here's what they wrote back:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your mail regarding the above.

Please be informed I have passed your mail to the person-in-charge in Paragon Department Store. As per our normal practice, we will have our staff contact you soon.

Mr XXXXX, on behalf of Siam Paragon, I apologize you for this unimpressive incident occurred. Nevertheless, please be reassured we take this kind of action very seriously. I am confident that the person-in-charge in Department Store will do the investigation on the salesperson, whether he is our own employee or be representative staff from Krups company, though whichever it is, already brought negative image to Siam Paragon.

Also, I will appreciate it if you would kindly scan the receipt via email to me. Thank you once again.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXX

The appliance section at Siam Paragon has the worst customer service.

We recently had a horror experience there after buying an item.

They failed to communicate with the supplier, kept blaming each other.

We spoke with a Thai male "manager" who was a major bull-shitter.

Fortunately, when we came back, a Thai lady manger helped us and we got our refund.

Buyers beware!

The appliance section at Siam Paragon has the worst customer service.

We recently had a horror experience there after buying an item.

They failed to communicate with the supplier, kept blaming each other.

We spoke with a Thai male "manager" who was a major bull-shitter.

Fortunately, when we came back, a Thai lady manger helped us and we got our refund.

Buyers beware!

Seems to me if the the Thai lady manager helped you and you got your refund that it doesn't qualify as 'the worst customer service"? :o

an update for anyone interested: i contacted siam paragon cust.service and they replied within 1 day. here's what they wrote back:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your mail regarding the above.

Please be informed I have passed your mail to the person-in-charge in Paragon Department Store. As per our normal practice, we will have our staff contact you soon.

Mr XXXXX, on behalf of Siam Paragon, I apologize you for this unimpressive incident occurred. Nevertheless, please be reassured we take this kind of action very seriously. I am confident that the person-in-charge in Department Store will do the investigation on the salesperson, whether he is our own employee or be representative staff from Krups company, though whichever it is, already brought negative image to Siam Paragon.

Also, I will appreciate it if you would kindly scan the receipt via email to me. Thank you once again.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXX

Well if you told Paragon the same story that you told this thread then they clearly welcome your complaint so it seems so far that it was justified. Should put to rest all the hot air from the detractors, but let us know what transpires. At least it might prevent something similar happening in future to, say, an old person who doesn't have the same faculties as you to detect a blatant rip off.

Seems to me if the the Thai lady manager helped you and you got your refund that it doesn't qualify as 'the worst customer service"? :o
YES, it does! Because I'm a spoiled, self-righteous bastard and I shouldn't have to deal with this crap. (Hee hee, I'm kidding.) :D

Good answer, I haven't smiled all day, have a nice weekend!

Was the OP ripped off or did he rip himself off? Did he not see 'free sample' on the box before it was put in the bag? If you buy a television, for example, you are not given the display model but a new boxed one. So do you just take that home or do you check it in the store to ensure that the remote control, etc. are in the box?

We all know where your moral center is, theft is OK for the poor. How you arrived at this is interesting belief I am not entirely sure - were you a poor thief yourself at some point and now seek to justify your previous criminal actions, or maybe you have one in your family, or is it only OK for poor Thais to be thieves? Remember, you find this action morally OK, so no insult intended.

Feel free to insult me as much as you want, but to bring my Family into it.....c'mon mate, you're above that surely.

I know it's an anonymous forum, but even I wouldn't stoop so low.

You disappoint me. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Was the OP ripped off or did he rip himself off? Did he not see 'free sample' on the box before it was put in the bag? If you buy a television, for example, you are not given the display model but a new boxed one. So do you just take that home or do you check it in the store to ensure that the remote control, etc. are in the box?

There is an old adage we should all take to heart "Customer beware " you are your own worst enemy .

We should all be aware of an old adage "Customer beware " we are , or can be , our own worst enemy , never believe any-one in sales , check the contents and ask to have the item plugged in to ensure it works .

well i guess it shows a degree of enterprise on their part ... and irrespective of whether you got what you paid for or not - any further action would have as much impact as a fart in a cow shed.

the volume of rip-offs, theft and corruption is a large part of what gives thailand such a bad name - and rightly so - but it's all part and parcel of the game here i guess.

to enjoy the game just treat it as one.

speaking of coffee - where can i buy PG Tips in this town?

You think exactly like a Thai and even my wife says this is the exact reason this country has gone down the shitter.

I'll give you a few months of depressive weather and miserable people in the UK before you're kicking and screaming to get back. :D

Wasn`t born there, ain`t going there either. :o

Better luck next time. :D

I have been short-changed a few times at a coffee shop I go to regularly. I really have no problem with someone trying to make an extra baht for themselves, and only want to kick myself for being stupid. If you've ever been to Eastern Europe, Thailand is a piece of cake. There it's outright robbery.

I was buying a beer at a family mart in the morning and the kid shorted me 10bt,when I asked he pulled it out of his shirt pocket............ha :o

We all know where your moral center is, theft is OK for the poor. How you arrived at this is interesting belief I am not entirely sure - were you a poor thief yourself at some point and now seek to justify your previous criminal actions, or maybe you have one in your family, or is it only OK for poor Thais to be thieves? Remember, you find this action morally OK, so no insult intended.

Feel free to insult me as much as you want, but to bring my Family into it.....c'mon mate, you're above that surely.

I know it's an anonymous forum, but even I wouldn't stoop so low.

You disappoint me. :o

As i said, you cannot view it is an insult, as you do not find these actions morally wrong. Where is the insult?