A Decent Pump

missismiggins

Do any of you guys know a make of pump (the little four cylinder jobbies) that are driven by a stand alone engine that is reliable and strong.

I am after a pump that can be used from the 200 litre tank via a Honda 6.5HP engine to pump "booey" and insecticide via the ahand held wand...advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Yup - go into any decent ag supply/hardware store in a rural come farming area and they should have a half dozen or so different types you can choose 1 from. Common in Thailand are the Thai and/or Chinese made high pressure reciprocating piston pumps - usualy cast in brass with ceramic or ss pistons - depending on engine speed they can run anywhere from from 10bar through to around 200bar.

Put in a split - T (ball valve each T - end to adjust flow rates out each end) - use one end to feed the spray applicator and the other T-end (wide open) via a loose hose in the tank as an agitator to keep the chemicals mixed.

Not sure if the following pics of a 4 cyl engine and pump might be of any use to you, but they are free to anybody who will look after them and keep them running in good working order, usually museums and the like i believe.

This was the last pumping station i helped to re-furbish, the engines you see are 1938 flat 4 Crosselys, 5 in all, and if i remember rightly, 210hp at 340 rpm, the pumps are Sykes & Gyness, 5ft dia worm, The Crossleys weighed 15tons each, and the pumps about 9tons.

They will be replaced with V8 Scania engines, but the pumps will remain, So after 70 years service, the only reason they are being changed i that they cant be converted to telemetry [remote/auto start] Auto oil and coolant top-up, coolant jacket heaters for easy starting ect, and of course, 4 men out of work!!

This set-up could make the most fearsome motorized spay back-packs of all time,

Fuel, Heavy Oil [red diesel] 3/4 ton 1 hour

Empty weight 24 tons

Spray liters per minute, no idea!! how many liters in 200 tons of water per minute?

OP, sorry for being a bit off-topic here, but your post reminded me what i used to do in the UK, [4cy pump] and perhaps some of us needed cheering up a bit, Farming for profit in Thai aint easy, Ok, enjoy the pics all, and there is more if anybody would like,

Cheers, Lickey,,

post-41116-1220908699_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1220908770_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1220908851_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1220908909_thumb.jpg

post-41116-1220908962_thumb.jpg

OP, sorry for being a bit off-topic here, but your post reminded me what i used to do in the UK, [4cy pump] and perhaps some of us needed cheering up a bit, Farming for profit in Thai aint easy, Ok, enjoy the pics all, and there is more if anybody would like,

Cheers, Lickey,,

I think you are spot on Lickey

We could all use a bit of cheering up amid the day-to-day battle and you definitely brought a smile to my face.

Can you imagine the Heath Robinson gear that could be made here to spray everything with this tackle, and all at once, all of Isaan all at once. WOW. The whole village flying through the air, desparately trying to control the 1/2" output hose, guys running around with strips of inner tube sealing up leaks, dogs barking and buffalos charging. Amazing....

Thanks for the pick me up

Isaanaussie

Fred Dibnah would have snapped them up. He's dead now isn't he.

Sad .......... good old Victorian engineering been thrown out along with the jobs it supports - I'd be suprized if the modern replacements actually do turn out to be as efficient and as relaible in the long run as these have proven to be.

Glad that cheered you up IsaanAussie, Mary Poppins comes to mind when i picture a thai with an over-powered spray gun, floating around in the air!!

MF, yes, Fred Dibnah died of cancer Nov 2004,

I feel its very true that the Scania engines wont last 10 yrs, never mind 70! they might be 470bhp and run at 400bhp for pumping,but even then they are working hard, The Crosselleys were a direct drive into the pump via a 4 ton flywheel, also air-start, once they are lifting and pumping, the engine note never changed.

Whole new story with the Scanias, they have a shot coupling [heavy metal shot centrifugal] which conect to the pump at 1200 rpm, they black smoke once the water is in the pump for about 5 mins, so thats a lot of pressure on the engine..

Cheers Lickey.

Thanks guys, liked the pictures, a little on the large size for what I need!

Any brand names you can reccomend??

Nope - the cast brass piston high pressure piston pumps for sale in Thailand - made in Thailand and/or China - are all the same more or less in terms of quality. Just try and establish what the pistons are made of: ceramic best, stainless next and brass/bronze next.

They tend to look like the one in the attached picture - and for some reason the body is often painted red (in Thailand)

post-32552-1221037111.jpg

Edited by Maizefarmer

Cheers Maizefarmer, just trying to make sure I didn't by a duff brand - will look for the ceramic version.

The bare shaft sticking out on the right hand side of the pump body? - thats to put on whatever size pulley you want: choose the pully according to the engine output rpm i.e. size the pulley relative to the engine output shaft pulley to get the rpm's/water pressure you want. Again, any decent small town hardware store will have a whole range of pulley sizes from 3"diameter thru to about 3feet diameter.