Registering Baby Born In Thailand

frangipani

Hi All

Just have a quick question. I hold both British and Thai citizenship. Not married but I believe it's irrelevant in the mother's case of passing on citizenship. Just had my daughter this month, and I'm planning to go home (Germany) soon as possible.

I need to apply for her British Passport soon as. I have read here that the Thai Birth Certificate need to be certified by the Thai Consular service at Chaeng Wattana? I am currently in Pattaya, do I really need to go to this place to have the document translated..is it in Bangkok? Is there anyway I can get it translated at Pattaya? I'm worried about sending a copy which the Embassy wouldn't accept and wasting time.

Thanks!!!!

You can get it translated anywhere, but you still have to have to take the translated document to the MFA Legalization Division in Chaeng Wattana to have it stamped (notarized?) as an official and accurate translation - which makes it a legal document suitable for use on your embassy's passport application. At least that's how it worked in my case (for our daughter's US passport application).

Please note - If the translation is not accurate, they may make you go back have it done over - so make sure to use a reputable translation outfit.

• 1 year later...
I guess it would be possible to get a passport based on the birthcertificate as their it is stated that you are the father. They don't check if you have legitimised the child. I believe they only check if a parent makes the claim to have sole custody if that is indeed the case.

The certainty you want you can only get from checking your legal status regarding your child at the amphur. I hope I'm wrong, but I do know for a fact that the Dutch embassy consideres a baby not registered by the father himself but by a hospital as not being legitimised under Thai law. I'm interested in the outcome, so hope you will posted here.

I have another scenario if you could shed light on that. I had sex with a girl over 7-8 months ago and that was it. Never again. She gets pregnant and marries her boyfriend. Now, 7-8 months later she gives me a call and fears that the child could be mine. I was surprised and questioned why would she be calling me after 7-8 months into her pregnancy. I do not want the child. Moreover, I am engaged and getting married by the end of this year myself. She says she does not want to trouble me with this as she loves her husband, but only worries that her husband might leave her if he questions the legitimacy of his being the father.

Both the girl and I are Thai, and also her husband is Thai. What happens in situations like these and what are my rights if I do not accept the child as I presumed she should be on contraception and be more careful, even though I was wearing a condom. Anyways, too late for that argument. Please advise what can I do to keep away from any future claims of me being the biological father and are there any legal consequences to that? Thanks

The fact that you used a contraception is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is if you are the biological father or not. If you, are the law says you have responsibilities towards the child.

Under Thai law, a child born during a marriage is considered to be the legitimate child of the husband of the childs mother. If the husband isn't the biological father, he can denounce the child as his. In that case, if you are the biological fahter, you can be asked to be recognised as the legal father. The mother of the child can do the same and also demand child support from you. The child being legaly yours, would also mean that the child has a claim to your belongings when you die.

In short, you will have to wait and see if the child is indeed your and if the husband of your ex-girlfriend will accept the child as his or not. If the child is not his and he denounces the child the mother or the child can lay a claim on you for child support. That would be a few thousand baht a month.

You can read more in section 1537 and follwowing:

http://www.thailawonline.com/images/thaici...l%20code%20.pdf

Thai version: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...ode_ver2552.pdf